Driving in Malaysia

Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:39 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Malaysia

Bring your proof of no claims if you have it. We were able to reduce the premiums on both our cars by 50% by using this. Went with MSIG.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lamlha
no not really, blind side them with aggression but risk being done for something a bit bigger, or luck it out with a 100 ringgit tip, its not so regular anymore
I definitely would not recommend anyone try to blindside the police with aggression, not just in Malaysia but anywhere for that matter!

A smile & polite slow conversation is a more measured approach in these circumstances, show them respect & you are far more likely to get a positive outcome.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:49 am
Just Joined

lamlha is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, sorry, there is that, i was going to add, if ur going to go crazy on the police, best to do it as a last resort measure, usually its better to be diplomatic, just on the rare occasion it works, its best avoided (being crazy, that is)

Best wishes
Lamlha
Old Oct 13th 2012, 9:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat
I definitely would not recommend anyone try to blindside the police with aggression, not just in Malaysia but anywhere for that matter!
I would second that. I think you would have to be utterly mad. Some very odd postings on here lately.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:10 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
Bring your proof of no claims if you have it. We were able to reduce the premiums on both our cars by 50% by using this. Went with MSIG.
Reading through again I noticed that the OP mentioned they do not have no claims so apologies for my unhelpful post above
Old Dec 14th 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Arriving in Malaysia next week for good,just how long can you drive on a uk licence please.and how do you change to one accepted over there.hope there's no test involved..been 30 years since passing it in england
Old Dec 14th 2012, 12:27 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I can't renember what the official line is but I know that some folks don't bother to change.

You're on MM2H? There's a link on the MM2H Gov website with procedures for each country's driving licence and what you have to do at JPJ. Have to say though that JPJ don't actually know the correct procedures sometimes. It's a bit of a pig's ear. There's been huge discussions on this on the my2home site about How to and How not to. I'll try and find some links tomorrow to the Gov site and my2home site, so bear with me.

There's no tests or anything needed so don't worry
Old Dec 14th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

Thanks BB
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:46 am

I've found the bit on the government site under MM2H. It's here under Car Purchase/Import.

Scroll down the page to near the bottom marked Documents. There are pdf downloads. No 4 is marked Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence to Malaysian Licence. Print that off and follow the instructions. UK is under Appendix B.

For your info, I converted from a Thai licence (Appendix A). I went to JPJ in Butterworth on the mainland. Having filled in all the forms, the Officer had to be gently persuaded that this was correct. I waved around the print-off from the MM2H gov site (nicely of course) and he eventually did the necessary. So be prepared for that.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

very useful BB..indebted to you,ta.

So its RM30 a year then, no problem.wonder how many dont bother to convert.not worth the risk of being caught I'd say.

my Malaysian wife told me how she got her full licence back in the late 80's... she simply put RM50 note inside her licence and handed to examiner !!!

Really hope they have tightened things up since then.could be all sorts of nutters on the roads .
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:03 am

I can confirm that there are plenty of nutters on the road here
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by movin2malaysia
Thanks for all the info.
Another question is how much is the insurance approx. We will have 2 cars. We dont have any no-claims unfortunately and will probably look to buy a Myvi (?) so nothing expensive.
Insurance can be horrendous, however a payout seems to always be based on the current market value of the vehicle. So each year I check the current value and get comprehensive for that. My old bomb 2nd car I ensure I have 3rd part personal and property cover.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:00 am
ajw

I can also confirm that they have NOT tightened things up in that regard. When doing hid driving test my local friend was asked whether he wanted to do things 'the hard way or the easy way'..