Ferry to Langkawi

Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Jackie333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ferry to Langkawi

Hi,

Does anyone know how many ferries go to Langkawi from Penang daily ?
Is it better to book in advance or on the day ?
We will only be going for one day on April 5th from Penang and must be back at Penang airport April 6th at 3pm.

Thanks
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Ferry to Langkawi

IIRC, two, 8:15 and 8:30, go figure Second one is direct, first goes via Pulau Player. Approx RM 115 return. Two return times, 2:30pm (via PP) and 5:30pm (direct), unless the timetables have changed. The direct route is a two hour crossing. Given your time constraint on the airport you will need to come back on the 5th. You can get the tickets from Fast Very Ventures near the terminal near the traffic island (across road from memorial). You can buy from other agents too but they then seem to go to FFV to get your ticket.

Mostly no need to book unless public holidays etc. but good idea to get your ticket the day before if you can or, arrive well in advance of the departure to ensure you get it. Say 7:30 or 7:45.

If the sea is choppy the crossing can be a little unpleasant, as a former 'yacthy' I'm relatively immune to sea-sickness but if you do suffer, the weather, combined with the somewhat cramped conditions of the ferries (you sit almost at water level and inside), seem to trigger it easily for quite a few.

Last edited by Atilla; Mar 30th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 1:27 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked on my skyscanner app and the AirAsia fares in April are only just over RM 100 return Penang to Langkawi for some dates. Not sure if that is all inclusive price, but might be worth checking out. More pleasant and quicker flying.

I've not done the ferry but some friends did it and they said folks were honking up before the ship left Georgetown so be warned.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Yup, flying for me the best option EVERY time, I would never take the ferry again unless travelling alone, and even then, only at a push. The dank air and smell of diesel alone is enough to induce a bout of SS for many and, if that's not enough, rest assured, the sound / smell of the other passengers getting their see-legs (or not) will be a real turn off. It's a bit like yapping dogs, one starts, they all start. Vomityville Horror Part III.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Jackie333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help guys.

I think Langkawi will have to wait this time and we will spend the time discovering Penang.

Lets hope the weather is good on Wednesday
Old May 6th 2013, 2:21 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Heard a rumour that there will be a proper car ferry starting up from Perlis to Langkawi. Anyone heard anything ?