Reload this Page >

Introduction from a possible mm2h

Introduction from a possible mm2h

Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Tenerifeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introduction from a possible mm2h

Hello everybody,
I'm a Brit but have been living in Tenerife, Canary Islands for the last 25 years and now retired. I've been looking at retiring to Asia for the last few years and cannot make up my mind between Thailand and Philippines, I did look at Malaysia and the mm2h program a few years ago but was put off Malaysia by the religion and the climate. However now that I have the time, I think perhaps I should look at Malaysia before making a decision. What do I want? Warmth, a decent place to live (I don't like apartment living) somewhere not too far from the sea or with views of the sea would be fine. I'm widowed, young for my age, would love to meet and settle down with a younger Asian lady (very easy to do in both Thailand and the Phils). I'm not into bars and nightclubs but do like to eat out as well as cook at home. My ideal place would be a 2 bed bungalow/house with a decent sized garden to grow some fruit and veg, quiet with views..... not too far from a beach and some decent shops. I'm not wealthy but do have a nice nest egg as well as my pension, I don't need to work but love to "do" something.

Am I dreaming or is this a possible? It seems to me that Malaysia is the choice of couples whereas Thailand and Phils is the choice of single people. I would appreciate replies both for and against.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Introduction from a possible mm2h

I have a list of things that I might like to do in my retirement.

Build a small boat for simple sailing/fishing.

Acuaponics

Write a book

Expand some of my websites

Learn the local language

Just be lazy.

Any suggestions or criticisms welcome

Last edited by Tenerifeman; Jul 26th 2012 at 4:01 pm. Reason: Second thoughts
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:32 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tenerifeman

Welcome to the Malaysia forums on BE. We have several members here on MM2H visas who will no doubt join in on this thread when they have the chance. Penang seems to be a popular place for retirement, ticking some of those boxes you mentioned. Not sure about the Philippines but there is def a different feel here to Thailand, much more conservative and there are the religious aspects to consider as well (as you mentioned, above). If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you touch base with members on the SE Asia forums about your other choices too.

Cheers
ajw
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Hey Tenerifeman,

Personally, I love Malaysia, maybe 10 years ago I would have preferred Thailand or the Phillis, but hey ho I'm happily married now.

Looking at your criteria maybe somewhere like Langkawi, Terengganu or Sabah could possibly satisfy your Autumnal desires.

Do some in depth research & I wish you luck where ever you decide to settle.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat
Hey Tenerifeman,

Personally, I love Malaysia, maybe 10 years ago I would have preferred Thailand or the Phillis, but hey ho I'm happily married now.

Looking at your criteria maybe somewhere like Langkawi, Terengganu or Sabah could possibly satisfy your Autumnal desires.

Do some in depth research & I wish you luck where ever you decide to settle.
Thanks for the reply. I assume you married a local lady.... did you meet after you relocated or was she the reason you chose Malaysia?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm it's a difficult decision. I guess the first step is to work out if you are actually eligible for the MM2H visa I think. I've heard elsewhere that they are really tightening up on visa runners now, so you probably need a pukka visa.

Suggest you first go to the top of the Malaysia sub-forum and read the Sticky that I've written re MM2H. If you think you can meet the requirements.

I'm in Penang as you can see. Take a look but I suspect you might want something a bit more laid back and I see you don't like condos. Top Hat has come up with some good suggestions there. I've not been to Sabah but yes could be a good choice. Very near to equator and suspect verrrry high humidity though. But you won't tick all the boxes anywhere you look.

Terengganu is quite Malay isn't it?

Langkawi is beautiful and laid back and gorgeous beaches, but also very Malay. I think you may find it difficult to buy a house there officially as it's mainly Malay land (I think) but probably plenty of renting options. Paradoxically, although Malay, it's a duty free island so plenty of booze (if that is your thing) and quite a few very fine marinas... it's boating country so the boat angle might come into play.

I've lived in Thailand but I'm not a man, so I shall not comment You can go over to the Thailand forum and discuss with Nonthaburi and others who can advise. The retirement visa is only a 1 year renewable one. I found it a pain in the bum as you have to report to Immigration every 3 months but, on the other hand, it's an easy visa to get.

I've never been to the 'Peens but I do know that it has an excellent retirement visa and may be easier to get than MM2H. And if you pick the right location in the 'Peens, can be very pleasant climate. Check out the Philippines sub-forum on here.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... you mentioned religion... and you also mentioned ladies. Malaysia is really a complete mixture of religions though the "official" religion is Islam. If you settle in a concentrated Malay area, I guess you will meet mostly Malay women and that would require you to convert to Islam if you met someone.

There are of course many Malaysian Chinese ladies in the country. I think I am right in saying mostly Christian or Buddhist, or in the case of some of my friends in Penang, both

I've got a feeling that Sabah has a high proportion of Christians. Top Hat will probably know.

Just thinking...if you do check out Penang (majority Chinese racially) take a look at Tanjung Bungah and Batu Ferringhi areas, more laid back/quiet and the beaches are OK (not as good as Langkawi mind).

Got a great idea... build your boat in Penang, meet a nice young lady, then sail off to Langkawi
Old Jul 28th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the excellent replies. I believe that I can qualify for mm2h, not with a government pension but with a lump sum, I've just had a complete and exhaustive medical in a Thai hospital which showed no problems at all, and I have no police record. I have just spent 3 months in Thailand and the Phils and have been visiting the two countries 3 or 4 times a year for the last 5 years so know the set up quite well. Both countries have their pros and cons.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Got a great idea... build your boat in Penang, meet a nice young lady, then sail off to Langkawi

I was only thinking of a small dinghy type of boat. Your idea sounds great though
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:01 pm

Not just lump sum. You have to show assets PLUS offshore income rm 10,000 per month. After proving that, you get conditional approval letter and that's when the Fixed Deposit comes into play.

BTW you don't need to be healthy for MM2H. If you cannot get med insurance they will accept a refusal letter from insurance company. Neat uh?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:07 pm

Ha...all countries have their pros and cons and Malaysia no different there, but I like it. As always, horses for courses tho. Happy planning.... lots of research eh?

Out of curiosity, what's putting you off the Peens?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Tenerifeman why do you want to leave Tenerife?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Hi T man,

If religion is a problem, look at Sabah or Sarawak..mostly christian. For MM2H consider Sarawak as an MM2H visa there is good for the whole country, unlike a peninsular visa that's only good for the peninsular. Also houses in Sarawak are min RM350k rather RM500k for MM2H everywhere else.
English widely spoken and the justice system is based on British law. Generally prices for everyday items possibly a fraction cheaper in peninsular and outside monsters like KL people are friendly and welcoming. Kuching is a lovely place as is the cowboy town of Sibu in Sarawak Miri, Bintulu and duty free labuan are oil towns, but nice enough. In Sabah, KK is again a big town but nice enough. For mine Sandakan is the best, with a wonderful bay and islands, great fishing and views, cheap and very friendly. A sailing paradise.
Did i mention that Sarawk Iban and Sabah Kadazan ladies are stunning?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:45 pm

What about peninsular ladies eh?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Did i mention that Sarawk Iban and Sabah Kadazan ladies are stunning?
Trouble is with the ones I knew anyway, they all had gold teeth filling their mouths.

That was a long time ago mind and with all the piercings and tattoos etc going on these days then gold teeth maybe an even greater attraction now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.