WORDS

Old Aug 18th 2020, 2:02 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORDS

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Yes, but only of the utmost highest quality!
Of course.

Anything else would reflect badly on him.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 2:11 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Of course.

Anything else would reflect badly on him.
That's what is most important, how it reflects on him! Why on earth would you think anything else?
Old Aug 19th 2020, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

A word i have come to know very well over my years in spain( Hematology )In the olden days they were called vampires
Old Aug 19th 2020, 4:53 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

When I was young and in primary school I was often late in the morning having played on the way and I'd a list of excuses, I'd have been about 6 ot 7 at the time.
One day I was talking with my mother who explained the meaning of a new word I'd heard, 'dawdling' meaning walking slowly.
Inevitably I was late for school shortly after.
When quizzed by the teacher why I was late, I replied proudly with my new word 'I dawdled' thinking I'd fare better than admitting 'I played' that I suspected would not go well.
'I dawdled' was not received as expected and I remember being 'bemused' by the response.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
When I was young and in primary school I was often late in the morning
Originally Posted by Teacher
You should have been here at 9.00
Originally Posted by dave_j
Why, what happened?

Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:44 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
When I was young and in primary school I was often late in the morning having played on the way and I'd a list of excuses, I'd have been about 6 ot 7 at the time.
One day I was talking with my mother who explained the meaning of a new word I'd heard, 'dawdling' meaning walking slowly.
Inevitably I was late for school shortly after.
When quizzed by the teacher why I was late, I replied proudly with my new word 'I dawdled' thinking I'd fare better than admitting 'I played' that I suspected would not go well.
'I dawdled' was not received as expected and I remember being 'bemused' by the response.
Brendan Grace once told the best example of a real Irish joke. I'll have to reconstruct it from memory...
Sean and Ciaran were brothers from a poor family in West Cork and not too enamoured of their school, often arriving late, to the frustration of the teacher.

One day, Sean arrived 10 minutes late for school, so the teacher asked "Nice to see you! So, why are you late?"
"I was having my breakfast", said Sean, quietly.
"Very nice," said the teacher sarcastically, "so what did you have for your breakfast?"
"A boiled egg" said Sean, looking at his desk.
"Very well, get on with your work", said the teacher, shaking his head.

10 minutes later, Ciaran arrived - and the teacher asked "Good morning, child of grace. So, where have you been?"
"I was having my breakfast", said Ciaran, looking him straight in the face.
"Very nice," said the teacher as if he'd not heard that before, "so what did you have for your breakfast?"
"A boiled egg" said Ciaran
"Well now! " said the teacher triumphantly, "Your brother also had a boiled egg for his breakfast, yet arrived 10 minutes before you. Now how d'ye explain that?!!"

Ciaran glared back at him and said with some rancour "Had I a spoon? Had I ?!!"
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
A word i have come to know very well over my years in spain( Hematology )In the olden days they were called vampires
If they're drawing blood from big brawny men they call it hemantology.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
If they're drawing blood from big brawny men they call it hemantology.
Of course, if you're British, that doesn't work (It's Haematology, from the Greek "Haima")
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Of course, if you're British, that doesn't work (It's Haematology, from the Greek "Haima")
The British use a few Greeked-up words like that, and I suppose some colonies still use them. Since I'm not British I felt free to respond to el collado kid's usage of the word hematology.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:42 pm
Resident Cynic

The British use a few Greeked-up words like that, and I suppose some colonies still use them. Since I'm not British I felt free to respond to el collado kid's usage of the word hematology.
You are welcome to do so, but the use of British spelling is not confined to colonies, despite the power of the web.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

You are welcome to do so, but the use of British spelling is not confined to colonies, despite the power of the web.
Think that will delay their demise? The English language is the equivalent of found objects in a magpie's nest, and from time to time some objects fall out, and likewise some words.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

the utmost highest quality!
Is that like "very unique"?
Old Aug 19th 2020, 7:11 pm
Resident Cynic

Think that will delay their demise? The English language is the equivalent of found objects in a magpie's nest, and from time to time some objects fall out, and likewise some words.
History suggests that's not the case, hence the differences between many flavours of the same language.

Last edited by macliam; Aug 19th 2020 at 8:24 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 8:02 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In the US it's phlebotomy.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 8:23 pm
Resident Cynic

In the US it's phlebotomy.
Isn't that the taking of blood, rather than the study of blood?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.