Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Induction cookers in Malaysia

Induction cookers in Malaysia

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:06 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Induction cookers in Malaysia

A bit of a longshot this one - but has anyone any experience of induction cookers in Malaysia, what is available, and if it's possible in condos I am complete beginner here so if anyone has anything to say.... good and bad.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future
Default Re: Induction cookers in Malaysia

All I know of induction cookers are that they look neat, expensive, works well and easy to keep clean but if you want to cook Asian, better to stick to gas cooktops.

redbean
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by redbean
All I know of induction cookers are that they look neat, expensive, works well and easy to keep clean but if you want to cook Asian, better to stick to gas cooktops.

redbean
Got a mate (single) who uses it for everything when cooking at home...which is not that often!!. Has had it for yonks and swears by it. Prices at Giant are coming down I note.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:54 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't need to cook Asian, as I'm in Penang I'm guessing you are talking about anything stir-fried? As mentioned, I am a babe on this subject but just did a google and wikpedia reckons it is good for stir-frying. I'll stick a link in case anyone wants to read up about it. Don't know if that is true or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker

Noted re Giant - may go have a look at the hypermarket - cheers. I know they are expensive but this is a one-off purchase and will probably see me out
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Thanks for the link. Did you note the drawbacks especially this bit..."but induction-compatible woks, for example, with rounded bottoms, need an induction cooker that fits the shape of the wok"

I have yet to see an induction cooker in the market that are manufactured to fit the shape of a wok!! Wouldn't that be so cool!

If you do stir fry, you need a wok and a gas cooker! I do stir fry and hate frying using regular cookware with flat bottom.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:09 am

Nah... all my stir-fry needs are taken care of by the local foodcourt. Just doesn't seem right stir-frying in Penang when I can get a Char Kway Teow for a few ringgits and somebody else can do the washing up

Got a bit of research to do on induction. I shall post any findings back on here.

Certainly in terms of heat, induction is hotter than gas, so it must be possible to stir-fry if you really want to.

Will need a complete new set of pans - but that's a great excuse to replace all my old ones.

One concern that has cropped up already - and reading a thread on the Aussie sub-forum on here - is that some condo units need to be re-wired (re-cabled?? ) as induction needs 30 amp cabling I think. As I don't really know what I'm talking about here, heh heh , I'm only half sure about this. Must chat with our renovator and get my Technical Department (Mr bakedbean) involved.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Nah... all my stir-fry needs are taken care of by the local foodcourt. Just doesn't seem right stir-frying in Penang when I can get a Char Kway Teow for a few ringgits and somebody else can do the washing up

Got a bit of research to do on induction. I shall post any findings back on here.

Certainly in terms of heat, induction is hotter than gas, so it must be possible to stir-fry if you really want to.

Will need a complete new set of pans - but that's a great excuse to replace all my old ones.

One concern that has cropped up already - and reading a thread on the Aussie sub-forum on here - is that some condo units need to be re-wired (re-cabled?? ) as induction needs 30 amp cabling I think. As I don't really know what I'm talking about here, heh heh , I'm only half sure about this. Must chat with our renovator and get my Technical Department (Mr bakedbean) involved.
Actually used my friends induction hot plate these few days. Only uses regular 15amp (English style ) wall plug. He has a heavy flat bottomed wok so no drama there. I did note that the pots, whatever used needed a very flat and preferably heavier type base so that the contact with the cooker is even. Breeze to use and so clean, tidy and can use with A/C on as it doesn't heat the air around..nor does it smell except for wonderful foody smells.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redbean
Thanks for the link. Did you note the drawbacks especially this bit..."but induction-compatible woks, for example, with rounded bottoms, need an induction cooker that fits the shape of the wok"

I have yet to see an induction cooker in the market that are manufactured to fit the shape of a wok!! Wouldn't that be so cool!

If you do stir fry, you need a wok and a gas cooker! I do stir fry and hate frying using regular cookware with flat bottom.
They sell quite a few wok shaped inductions here in Australia. Would be surprised if you couldn't get them there as well.

Eg: http://www.smegappliances.com.au/Pro...SIHP40WG4.aspx

They also sell special flat bottomed woks that go on regular flat inductions.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
They sell quite a few wok shaped inductions here in Australia. Would be surprised if you couldn't get them there as well.

Eg: http://www.smegappliances.com.au/Pro...SIHP40WG4.aspx

They also sell special flat bottomed woks that go on regular flat inductions.
Most induction units in Malaysia tend to be single units http://www.moresales.com.my/catalog/...hbtmyjvd.shtml
This would by typical type and price.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Most induction units in Malaysia tend to be single units http://www.moresales.com.my/catalog/...hbtmyjvd.shtml
This would by typical type and price.
Oh, ok. These are typical type and price in Australia http://www.miele.com.au/au/domestic/...dels_29329.htm
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, ok. These are typical type and price in Australia http://www.miele.com.au/au/domestic/...dels_29329.htm
Strewth...and they throw in a pilots licence as well. Nah I'll stick with a single one here which leaves then plenty of beer money left over. Anyhow 90% cooking here done in a wok on a single burner.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Strider24
Strewth...and they throw in a pilots licence as well. Nah I'll stick with a single one here which leaves then plenty of beer money left over. Anyhow 90% cooking here done in a wok on a single burner.
When I saw the price I stuck to my old gas cooktop as well
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eating out here is so cheap, its not worth spending big bucks on fancy cookers. My local Char Kway teow bloke still uses charcoal single burner under his huge wok and fans the heck out of it to get the "right" temperature. Fantastic meal though and all for around RM3.00 (just under A$1.00). Same for dry won ton with side soup and dumplings (soi gau--literal translation water dog) and that for the same money.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:30 am

Yah but we are retired... and you know what.... you can't take it with you - the money I mean. Well, not the induction cooker either, heh heh.

Strider, been discussing with a friend and they do those inverted type induction plates down at Queensbay Mall. I've been discussing with same friend about the merits of just buying 2 single induction plates at around RM 400 each. Just a piffle of difference to buying a complete induction stove for around RM 4000

But, then again, the complete stoves do look real nice and so easy to clean lah. I think I quite fancy the stove. I guess we eat in 50 percent of the time so would be well worth it for us. And I like cooking I think I'm going to do it and to hell with the expense.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

OMG!! What are these induction cooktops made of........gold platted with diamond studs??

Quite right, I would stick to my old gas cooktop too for that price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.