Reload this Page >

Accommodation Negotiation...

Accommodation Negotiation...

Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

jackslackofsurprise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation Negotiation...

Hi everyone.

I've been researching our move over to Malaysia and, in particular, at the cost of accommodation. The school I'll be working for will be providing an allowance, which will give my partner and I the freedom to choose where we live. It's not a hell of a lot of money compared to some of the figures that I've seen bandied about in the forum, in all honesty, but c'est la vie.

Anyway, to cut to the chase-I've read that rental rates are negotiable. My question is: how negotiable are we talking here?

Before I'm accused of being cheap (I am, if only slightly ), the properties that fit us well for location (without going overboard) are already more than we can afford with the allowance. As much as I'd like to be able to fork out the extra cash, we need to buy a car when we arrive, we have other setting up costs and I'll be undertaking a Master's programme later in the year-another drain on funds. If we could save some of the housing allowance to divert towards utilities and etc. it would relieve some of the financial strain.

Does anyone have any thoughts what I might reasonably expect to knock off the price of a rental?

Thanks for anybody who can provide any insights!

(P.S. Only three and a half weeks till my partner and I arrive! )
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation Negotiation...

A negotiation is just that.

The owner has put his property up for a higher rent than he really expects given the market forces currently operating, they'll be different in Singapore than Malaysia and different in Penang from KL from JB.

Do your homework on the net and get a feel for prices.

Your first offer doesn't have to be your last but depending on how many boxes the property ticks may point you on what to offer because you don't want to upset the owner such that he won't listen to a reknewed offer you might make.

Also you don't want to have made an offer which you later think is too high.
I'm sure you know most of this anyway.

It also depends how quickly you want to move in to a place.
But don't ask the agent to guide you or if you do don't follow what he suggests blindly.
Agents have their own agendas.

Maybe if you find a place you like you can contact someone on here by PM to check your offer.
There will be posters who have an idea and if you don't want to show your offer publicly then the PM is your best bet.

Like all negotiations there is an art to it.

Good luck.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 10:44 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of moving from a condo to a house here, some landlords have been open to negotiation and others determined to get their price, even if that means their property is vacant for six months.

I believe you will have a better chance in a new condo, where there might be quite a few units empty. Some areas such as KLCC have an oversupply which can drive prices down. What area would you be looking at?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

jackslackofsurprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much Exreg-a lot of what you said confirmed my own view of the situation. I know that what I've asked is kind of like asking 'how long is a piece of string?' and people will have difficulty giving advice for my specific circumstances; I was just curious whether anyone might have success stories and be able to quote a percentage they managed to knock off the list price. And for what it's worth-I'd never trust an agent when it comes to money!

Ajw-I wish that my partner were going to KL! As it stands, we're going to be in Negeri Sembilan and, based on the research that I've done, it looks like we're limited to a house, as opposed to a condo (something we'd actually prefer!). Housing is relatively plentiful in this area, and similar to what you said, I have noticed the same properties on the market for at least four months, meaning that negotiation might not always be possible.

We have a couple of weeks to play with, in terms of searching once we're there, so I'm sure that'll give us a couple of options.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Dd33 is on a distinguished road

My experience is to definitely haggle

The first link house we lived in here in Malaysia the asking price was 5k we paid 4k.
We moved to a semi-d that was asking 6.5k we agreed on 5.5k including a golf membership

So definitely haggle, maybe look at a scooter instead of a car or try to live within walking distance of the school and use taxis for the first little while (they are really cheap).

Good luck
Old Aug 11th 2013, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

rps323150 is an unknown quantity at this point

What would be typical rents at KL Sentral- 2hk fully furnished?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi

How much is an unfrunished apartment rent lower than a furnished apartment ( % wise or in absolute terms),.....locations are Bagar, KL Sentral and Mont Kiara

regards
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

Good question, but it varies depending on size. We're in a 3br 1,700sf apartment and got quoted 1,200-1,500 per month for furniture rental. Most landlords would back to back their tenancy agreement with the furniture package, I'd imagine, so this would likely have been the discount price. We ended up renting furnished so the landlord could deal with furniture and we just requested specific items we wanted.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nakrob
Good question, but it varies depending on size. We're in a 3br 1,700sf apartment and got quoted 1,200-1,500 per month for furniture rental. Most landlords would back to back their tenancy agreement with the furniture package, I'd imagine, so this would likely have been the discount price. We ended up renting furnished so the landlord could deal with furniture and we just requested specific items we wanted.
Dear Nakrob

Thanks for the message. So as far as I understand:

1) If I take an unfurnished apartment, I may get minimum 1,000 MYR discount ( or so to say substantial discount- Please confirm)

2) The owners may try to give furniture ( as rental) and charge for it. But it is not mandatory for the tenant to take it- Please correct me if I am wrong

3) If I take unfurnished apartment, I can take specific items from owner and he charges only for those specific items and in that case the rents wont get increased to at par a fully furnished apartments?

Looking forward to hear from you

regards
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend on case by case basis I guess so I can't specifically answer your questions.

Some landlords may have purchased furniture for their apartment in which case it then may be an issue for them to rent unfurnished (what to do with the furniture) or replace items (increased cost for them).

