Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Help/advice with visa process/application please!

Help/advice with visa process/application please!

Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

JKLMAL14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help/advice with visa process/application please!

Hello all,

This forum has been really helpful since we found out that we will be moving to Malaysia in August and I'm hoping somebody can please help us again today!

My employer is a British company in Malaysia and they are organising my work visa and dependant visas for my husband and child. A few months ago I sent off the requested docs which included copies of passports, degree certificates, birth certificates, marriage certificate etc and blue background passport photos. The photos were particularly difficult to get done with only one branch in a 30 mile radius being able to do them!

Today I have found out that the Malaysian embassy have insisted that our marriage certificate and birth certificate for children are certified by Malaysian high commission in London. There has been no answer this morning on their telephone number and I was just wondering if anybody else had to do this and how you went about it?
Secondly it seems our photos may not be the exact shade of blue required! Did anybody else have these done and if so where? Is there a facility online that you can use to adapt normal white background photos?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/advice with visa process/application please!

Sorry, no advice for doing this o/s. Can you do it here? We did. Easy to get 'proper' blue photos. Marriage certs and birth certs certified at embassies here in KL rather than vice versa. We had a one month return ticket which allowed us into the country, work visa application as soon as we arrived and then company just changed return leg of flight for 12 months time.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I think because it is a new set up over there and a lot of staff going over at once they want it sorted beforehand. Good to know it's easy to do that stuff over there though for future reference.

Thanks again
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JKLMAL14
Hello all,

Secondly it seems our photos may not be the exact shade of blue required! Did anybody else have these done and if so where? Is there a facility online that you can use to adapt normal white background photos?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give!
The background used to be blue. I believe the law changed last year and it must now be a plain white or off-white background - at least it is for Malaysian Passport Applications. This actually annoyed me, because I bought studio lights and a blue background around July last year because blue was used for passports and driving licences, and I had hoped to set up a studio in order to portrait photography, but also for passport/driving licence/visa applications. The law changed not that long after I bought the background! Definitely worth checking the requirements - it may be that visa applications can still use blue. If blue is still allowed, it is a light blue.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mine was light blue but apparently not the right shade. I did ask a while back about the background changes but was told it's still blue for visas. I have been sent two sample photos and have spent the day trying to find the same coloured card or bed sheets with no joy so far. Thanks for the reply!
Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

TinTin46 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,
I've just joined this forum but have been following it for a few months now, since my husband has been offered a job in Malaysia. Thank you for all the useful info.
Still waiting for my husband's working visa here in the UK. The school has asked for our marriage certificate and children's birth certificates to apply for dependant passes and yes, they have to be legalised by the high consulate of Malaysia in the UK. The website says:
‘’LEGALISATION OF DOCUMENTS

Documents issued by the local authorities in the United Kingdom such as General Registrar office of UK (no impediment to marriage letter, marriage and birth certificate etc), or any British Public Officials are to be authenticated/legalised by:-

The Legalisation Office
Foreign Commonwealth Office
(Please log on to the Foreign Commonwealth Office website at www.fco.gov.uk for further information)

The duly endorsed documents must be legalised by the Consular Official at the High Commission of Malaysia, London before its usage in Malaysia.

Fees: £5.00 (cash or postal order) per document’’

So we sent the certificates to the Legalisation Office. You can pay online, £30 per doc, then send them by mail, their website tells you how to do it. We are waiting for them to be returned to us next week. I’ve done this before and they add a piece of paper on the back of the doc to confirm it’s the original.
As soon as we get them back we can send them to the High Consulate of Malaysia in London to be certified, £5 each document by postal order. It’s good that we don’t need to go to London. We can do everything by mail. It sounds complicated but it isn’t, it just takes a long time…....
We are not 100% sure that this is the correct way to do it, we’ll have to wait for the response from Malaysia once we send them all the docs.

They also needed our photos on blue background, but if you go to a professional photographer he would probably know what shade to use.

I hope this helps you.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much TinTin46! When you get your docs back from High Commission in Malaysia can you let us know on here how long it took all together from legalisation?

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello TinTin and welcome to the forum That's a very useful first post.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

TinTin46 is on a distinguished road

Hi JKLMAL, we've got the documents today. 15 days in total but we did have 2 bank holidays in between. Also, we've used tracked next day delivery.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! That is really useful info! Hope everything goes smoothly for you!