Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Worlds worst drivers.

Worlds worst drivers.

Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worlds worst drivers.

I have driven all over Europe, some of western Asia and even north Africa but I don't think anywhere has drivers worse than in Vermont !!!

It seems that when you fit a green licence plate to your car it goes 10 mph below the speed limit and wanders about from lane to lane, the driver also become totally oblivious to whats going on around him.

Today I saw the worst of the worst. I Left I-91 at Brattleboro for route 30 over the mountains to Manchester, the speed limit is 50 mph most of the way and involves some pretty steep climbs. I had a light load so could keep going given the chance ............ Some chance ! For 35 miles I was stuck behind two idiots who drove 10 mph below the limit everywhere, even 20 in a 30 and 30 in a 40 etc, every time something came the other way they slowed to a crawl. If the fact that even when they were climbing the mountains they didn't notice a full sized truck having to actually use the engine brake going up hill behind them didn't get them to realise what chaos they were causing or looking in the mirror they may have noticed the mile long line of traffic behind them. I eventually got past them going up a steep grade when they moved into a crawler lane (made for trucks).
One of our drivers is from VT and the truck he drives have NY plates, he drives like the wind, then gets inot his VT plated pick up truck to drive home and doesn't go over 20 mph....... What is it with these people ?

Rant over
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:31 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worlds worst drivers.

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I have driven all over Europe, some of western Asia and even north Africa but I don't think anywhere has drivers worse than in Vermont !!!

It seems that when you fit a green licence plate to your car it goes 10 mph below the speed limit and wanders about from lane to lane, the driver also become totally oblivious to whats going on around him.
Rant over

Perhaps the green paint on the plates is super heavy

Ant
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that most annoys me about other drivers is when then don't indicate. This seems to be almost entirely connected to the using of a mobile phone (not enough hands to both knock the indicator and stick phone to side of head).

It's worse here, where using mobiles in cars isn't even frowned on, let alone illegal, but it doesn't seem to be enforced in Britain any more. The police there seem more intent on nicking drivers for eating a Kitkat than using a phone.

I've been nearly hit half a dozen times in the past week by some silly mare who can't phone and drive at the same time.

My rant
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cinnabar
dozen times in the past week by some silly mare who can't phone and drive at the same time.

My rant
don't you mean and drink their coffee/soda whilst putting their make up on
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:00 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
The thing that most annoys me about other drivers is when then don't indicate. This seems to be almost entirely connected to the using of a mobile phone (not enough hands to both knock the indicator and stick phone to side of head).

It's worse here, where using mobiles in cars isn't even frowned on, let alone illegal, but it doesn't seem to be enforced in Britain any more. The police there seem more intent on nicking drivers for eating a Kitkat than using a phone.

I've been nearly hit half a dozen times in the past week by some silly mare who can't phone and drive at the same time.

My rant
I heard it was illegal in NY.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

My OH says that in Wisconsin the ignition switch and the cell phone are inextricably linked..you never see one without the other. I did have the fortune to see a driver eating his dinner the other day on a plate (plastic of course) with a fork and trying to navigate the roads at the same time. Christ knows what would have happened if his cell phone had gone off as well.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:58 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

For goodness sake stop bitching until you have driven in Fort Myers.

We only have red light bulbs to give the green ones a rest.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Today I saw the worst of the worst. I Left I-91 at Brattleboro for route 30 over the mountains to Manchester, the speed limit is 50 mph most of the way and involves some pretty steep climbs. I had a light load so could keep going given the chance ............ Some chance ! For 35 miles I was stuck behind two idiots who drove 10 mph below the limit everywhere, even 20 in a 30 and 30 in a 40 etc, every time something came the other way they slowed to a crawl. If the fact that even when they were climbing the mountains they didn't notice a full sized truck having to actually use the engine brake going up hill behind them didn't get them to realise what chaos they were causing or looking in the mirror they may have noticed the mile long line of traffic behind them. I eventually got past them going up a steep grade when they moved into a crawler lane (made for trucks).
One of our drivers is from VT and the truck he drives have NY plates, he drives like the wind, then gets inot his VT plated pick up truck to drive home and doesn't go over 20 mph....... What is it with these people ?

Rant over

Sorry, I have to say Georgia drivers take the cake. Of course the first driver's license I had was from Vermont.............
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there pretty shocking in Mass too

but it's the complete lack of lane discipline that gets me...
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:41 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
there pretty shocking in Mass too

but it's the complete lack of lane discipline that gets me...

Growing up in NH and VT, the rule was to watch out for Mass drivers. In Ohio it was Michigan drivers.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

newbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I've seen some of the worst driving of my life on the I95 in Connecticut - it often feels like they're out to get me!

Plus what's with the tailgating - some days I can virtually see the eye colour of the person in the car behind.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, well, well.... This ought to fit right in then.

Britain's drivers 'most uptight'

Hand helds are illegal in Santa Fe, but they only seem to enforce it with tourists. Preferably Texans. IMHO it doesn't matter whether it's hands free or not - phoning and driving doesn't seem to work too well either way.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:29 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Driving in Texas is taking your life into your own hands. :scared:

<I'm not even sure what that means but I'm quite sure it is horrible>

:scared:
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:33 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Western Australia are crap drivers...Since being here (4 months) I've witnessed some horrific driving,I've witnessed a pile up and a car throwing a motorcyclist up in the air... :scared:
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:14 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I have driven around the beltway in d.c no problem but drivers here are unbelievable! My hubby has had 4 car accidents in the past 10 months none are his fault. 2 ploughed in to him while at a petrol stop and car wash just didn't even look. The others in to the back of him on the 405. I will not drive on the 405.
Making the driving instructions - signal then mirror and manoeuvre is insane!!
And why when US people are so polite in conversation they can't transfer that to the road - I'll never know why!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.