Elephants

Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Elephants

Had a friend tell me about the Elephant sanctuary near Kampung Bolok taking the Langchang exit off the KL Kuantan road. Avoid "Deerland" close by as a total waste of money and effort, but the sanctuary run by the Government is free (but accept donations) and very well done. No point to show up before 1pm, but then be prepared to stay a few hours.

There are about 24 elephants there now and a great number are young, orphaned or hurt and the older ones have stories as well. To look after, save and yet put on a display to capture tourists attention is not an easy task, but they do it very well.

There is another sanctuary along an unofficial highway (T156) around the north shore of Lake Kenyir, but it looks much smaller, although I didn't have time to stop and properly check it out. Certainly by the constant dropping dodging there are a lot of elephants in the area.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:51 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elephants

whenver I see an elephant got to the toilet I always find it incredible that so much comes out. They are big animals though.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I managed to not hit one of those rather large mounds on the road. Me thinks it could be a messy joke cleaning the car afterwards.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yukk, I was about to eat my breakfast

Strider, are the elephants kept well there? Or just a tourist trap?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Deerland is a tourist trap, but the elephant sanctuary is very well run. covers a large jungle area and while they do a very good tourist job, they are dedicated people looking after elephants that would probably not survive in the wild. Those that could survive are released into the wild I'm told.

The guy in the attached photo looks tickled by his daily bath
Attached Thumbnails Elephants-cimg1405.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info...we keep planning a trip out to the elephants, but somehow we have not yet got there!