Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Bars and pubs in KL and the suburbs

Bars and pubs in KL and the suburbs

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bars and pubs in KL and the suburbs

A few places have been mentioned in various threads but just thought a dedicated thread on this important subject would be quite welcome

There's one in KL centre (Bukit Bintang??) that we've been taken to a couple of times called I think The Green Man. It's a Scottish pub, quite small but decent British pub grub, and quite lively atmosphere.

I'd be quite interested if anyone knows any decent pubs in Petaling Jaya as I'll be down there very soon on a short trip. No doubt our friends we are staying with will know of a few places. But if anyone's got any ideas......
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bars and pubs in KL and the suburbs

Are these places air con.
Unless out for a slap up meal and drink we prefer no air con, fan con at most.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Are these places air con.
Can't remember. I may have been 3 sheets possibly

I do remember the food was good at the Green Man. Comfort grub, but wouldn't want it every day. Just once in a while. Liver n Bacon, that kind of thing.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yer Maw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, not exactly an Ex-Pat, but hope my post is still welcome. I'm in the RAF and we are travelling to Butterworth next month for an exercise. Staying at the Evergreen Laurel in Georgetown. I was over there 12 years ago, but just looking for an update on bars and clubs to go to. Noticed a couple of posts about the RAAF Bar, is that the one that had the wee swimming pool next to it and the terrace? Visited there last time and wondered if it was still there as they were very welcoming. Cheers.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:40 am

Hi... welcome to BE. I see you've posted this in 2 threads so I'll reply on the Penang one... as it's about Penang.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Geremi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
A few places have been mentioned in various threads but just thought a dedicated thread on this important subject would be quite welcome

There's one in KL centre (Bukit Bintang??) that we've been taken to a couple of times called I think The Green Man. It's a Scottish pub, quite small but decent British pub grub, and quite lively atmosphere.

I'd be quite interested if anyone knows any decent pubs in Petaling Jaya as I'll be down there very soon on a short trip. No doubt our friends we are staying with will know of a few places. But if anyone's got any ideas......
I wonder how many people you have offened calling the Little Green man a Scotish pub ;-). Its irish! Links to the leprachaun haha!

There is also a gastro pub around the corner from The little green man called Albion. It does brittish food, more expensive mind but nice .

In Desa Hartamas there is a pub called "Bulldog" and it allows you to have things like English Breakfast and Toad in the hole.

Ceylon Bar is also a place where Brits tend to hang out, going to check it out later to validate this rumour...
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:48 am

Well I don't know about that. Our Scottish friend took us there a couple of times and he pointed out the Scottish owner. I've just found a website for it here

http://www.wix.com/greenmankl/the-gr...D%3D#!__dining

It mentions, quote, "one the most unique British pub and restaurants in Malaysia" and "offers a range of British pub cuisine".

Sounds a bit confusing, ya??
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Geremi
In Desa Hartamas there is a pub called "Bulldog" and it allows you to have things like English Breakfast and Toad in the hole.
Just found a website for that one too. That looks like a fun place. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Hi Baked Bean,

No need to cover the Changkat Bukit Bintang bars because if you have been to the Green Man you will have seen Finnegans & all the other bars along there.

I have not been for some time but The Funtheque @ the Ship in Bukit Bintang was a cracking Friday night out. The sexy divas still dance there but trying to spot any adams apples is difficult as they are that pretty! There always used to be a superb drag act playing there that would home in on any ex-pat in the front row by asking his wife/girlfriend if he is any good/big, all that kind of nudge nudge wink wink humour but he carried it off very well indeed. There's also a live band & they serve some decent food as well.

Heritage Row also transforms at night into a fun bar filled area.

A good English pub in Bangsar is the George & Dragon.

In PJ there is the Kudo Pub run by a South African, it is located in the 'Out Of Africa' restaurant which is inside a leisure centre. The pub is good & the restaurant even better.

Enjoy

Last edited by TopHattedCat; Sep 29th 2011 at 4:51 pm. Reason: spelling mistake, I hate them!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:42 am

Got taken to out of Africa and kudo a couple o days ago and tbh not at all impressed with either. Overpriced and food not that great amongst other moans. Liked Cheers in damansara. Good mix locals n expats and great curries
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Hi bakedbean,

I get where you are coming from about the Kudo bar & the restaurant being a bit pricey, but when I ate there (about 6 months ago) the quality of the food was good.

I ate the Bobotie Curry which is a traditional SA dish and I was surpised to learn its origins lays with the Malaysian migrants shipped in by the East India company many years ago. This Bobotie is a baked curry & I loved it

I also had a crab soup starter that was a real rip off though RM18 for a tiny bowl, it did taste quite good but definitely not good value.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:35 am

One of our friends had that dish and it looked interesting. I had a lamb Natal curry and the lamb was very much scrag-end. I'm also not a big fan of fruit in curries... too sweet for my tastebuds.

Not impressed either with a couple of odd items on our bill (drinks we never had)

Anyway I'll stop there before I get too negative.