Good morning from cold Scotland

Good morning from cold Scotland

Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:08 am
Just Joined

caipi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good morning from cold Scotland

Hi community,

Just a small presentation of our plans.
We are just back from our 3 week holiday in Malaysia. We stayed 5 nights in KL/Traders Hotel (very good) and flew to KK /Borneo were we stayed at the Meridien (was a bit smelly and rooms need an upgrade and refresh) and than back again to KL, this time we stayed at Shangri-la (wowww).
If you have a young child and still need a push chair, it is quite difficult to cross the road as the traffic lights work a bit as they want and it seems they are never green for pedestrians.
As well, all those motor bikes on the zebra crossing!!!
Well, this is one of those things we will have to get used to.
We are planning to move next year to Malaysia and want to stay in or around KL.
have already visited a few international schools. Most of them have a waiting list.
Also, we have seen a few apartments. There are 1000s of flats available and prices from RM3000 up to RM25000
We would like to stay somewhere in KLCC but would have to get up early as most private schools are in or around Mont Kiara.
Most probably, we will apply for MM2H.
For a start, you need to have a nice sum saved to be qualified.
As we are under 50, first to prove that you have around £100,000 in your bank account.
Than, once approved, transfer around£60,000 to Malaysia which you can't touch for a year. As well to prove a monthly income of around£2,000

our money is invested in commercial and residential property, so, it is invested and not sitting in an account.
Prove of income can be given as we have rental income.
If approved,
transfer £60,000 to Malaysia
Pay 3 months lease upfront (1 month lease and 2x deposit)
Pay school fees for international school.
If not possible to find a fully furnished flat/have to buy furniture.
Definitely not a cheap option but we decided to make the move as we love the country and most important, it's possible to get a good education for our child.

I have read a lot about MM2H and even seen, that one used car can be imported free of taxes.
Compared what a decent car costs in Malaysia, it is well worth it, to bring a nice used one with you.
has anyone experience of importing a used car?

Thanks and keep in touch.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good morning from cold Scotland

We bought a MM2H tax free car, so cannot help you there.

Mmmm if you are saying that you ONLY have funds invested in houses and rental income, you may have a problem there. I have a couple of friends here in Penang in that situation (and earn far in excess of the required monthly sum) and they got turned down on MM2H. They like to see cash in the bank.

On the car question, this has been discussed on my2home. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
We bought a MM2H tax free car, so cannot help you there.

Mmmm if you are saying that you ONLY have funds invested in houses and rental income, you may have a problem there. I have a couple of friends here in Penang in that situation (and earn far in excess of the required monthly sum) and they got turned down on MM2H. They like to see cash in the bank.

On the car question, this has been discussed on my2home. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
thanks bakedbean, you seem very helpful and active on this board.
That's the problem. We have money invested and not sitting in our account, generating negative income, as the inflation is much higher than interest paid.
Thanks God, rental income is good and hopefully tenants continue to pay their bill.
We would like to bring our car with us as if we would like to pay the same car used in Malaysia, it would 200% more.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caipi
Hi community,

Just a small presentation of our plans.
We are just back from our 3 week holiday in Malaysia. We stayed 5 nights in KL/Traders Hotel (very good) and flew to KK /Borneo were we stayed at the Meridien (was a bit smelly and rooms need an upgrade and refresh) and than back again to KL, this time we stayed at Shangri-la (wowww).
If you have a young child and still need a push chair, it is quite difficult to cross the road as the traffic lights work a bit as they want and it seems they are never green for pedestrians.
As well, all those motor bikes on the zebra crossing!!!
Well, this is one of those things we will have to get used to.
We are planning to move next year to Malaysia and want to stay in or around KL.
have already visited a few international schools. Most of them have a waiting list.
Also, we have seen a few apartments. There are 1000s of flats available and prices from RM3000 up to RM25000
We would like to stay somewhere in KLCC but would have to get up early as most private schools are in or around Mont Kiara.
Most probably, we will apply for MM2H.
For a start, you need to have a nice sum saved to be qualified.
As we are under 50, first to prove that you have around £100,000 in your bank account.
Than, once approved, transfer around£60,000 to Malaysia which you can't touch for a year. As well to prove a monthly income of around£2,000

our money is invested in commercial and residential property, so, it is invested and not sitting in an account.
Prove of income can be given as we have rental income.
If approved,
transfer £60,000 to Malaysia
Pay 3 months lease upfront (1 month lease and 2x deposit)
Pay school fees for international school.
If not possible to find a fully furnished flat/have to buy furniture.
Definitely not a cheap option but we decided to make the move as we love the country and most important, it's possible to get a good education for our child.

I have read a lot about MM2H and even seen, that one used car can be imported free of taxes.
Compared what a decent car costs in Malaysia, it is well worth it, to bring a nice used one with you.
has anyone experience of importing a used car?

Thanks and keep in touch.
Sound like an ideal plan. Summer weather all year round what more can you ask for. Living standard is cheap as chip. You dont have to cook any more.

Last edited by Harlow Lad; Feb 14th 2012 at 8:11 am.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Hi, me again.

I also forgot about one important thing.
We are planning a second child. How would this influence the MM2H application.
Let's say, my wife is pregnant and baby not yet born but already living in Malaysia??
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about 2nd child. I'm a retiree

There's a thread on my2home here about importing a car under the MM2H visa. Just saw that the site is going down for maintenance later (Malaysian time) so if link doesn't work, try tomorrow.

You can also find a lot of info on the official government site. Link here to importing a car http://www.mm2h.gov.my/incentive2.php though I imagine you have already looked at the official website??
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
No idea about 2nd child. I'm a retiree

There's a thread on my2home here about importing a car under the MM2H visa. Just saw that the site is going down for maintenance later (Malaysian time) so if link doesn't work, try tomorrow.

You can also find a lot of info on the official government site. Link here to importing a car http://www.mm2h.gov.my/incentive2.php though I imagine you have already looked at the official website??

Thanks bakedbean.
Yes, I have had a look but wanted some info from people who brought their car with them. Is it to much of a hassle. Money wise, I should be worth it.
Or buy for the same price a Protonnew