Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

The historic vessel Vega

The historic vessel Vega

Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The historic vessel Vega

I could just as easily start this topic in Indonesia or Singapore section but, as I am based in Penang, I shall plonk it in here.

I literally stumbled across this vessel one fine day in early 2014 when I was having a stroll around Straits Quay and thought Wow what a lovely looking vessel. I had my camera with me at the time so took a few shots (one below).

Some days later, I read about it in the newspaper. It's a humanitarian vessel... 120 years old and it follows the monsoon winds from Penang to Singapore to Indonesia to East Timor then around again. Brilliant and simple strategy. They pick up donated supplies (medical equipment, school equipment etc) in Penang and Singapore. These then get delivered to remote islands of East Indonesia and East Timor. On these islands, they pick up some spices (these are the spice islands of course), the world's best coffees, and that all comes back to Penang and Singapore and gets sold to punters here providing more funding for the venture.

They have a website which unfortunately doesn't get updated too often. But you can read a bit here:
Historic Vessel VEGA

Their facebook page gets updated regularly and there are some fabulous pictures on there. Those on facebook can look here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Histo...63?pnref=story

There's a great dolphin video taken from the vessel on the left of the facebook site. This link might work (hopes):
https://www.facebook.com/12506843422...type=2&theater
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-sq07.jpg  
Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The historic vessel Vega

Next time the vessel is docked at Straits Quay, I shall try and remember to update this topic. They are currently delivering over in East Indonesia and Timor. Due back in Penang end of the year I believe.

Got a few more pics below when they were delivering in Medang (that is Medang not Medan. A small remote island in Indonesia). These are not my photos but I have permission to share.
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-medang-1.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-medang-2.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-medang-3.jpg  
Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent stuff.

Just a bit about historic vessels.

I'm sure everyone who has been to Malacca has seen the replica of the Portuguese sailing ship onland alongside the river.

We were in Galicia last September and drove down to Porto on the way stopping off in Vila do Conde. Berthed on the quay there is a vessel that is exactly the same as the one in Malacca but maybe half scale.

I keep wanting to drive down to Portsmouth when we are in the UK to see the Victory and the other vessels there.
They are all a bit like Trigger's broom these days, but I still find them fascinating.

Oh I wanted to say that all these 'desert islands' look great for a getaway holiday if there is a nice hotel there.
But living on one especially the remote ones is not easy if you have children and need to feed them, educate them, and look after them when they are ill.

Last edited by ex reg; Jul 13th 2015 at 8:58 am.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ex reg

Oh I wanted to say that all these 'desert islands' look great for a getaway holiday if there is a nice hotel there.
But living on one especially the remote ones is not easy if you have children and need to feed them, educate them, and look after them when they are ill.
Yes, absolutely. That's why it's great that these guys do such a good job.

The skipper posted some extraordinary photos on Facebook today and I will share 3 below. (Yes, they give permission to share.) There's been some hefty weather coming through East Indonesia way, and they were forced to find shelter for a few days, and anchored off a remote little volcanic island called Satonda. As the skipper said, There has to be some advantages to doing what they do.
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-vega-off-remote-island.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-off-remote-island-2.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-vega-off-remote-island-3.jpg  
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:31 am

They're on their way back. Currently en-route, after deliveries, to Jakarta. I understand that they will be berthing at Straits Quay around about December 18th for something like 10 days. Picking up supplies here, and maybe selling some coffees and spices no doubt. I'll keep you posted.

As always, the skipper posts some interesting pics en-route when he can get an internet connection. This pic looks fascinating. A local boat near Pulau Medang (Indonesia presumably).
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-hippy-boat.jpg  
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is a beautiful boat. The skipper clearly takes pride in his vessel.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
As always, the skipper posts some interesting pics en-route when he can get an internet connection. This pic looks fascinating. A local boat near Pulau Medang (Indonesia presumably).
I'm trying to figure the flag...looks more like a stripy Malaysian than Singapore or Indonesian flags which are simple red/white. Definitely not Philippines.

If he is Malaysian I hope he has a licence to operate in Indonesia...they have a new habit here blowing up un-permitted vessels...
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:05 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I'm trying to figure the flag...looks more like a stripy Malaysian than Singapore or Indonesian flags which are simple red/white. :
Hi Davita, my bet is on the Indonesian Flag - Red Stripe at the top, White Stripe at the bottom.

I think either the colour has run, or it's the camera angle and a random fold in the flag giving it a pinkish hue.

I re-name this ship Lucy....

(in the sky with diamonds)

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Nov 18th 2015 at 10:10 am.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

@ post #8

You're probably right as he doesn't seem to want to be unnoticed in foreign waters.
Wouldn't want our maritime minister Susi do this to such a beauty....

Indonesia sinks 34 foreign boats to curb illegal fishing - Channel NewsAsia
Old Nov 26th 2015, 7:56 am

As we speak (write), they are trundling along the high seas from Jakarta to Singapore. Then, after that, it's Penang I think.

Presumably the skipper has picked up an internet connection somewhere as he's posted some fab pics again of, this time, Kumba Island. He says it's between Banda and Jakarta and the island erupts approximately every 15 minutes. That's handy.

A few pics below. Permission granted to spread around. If you want to see any more pics, just follow that link to their Facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails The historic vessel Vega-kumba-1.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-kumba-2.jpg   The historic vessel Vega-kumba-3.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:39 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Great photos, can't find it on Google Maps though
Old Nov 27th 2015, 6:41 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Great photos, can't find it on Google Maps though
I'm pretty sure 'Pulau Komba' is the same place. It's pretty remote -about 50km north of Pulau Lembata. You can find Pulau Komba on Google Maps!

JC3
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:21 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
I'm pretty sure 'Pulau Komba' is the same place. It's pretty remote -about 50km north of Pulau Lembata. You can find Pulau Komba on Google Maps!

JC3
Yes, that's it. I was looking nearer Jakarta.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I think the confusion arised because he departed Jakarta to Singapore 2 days ago.... but posted a picture of Kumba where they must have been many days/weeks ago as it is near Flores...south-east of Bali.
He probably only managed to get the internet in Jakarta.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:27 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by Davita
I think the confusion arised because he departed Jakarta to Singapore 2 days ago.... but posted a picture of Kumba where they must have been many days/weeks ago as it is near Flores...south-east of Bali.
He probably only managed to get the internet in Jakarta.
I'm sure you are right, oh wise one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.