Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

KL residential posting...where, when, how

KL residential posting...where, when, how

Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:37 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice
Default KL residential posting...where, when, how

I've trawled posts on here trying to find some info but come up a bit confused.
Some older posts (started 2004) say KL is unsafe etc

We are 2 A + 2 C, OH probably being posted to KL next year (2010) & I am trying to source information....any really.... about moving, condo's, schools, cost of living, transport....all the usual stuff we need to know when moving internationally to a country I know nothing about. We are not doing MM2H, having discovered what that was.

So is it possible for someone to give me current info on KL, living, working & schooling please. 1C in primary, 1C insecondary...need 3 bed place, where's safe & clean/respectful/etc

Thanks so much
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice
Default Re: KL residential posting...where, when, how

Hi there

We have lived in KL now for coming up for a year and have (mostly!) enjoyed it very much. Like any large city, there are good bits and not so good bits. We live in KLCC (KL City Centre) - which is where the towers are. In that area, there is lots of good quality 'expat' accommodation - virtually all apartments running 1500sq feet or so, all the way up to 4000 sq feet and above. We live right now at the Dua Residency (which can be found on Google Maps) to give you some idea of locations available in KLCC - and there is a bunch of folk (some with kids) from Australia and elsewhere staying here.

There appear to be two other popular expat areas - Bangsar and Mont Kiara. These areas offer houses to rent (pretty expensive I hear - my colleague is paying around MYR15000/month) - but they are closer to international schools which could be an advantage to you.

Check out the website of the American Association of Malaysia (we are members there) for details of international schools and the like:

http://www.klamerican.com/links.html

Regarding safety, we have not had any problems - but we hear of house break-ins, bag snatching and the occasional mugging - so you want to live somewhere with good (and obvious) security, and you need to behave like you would in any other major city (ie don't go down dark alleys in the middle of the night!). But otherwise I get the impression that most KL located expats enjoy themselves immensely here.

Finally, regarding cost of living - apart from rents (which vary widely depending on where you end up - we are paying MYR10,500 for a nice three bed apartment), everything else you need on a day to day basis is cheapish - we came from Houston (which itself is pretty cheap), and find that there is little difference. Oh except for wine and beer which, although plentiful, is I would say 50% more than I am used to!

Hope this initial info. helps.

Tahiti_Bound
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KL residential posting...where, when, how

Noted that MM2H is not applicable to you, but you may like to try this site.

http://www.my2home.info/index.php

This takes you to the index page. Ignore the MM2H stuff at the top and scroll down to section "Living in Malaysia". There's a lot of up to date info on there and folks that live in KL and the suburbs. Try some postings on there. Best of luck.