Education in Malaysia

Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

layla82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education in Malaysia

Good evening,
I am looking for some information on schools in Malaysia.
Is the education of a good standard?
Would it sufficiently prepare my children for university in the UK, if they wished to return to the UK?
Which cities have the best school?
Any schools you would recommend?
What is university education like?
What is life like for children in Malaysia?
Sorry for all the questions, we are considering applying for jobs in Malaysia but I want to make sure we can offer our children a good life and education. We will plan our job applications around the children's schooling.

Thank you
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education in Malaysia

Is the education of a good standard? - yes.
Would it sufficiently prepare my children for university in the UK, if they wished to return to the UK? - yes.
Which cities have the best school? - Strange question. You would never ask this in the UK, but probably the big cities have "better" schools than small villages.
What is university education like? - Samesame compared to the other countries from the "developed" world.
What is life like for children in Malaysia? - Great.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:39 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by layla82
...I am looking for some information on schools in Malaysia.
...What is university education like?

Hi layla82,

Welcome to the Malaysia Forum

You might find the following useful:
The Guide to International Education in Malaysia - Expat Go

With regards to universities the most credible universities are listed here:

World University Rankings - Times Higher Education

http://www.timeshighereducation.com/...rsity-rankings

Sadly Malaysia is not yet making the grade. None in the top 400.

Perhaps this is why many Malaysians choose to educate their children abroad. In 2013, for example, there were 14,500 Malaysians studying in the tertiary level in the UK, making Malaysians one of the largest overseas student groups in the UK, and making the UK the country with the second highest number of Malaysian students.

That said, in response to a similar comments I made in 2014, RSBA helpfully replied (July/August 2014)

... do bear in mind that there are now Malaysian campuses for a number of world class and ranked international universities. For example, Monash and Newcastle University, Southampton is already here and Reading is coming soon amongst others. These universities offer exactly the same degree as in the home country.

JC3
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:12 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

It may be worth having a read of this, layla82:-

As Singapore tops world, Malaysia ranks low on latest OECD maths and science scores | Malaysia | Malay Mail Online

I don't think I would educate my kids in Malaysia but it's very much a personal view.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
It may be worth having a read of this, layla82:-

As Singapore tops world, Malaysia ranks low on latest OECD maths and science scores | Malaysia | Malay Mail Online

I don't think I would educate my kids in Malaysia but it's very much a personal view.
Well, Singapore (and Mainland China) maybe are the two worst options in the world for me.

It is maybe worth having a read of this
Singapore schools: 'The best education system in the world' putting significant stress on young children - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But as you say, this is a personal thing, so recommendations are not too useful. I prefer a friendly athmosphere for my kids with no pressure. So a more "relaxed" country like Malaysia , is a very good option.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:30 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by layla82
Good evening,
I am looking for some information on schools in Malaysia.
Is the education of a good standard?
Would it sufficiently prepare my children for university in the UK, if they wished to return to the UK?
Which cities have the best school?
Any schools you would recommend?
What is university education like?
What is life like for children in Malaysia?
Sorry for all the questions, we are considering applying for jobs in Malaysia but I want to make sure we can offer our children a good life and education. We will plan our job applications around the children's schooling.

Thank you

When you get enough posts, send me a PM. The answers to your questions are very much state dependent. My answers would differ to eCdD, for example and I suspect that is location dependent. I'll respond in a PM when you are ready.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 11:32 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
When you get enough posts, send me a PM.
layla82, you need to have made 3 posts or more to be able to use the PM (Private Message) system.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
The answers to your questions are very much state dependent. My answers would differ to eCdD, for example and I suspect that is location dependent. I'll respond in a PM when you are ready.
You think there is a difference between the schools for example in KL, JB, Ipoh and Georgetown? I am surprised to hear. Of cause there is a difference between big cities and the countryside.

Maybe it is lifestyle dependent, my friends are mainly local and some mainland chinese that mostly came here because the sschool education for the kids.