Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Brits Living Overseas can Vote in UK Elections

Brits Living Overseas can Vote in UK Elections

Old Apr 29th 2015, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Beauregard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits Living Overseas can Vote in UK Elections

For anyone that doesn't know this already: UK citizens living overseas are entitled to vote in UK elections.

I registered the wife and I online as overseas residents for voting purposes. The lady I dealt with at my local Electoral Office in the UK told me that a postal vote wouldn't work for us because of the time that correspondence would take between Malaysia and the UK; however, we could designate a proxy to vote on our behalf, who would go to our usual polling station and submit our votes.

Sorry to post this too late for the next UK general election on 7 May 2015 but on the bright side there is plenty of time to register for subsequent elections!

For more information see: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...neral-election
Old Apr 29th 2015, 8:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits Living Overseas can Vote in UK Elections

Originally Posted by Beauregard
For anyone that doesn't know this already: UK citizens living overseas are entitled to vote in UK elections.

I registered the wife and I online as overseas residents for voting purposes. The lady I dealt with at my local Electoral Office in the UK told me that a postal vote wouldn't work for us because of the time that correspondence would take between Malaysia and the UK; however, we could designate a proxy to vote on our behalf, who would go to our usual polling station and submit our votes.

Sorry to post this too late for the next UK general election on 7 May 2015 but on the bright side there is plenty of time to register for subsequent elections!

For more information see: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...neral-election
Limited to those who have been out of the UK less than 15 years though..
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:31 pm
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beauregard
we could designate a proxy to vote on our behalf, who would go to our usual polling station and submit our votes.
...and those who have no proxy...
...and those who are not intending upon returning (if I recall correctly)...

Personally, I am glad that I'm not part of the UK electorate as the only choice I would make (None of the above) is not on the ballot sheet.

So I'll stick with Malaysia, sunshine and self-disenfranchisement.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 8:47 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You're not Russell Brand, are you?
Old Apr 30th 2015, 8:54 am
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
You're not Russell Brand, are you?
Russell Brand is an asshole and admittedly, so am I, but we are not the same person.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 8:58 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools
Russell Brand is an asshole and admittedly, so am I, but we are not the same person.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 9:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 6th 2015, 1:32 am
Expat in Malaysia

British expats around the world have complained that they’ve not received their ballot papers in time for their postal votes to count in Thursday’s general election.

Reports from as far afield as France, Brazil and the United States emerged this week of the problem, which has left expats “damn cheesed off” according to one campaigner.
Brian Cave, 82, who has lived in south eastern France for 17 years, runs a blog focusing on expat voting rights.

He said: “There is prima facie evidence accumulating that large numbers of citizens abroad have not received any ballot papers for the election. They are disenfranchised. The electoral registration officers in various constituencies have not sent out the papers in time so that they can be returned in good time before May 7.”
General election 2015: Expats in uproar over missing ballot papers ahead of Thursday's poll - Telegraph
Old May 6th 2015, 7:16 am

Mmm all sounds fishy to me

I see that Asshole Brand (he who told everyone NOT to vote) is now urging folks to vote Labour What a plonker.