In our case we'd viewed the apartment brand new and it was bare. The landlord had offered to rent it furnished and we'd done our own due diligence and calculation of what it would cost to rent unfurnished in our development, what it would cost us to buy new furniture ourselves, and what it would cost to rent furniture ourselves for an unfurnished apartment. Like I said before, in the end it was easier (and just as cost effective) for us to get the landlord to arrange furnishing and then we just have one monthly rental transaction to deal with.

As the apartment was bare we gave a list to the landlord of what we wanted ie bedroom mirrors on the walls, sofa bed in the study, extra entertainment unit, extra bedroom rugs, dressing table etc and he complied. We've even had some items changed since we moved in that we weren't quite happy with.

So back to your questions:

1. In my experience yes, unfurnished would have been more than 1,000 cheaper if the landlord is also renting furniture to rent the apartment to you furnished (again depends on size of apartment and quality of furnishing).

2. If the landlord has a bare apartment he may rent unfurnished or may rent furniture to then rent the apartment to you furnished. He may be able to mark up the furniture a bit as well so this may be in his interest.

3. This will depend on the landlord. It may be easier to just buy some things yourself in this case. Whatever you choose you'll be at Ikea at some point after moving in!

Last edited by Nakrob; Aug 13th 2013 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nakrob
It will depend on case by case basis I guess so I can't specifically answer your questions.

Some landlords may have purchased furniture for their apartment in which case it then may be an issue for them to rent unfurnished (what to do with the furniture) or replace items (increased cost for them).

In our case we'd viewed the apartment brand new and it was bare. The landlord had offered to rent it furnished and we'd done our own due diligence and calculation of what it would cost to rent unfurnished in our development, what it would cost us to buy new furniture ourselves, and what it would cost to rent furniture ourselves for an unfurnished apartment. Like I said before, in the end it was easier (and just as cost effective) for us to get the landlord to arrange furnishing and then we just have one monthly rental transaction to deal with.

As the apartment was bare we gave a list to the landlord of what we wanted ie bedroom mirrors on the walls, sofa bed in the study, extra entertainment unit, extra bedroom rugs, dressing table etc and he complied. We've even had some items changed since we moved in that we weren't quite happy with.

So back to your questions:

1. In my experience yes, unfurnished would have been more than 1,000 cheaper if the landlord is also renting furniture to rent the apartment to you furnished (again depends on size of apartment and quality of furnishing).

2. If the landlord has a bare apartment he may rent unfurnished or may rent furniture to then rent the apartment to you furnished. He may be able to mark up the furniture a bit as well so this may be in his interest.

3. This will depend on the landlord. It may be easier to just buy some things yourself in this case. Whatever you choose you'll be at Ikea at some point after moving in!
Thanks Nakrob,

Few more queries:

1) Just to clarify that generally owners cannot "force" me to take furnitures for an advertised/ agreed unfurnished/bare apartment.

2) In your experience were unfurnished/bare apartments in KL easily available or the market is mainly flush with furnished apartments and very difficult to find unfurnished/bare apartment ?

3) In your analysis, how much cost would it be for shifting the furniture from one apartment to other apartment by hiring a professional agency ( after the end of lease of 1 year)- u may give me a range?

4) As far as I understand the brokerage charges of the Agent is paid by the owners in KL- Correct me if I am wrong

5) In an unfurnished/bare apartment, there are basic facilities like gas connection, tube lights and fans?

6) In the rental agreement do we have clause of notice periods? i.e if I want to leave before the end of lease period, I can give a notice of 1 month/ 2 month and then I need not pay for the rest of the period which I wont be staying?

Thanks in advance
regards
Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rps323150
Thanks Nakrob,

Few more queries:

1) Just to clarify that generally owners cannot "force" me to take furnitures for an advertised/ agreed unfurnished/bare apartment.

2) In your experience were unfurnished/bare apartments in KL easily available or the market is mainly flush with furnished apartments and very difficult to find unfurnished/bare apartment ?

3) In your analysis, how much cost would it be for shifting the furniture from one apartment to other apartment by hiring a professional agency ( after the end of lease of 1 year)- u may give me a range?

4) As far as I understand the brokerage charges of the Agent is paid by the owners in KL- Correct me if I am wrong

5) In an unfurnished/bare apartment, there are basic facilities like gas connection, tube lights and fans?

6) In the rental agreement do we have clause of notice periods? i.e if I want to leave before the end of lease period, I can give a notice of 1 month/ 2 month and then I need not pay for the rest of the period which I wont be staying?

Thanks in advance
regards
1. Landlord can't 'force' you to do anything. Negotiate before signing the tenancy agreement. There's more supply than demand. If they won't change furniture or unfurnish then try another landlord.

2. Most furnished from what I saw but could offer unfurnished. It seemed they would all accommodate most requests within reason.

3. No idea on this sorry, try google

4. We had to pay 50% of the stamping duty on the agreement which was a few hundred ringgit. Landlord pays all agent fees which I understand to be full first months rent

5. Beware that unfurnished can mean nothing, ie no lights, kitchen cabinets, curtains, water heaters etc. partly furnished implies these things are fitted and fully furnished includes sofas, white goods etc.

6. Leaving before the minimum term results in paying out the minimum term. On a two year contract you can get an 'expat clause' which allows you to break early if you demonstrate you are relocated overseas. We didn't bother and committed to a one year lease only.

Good luck. You'll find most answers to your questions are based on specific circumstances and properties which will become apparent once you start viewing and meeting agents.