Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Canada to UK to Malaysia?

Canada to UK to Malaysia?

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 1:10 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Canada to UK to Malaysia?

Hi all,

I'm new to the Malaysia part of this forum (been in Canadian and Back to Uk parts) and here to ask some advice.

HERE'S THE BACKGROUND - My family have been in Canada for 7 years (hubby Canadian, kids born in Canada) and I'm British. It was a struggle to find work as a teacher in Canada so for a number of reasons (missing friends and family particularly) we came back. It's wonderful to be back and reconnecting with old friends and family and work has been fantastic for both of us however an opportunity may have arisen to come to Johor and teach at an international school there. I wonder if my poor, resistant globe trotting Canadian hubby would find work as a programmer easily and how working life in IT is there.

If anyone can shed any light on living and working in Johor I would appreciate it. We would be living on a campus so no costs or need to find housing and our children would go to my school. Just hubby who I worry about.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to UK to Malaysia?

Hi lilybilly101

There's a lot of growth in Johor at the moment with lots of new companies popping up.

He might want to try some of the new Universities at Educity at Nusajaya.

Or alternatively - look for a job in Singapore (much more choice there and it's a relatively easy commute - my hubby does it).
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:41 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lilybilly01

Welcome to to Malaysia forums. My husband is also in IT but we are based in KL. he has found software development practices here to be a bit behind other places he has worked (Aus and UK) eg. Use of agile methodology not common and in its infancy. Also, MS .net is king here. My husband prefers open souce and transitioned his teams to this a few years ago. Overall, people are less forthcoming and tend to show less initiative so it can be challenging (I'm sorry if this offends anyone but it has been our experience). However, things are improving with time!! Have a look at the Malaysia MSC scheme in relation to IT in the region and have a look specifically at any businesses which have set up at MSC Cyberport in the Iskander region. As Bocat said, the alternative is to work in Singapore and commute. He'll be on more money there and will probably have more jobs to choose from.

Ajw
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:34 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks so much both of you. I'll pass on the info to him and see what he thinks. It's going to be a trickier transition for him as the kids and I will be on campus and I will be teaching a British curriculum in a British school. Not a huge challenge for me personally and I worry how he'll cope.

Having never been to the region, is Iskandar and around there modern and easy to adjust to? It's a huge leap into the unknown so I have lots of concerns and worries.

We're in quite a pickle at the moment as he can't settle in the north of the UK (prefers south, especially London) but I love being home, back in my village. It's so friendly and familiar..... anyway, maybe Malaysia would work out.....maybe a move south.....who knows eh? Eventually he wants to head back to Canada. Yikes.

Life can certainly be trying at times and very complicated. Always marry the boy next door. MUCH easier!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:38 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi lilybilly101

There's a lot of growth in Johor at the moment with lots of new companies popping up.

He might want to try some of the new Universities at Educity at Nusajaya.

Or alternatively - look for a job in Singapore (much more choice there and it's a relatively easy commute - my hubby does it).
I think he'd probably like a university environment. He has his Microsoft exams (I think all of them). Would it be wise for him to wait until he gets there or try for a job from here.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Having read what you say above about your family circumstances and how your husband settles in a place I think this will be a massive move for you, one that I'd only give a 50/50 chance of succeeding.
A visit to JB before any signatures are made I think will really help you make the correct decision.
Rather than fly to Singapore and then do the easy travel across the Causeway to JB I think you'd be better served by flying to KL and then either an internal flight or train or coach to JB. This may help the so called 'culture shock'.
As Bocat says your husband has the possibility of IT work in Singapore although it's very competitive there.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

As mentioned in another post, MDeC is a good route to get a working visa for expats in the IT line:
http://www.expats.com.my/expats2009/expatcenter.html

Expats can also apply for the Talent Pass:
http://www.talentcorp.com.my/expatri...esidence-pass/

Not sure if this is applicable, but for Malaysians working overseas and coming back, there are attractive incentive programs which should be considered BEFORE coming back:
http://www.talentcorp.com.my/malaysi...ert-programme/

Thomas
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:13 pm
Lost in Space

Great, thank you for these. We will look at companies around Singapore and Johor as my friend/colleague says the school is 12 minutes from the border.

We are very much at the inquiring stage so this move may not happen at all. My hubby has been amazing at adapting to British life and has found an excellent job in a short space of time. I guess we may all be 'move' weary and wonder if it is bad timing right now. I was thinking we would only move for 5 years or so and try and save a very significant amount of money. Easy to do when you don't pay for accommodation or bills.

We'll see. Thanks for tips all.