Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Does anyone commute over the Tuas crossing?

Does anyone commute over the Tuas crossing?

Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone commute over the Tuas crossing?

Anyone here actually live in Malaysia and commute (probably daily) to Singapore over that Western bridge (Tuas)? Any rumours about a ferry crossing opening soon? How long does it take you, each way?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant futureCpt_Jack has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does anyone commute over the Tuas crossing?

It's pretty 'fast' by Malaysian standards (i.e. you may still crawl along during rush hour) and it will get packed during holidays but overall pretty fair driving. Getting across is fast enough but your problem is it is quite far out compared to the causeway so not as many use it I think (its also slightly more expensive, you know what Malaysians are like!). You can check the traffic cams using this which might give you an idea of how busy it gets weekly; http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...ras0/tuas.html

Never used it as a daily commute so sorry I can't directly answer the question. Really you have to work it based on where you live; any time gained on a quick crossing may be lost having to drive further to get there.

I hear the occasional horror story of zealous entry point officers too nabbing you over the 'fuel check'/lost coupon/forgot second ID but I think its rare. Oh and it does cost you RM7.50 each way!

Ferry? No idea, I think the idea has been floating (pun intended) around for ages but can't see it happening.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few board members living in Nusa and working in Singapore.
They'll be on shortly to give more detailed timings but iirc East Ledang to CBD is about 50 minutes even at rush hour although that always seems tight to me.

Haven't heard about a ferry and think it's unlikely; doesn't it usually go ferry > bridge rather than the other way around.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for the replies.... really appreciated.

I'm possibly going over in the summer... school will be in Malaysia for the kids (fingers crossed) and I will be working downtown S'pore. I think I should take the "commute" strain, not the kids!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Geedee, as ex-Reg said, there are a number of folks living in Nusajaya doing the commute. If they don't respond to this thread, just do a search on both the Malaysia forum and Singapore forum for "Nusajaya". The search box is up on top right hand side. All the existing threads should come up.... there's quite a few.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks BB.... I'll do that search!

Found a great thread here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738029

Last edited by geedee; Feb 18th 2013 at 12:51 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi geedee

My hubby does the commute every day. At the moment we're in Leisure Farm (but moving to East Ledang soon hopefully). It takes him around 1hr 30 mins to go from here to Changi Business Park.

In the morning the Tuas crossing is generally pretty quiet - but the traffic gets bad between Jurong, Clementi and along to Portsdown Road. After that it's usually pretty free flowing. (It's the same no matter what time you cross - even if I go over after dropping the kids at Marlborough it can be busy at these areas even though it's effectively after the rush hour).

It can be much busier in the evenings though but not always. He usually leaves the office at 6pm and is home by 7.30pm/8pm at the latest.

The ferry terminal is in place at Puteri Harbour but as nothing happens fast here I won't hold my breath for it being up and running any time soon (old cynic that I am!)
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Bocat. We've applied to Marlborough and are waiting to hear if we've got places. That's why we're thinking of living there... if we do end up in S'pore though, they say they run a school bus to the island.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi geedee

They do indeed. I'm not sure how old your kids are but I do feel sorry for the kids going back and forth on the buses to/from Singapore every day.

Marlborough has a long school day - 8.30am - 4.25pm each day. To add a 1-1.5 hour bus journey (realistic timing!) each day onto that I think is hard going for wee people. That said - most of the kids on the bus look ok when they arrive. I struggle to get my two out of the door on time and we only live 25 minutes away!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bocat
To add a 1-1.5 hour bus journey (realistic timing!) each day onto that I think is hard going for wee people.
That should have said "each way" not "each day".
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again Bocat.... just answered your helpful reply on the "Singapore" thread too!!

That is a long day for the kids, especially with up to 3 hours travel.... better I take the "commuting hit". Hope my boss understands the concept of "flex-time"!!

Last edited by geedee; Feb 20th 2013 at 1:15 am.