Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Can I use a UK tv in Malaysia?

Can I use a UK tv in Malaysia?

Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice
Default Can I use a UK tv in Malaysia?

Hi all,

I am just sorting which items are being air freighted to Penang and what is going in storage.

We have read in the Crown literature that Malaysia tv's are PAL which is the same as in the UK. I am presuming this means my Samsung LCD tv which I bought in the UK will work in Malaysia along with my dvd players (which are multi-region)?

Please can anyone confirm this.

Thanks
Sarah
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use a UK tv in Malaysia?

Why are you airfreighting unless your company pays.
We just used Crown to sea freight some stuff back out here from UK took 6 weeks.
Crown UK HO were a bit slow and needed prompting.
The Crown UK packers did a great job, estupendo.
The local delivery which was sub let by Crown were atrocious and tried it on to take more money from us which I quickly stamped on.
But they still wouldn't unpack this end, Singapore, and wouldn't wait to take the packing material away or for me to check on possible damage.
Just to add the actual guys doing the delivery in Sing were very helpful it was their HO again who were crap.

We'd probably use Crown again because this sort of thing is much of a muchness.
The company we used to send stuff back to the UK 10 years or so ago were very good but when we asked for a quote this time they initially quoted airfreight then when asked to quote for sea fright gave us the same price as they did for air which was twice the average sea from all other quotes.

Can't help with the tele except to say LCD and plasma are cheap enough out here so why not buy locally.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

Yes, my husband's work are paying so it means we won't have to wait for any of our things to arrive as it will be there before us which is great.

Thanks for the advice. We also have Pickfords coming on Tuesday to quote as although work are paying we still want to get a second quote.

I suspect Pickfords use contractors that end too so would have the same problem but will bare that in mind - thanks!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say that there was a Pickfords removal truck outside our condo the other day (in Penang), so Pickfords do operate here. Mr bakedbean actually remarked that it was the smartest looking removal truck he's seen in Penang There are some pretty grim ones about.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

We used Allied Pickfords (is that the same as Pickfords?)
Had things shipped two times from HK; 1st time HK-Port Klang and by land to Pg.
2nd time HK-Pg Port (customs in Pg are horrible, opened up boxes and didn't close them properly, dug up contents and made a mess)'

Both times the A.Pickfords guys is HK were very efficient and professional. A good size team of about 6-7 workers, a supervisor who's very hands on, a driver and I could see they were well trained in packing and moving stuffs from fragile to dead weight. Very good logistic and team work.
BUT, the 'nano team' here on the arrival end for the 2 times were a contrast hehe. Only 2 workers, a driver and a supervisor. The workers were exhausted moving the same amount of stuffs. Though they were working so hard, but it appeared they lack the same training as the guys in HK.

Third time we asked A.P. in Toronto but they coudln't coordinate the move for us! So Mr C called A.Pickfords in KL and they had no problem coordinating the packing and moving of stuffs in Toronto across Canada to Vancouver where they packed and combined all and shipped them directly to Port Klang (we requested that they go through Port Klang as we didn't want the same experience we had in Port Pg!)
The container arrived in Port Klang and by AP truck overland to Pg - all nice and neat - no mess.

There were some damages and AP noted and reimbursed us very fast as they have their own insurance guys. From HK was the 2 legs of the piano and the one from Canada was the missing panel and a door of the gas bbq.

Sorry can't help you with the TV fron UK. But the ones in Canada can't be used here, the HK one is OK.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I should think the TV would be fine. Same system and same voltage. Bought a new Toshiba 32 inch LCD at Tesco the other day for RM899.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think we are going to use Pickfords as seemed much more professional and knowledgeable than Crown plus your comments have swayed us.

We'll definitely bring the TV and DVD now too.

Moving out of our house next week once Pickfords have collected our stuff, staying with family for a week or so then will be in Penang for 1 March! We are both very excited now!

Sarah.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbine
We used Allied Pickfords (is that the same as Pickfords?)
Yes it is.

Sarah - all the best with the move. Penang is a great place - at least I think so - enjoy!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much!! Pickfords are coming to collect our items on Thursday so not long to wait now!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:40 am
Banned

stranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nice

Wish you all the best, and enjoying your stay in Malaysia
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Thank you!

Pickfords are arriving this morning so just about to pack up last bits like my computer.

Flights are booked for 24 Feb so will arrive on 25 Feb - can't wait!!

Thanks everyone for your all advice.

Sarah.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Bon Voyage!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:21 am

Happy Landings Sarah Hope the move goes smoothly.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

kml100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scrasey2
Thanks everyone for your responses.

We'll definitely bring the TV and DVD now too.

Sarah.
Hi Sarah, I'm curious to know if your UK tv works in Malaysia.

May
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi May,

Yes it works absolutely fine thanks as does the DVD player.

Are you thinking of bringing a UK tv over?

Sarah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.