British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Engineering Jobs in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/engineering-jobs-malaysia-407899/)

Zinc09 Nov 13th 2006 7:06 pm

Engineering Jobs in Malaysia

Hi,

I'm a project manager for an automotive engineering company in the UK. My partner is Malaysian and we're keen to move to KL so she can be with her family but I'm finding it difficult to find a suitable job (automotive or manufacturing engineering) and not sure where to start, especially as many of the engineering jobs that Google bring up are Oil & Gas related. I've also tried local recruitment agencies but a lot of them require me to already posses a work permit before applying.

I think it's only wise to secure a job offer in KL first before moving there - can anyone advise?

Many thanks
Dan

ex reg Nov 14th 2006 12:14 am

Re: Engineering Jobs in Malaysia

Originally Posted by Zinc09
Hi,

I'm a project manager for an automotive engineering company in the UK. My partner is Malaysian and we're keen to move to KL so she can be with her family but I'm finding it difficult to find a suitable job (automotive or manufacturing engineering) and not sure where to start, especially as many of the engineering jobs that Google bring up are Oil & Gas related. I've also tried local recruitment agencies but a lot of them require me to already posses a work permit before applying.

I think it's only wise to secure a job offer in KL first before moving there - can anyone advise?

Many thanks
Dan

Bit chicken egg that.

You might want to try a visit to KL and then see what the visa people there say to you personally rather than ask in the UK.
Being as you are married to a Malaysian you might find getting a visa quite straight forward and once you have submitted your application you can return to UK until your application is approved.

When in KL checking your visa you can also check job direct with employers or the agencies.

Always better than by email.

Have you tried www.railpersonnel.com (hope that url is OK with this site's admin.)

rizwan_fareed Nov 14th 2006 6:15 am

Are you worried by the low pay or is this pay OK in your field of work?

Zinc09 Nov 14th 2006 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
Are you worried by the low pay or is this pay OK in your field of work?

No, not worried about the pay, as long as its sufficient to live on in KL. I've been to KL many times and know the cost of living isn't as high as in the UK.

As for Visa, it's not as easy as that - not married yet! :) Which is why I wanted to get an expat job in KL with a guaranteed work permit before I move there, and thought this can be easily achieved from the UK.

Be interested to hear how some of you got expat jobs in KL? How did you go about it?