Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What tunes are you listening to right now?

What tunes are you listening to right now?

Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:13 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What tunes are you listening to right now?

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
There was.

And Ocean Colour Scene slipped under the radar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rr4tXN2eJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIhFpmzRKYM
Not for me, they didn't. I loved The Day We Caught The Train from day 1. Legit band too, but there was lots of amazing stuff from that time.

Looking back, I think Radiohead are my favorite of the 90s British bands now but it was wall to wall good shit between 1994 and 1998.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:16 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I don't know if it was the same in the 60s (Beatles all the way ) but I liked both Oasis and Blur in the 90s and I think a lot of that 'rivalry' was made up or exaggerated. I still liked Oasis I little better because they had a heavier sound.
Not sure how far down this trench/plank you think that my weakening limbs will continue to bear me?

Mum's point was 'nice good looking chaps' over 'shouty people', I'm pretty sure.

If you want a 'heavy' sound, put a bluetooth speaker right next to someone you love (preferably while still asleep on the morning of their birthday), set volume pretty high, cue 'Park life', then run off to make the coffee.

Electro-wise, have you listened to any Rafael Cerato?
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:24 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
There was.

And Ocean Colour Scene slipped under the radar
<snip links>
Ocean Colour Scene were definitely on my radar.

Rumours are that there's a new work in the pipe entitled "Someone posted while you were typing", but that's all I know.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:30 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how far down this trench/plank you think that my weakening limbs will continue to bear me?

Mum's point was 'nice good looking chaps' over 'shouty people', I'm pretty sure.[/quote]

That's what got people into The Beatles in the beginning but as much as I like The Stones, I just think the Beatles are/were better musicians and wrote just slightly better songs. But I think The Beatles are better than every other band so I'm also biased.

But I never thought they were mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
If you want a 'heavy' sound, put a bluetooth speaker right next to someone you love (preferably while still asleep on the morning of their birthday), set volume pretty high, cue 'Park life', then run off to make the coffee.
Not sure if heavy was the right word, but that would work.

Dirtier guitars maybe, even though generally I'd prefer Graham Coxon's setup of Telecaster into VOX over Noel's Sheraton into Marshall in person. I don't know, they just did it for me slightly more at the time.

Radiohead, as I discovered when I first listened The Bends in late 1995, did it better than both of them anyway.

Electro-wise, have you listened to any Rafael Cerato?
Not yet. Mostly now I've just been revisiting stuff like Utah Saints and The Prodigy, while also becoming mildly obsessed with Daft Punk.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:36 pm
BEfuddled

... while also becoming mildly obsessed with Daft Punk.
Random Access Memories = best album ever
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:38 pm
Doin' It Right

Random Access Memories = best album ever
That's the album that got me into them, and it's ridiculously good. But I think I like Discovery just a little more. Not by much though.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:49 pm
BEfuddled

That's the album that got me into them, and it's ridiculously good. But I think I like Discovery just a little more. Not by much though.
This is good stuff, I've been slowly working back of late, Discovery is well up there, but ... dunno, will give it another spin later tonight.

I have to admit to having a certain something for Nile Rodgers - that'll be my Bowie gene kicking in again.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 13th 2021 at 8:54 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 8:56 pm
Doin' It Right

This is good stuff, I've been slowly working back of late, Discovery is well up there, but ... dunno, will give it another spin later tonight.

I have to admit to having a certain something for Nile Rodgers - that'll be my Bowie gene kicking in again.
RAM is super polished and Nile's a god on guitar, there's not one single bad moment on the entire album.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 9:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 21st 2021, 11:49 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

That's what got people into The Beatles in the beginning but as much as I like The Stones, I just think the Beatles are/were better musicians and wrote just slightly better songs. But I think The Beatles are better than every other band so I'm also biased.

But I never thought they were mutually exclusive.
I hear what you're saying about no mutual exclusivity, but my head is screaming "Muswell Hill"!! The first single I ever bought was "All Day and All of the Night" and I remain loyal to them even now. I bought Beatlles records and respected their music, but though I always "liked" the Stones, I have never, ever bought anything by them..... There are others, but no exclusivity.

Then I got caught up in the Irish folk revival, which spoke to a deeper part of me. I remember seeing Planxty and Five-Hand Reel (OK, Scottish, but genre) close-up at Uni (I knew the organizers!) and so, so many bands (good and bad) around Kilburn and Hammersmith as well as back home - the Kytelers in Kilkenny when I was running my factory and any and every pub venue in the area (outside Dublin - I have some standards!!)

Then (or at the same time) it was Ska and Punk and Two-Tone and Reggae and New wave, comixed. All of these still move me - although you had to kiss a lot of frogs.....

Old Nov 22nd 2021, 3:16 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I hear what you're saying about no mutual exclusivity, but my head is screaming "Muswell Hill"!! The first single I ever bought was "All Day and All of the Night" and I remain loyal to them even now. I bought Beatlles records and respected their music, but though I always "liked" the Stones, I have never, ever bought anything by them..... There are others, but no exclusivity.

Then I got caught up in the Irish folk revival, which spoke to a deeper part of me. I remember seeing Planxty and Five-Hand Reel (OK, Scottish, but genre) close-up at Uni (I knew the organizers!) and so, so many bands (good and bad) around Kilburn and Hammersmith as well as back home - the Kytelers in Kilkenny when I was running my factory and any and every pub venue in the area (outside Dublin - I have some standards!!)

Then (or at the same time) it was Ska and Punk and Two-Tone and Reggae and New wave, comixed. All of these still move me - although you had to kiss a lot of frogs.....
It's all good, there was tons of great stuff flying around back then. The Beatles just did it for me in a way the others didn't, probably because iwas more used to hearing them around the house and whatnot. When I 'rediscovered' them (by which I mean started listening to them more than just in passing) when I was 15/16 it was when their Anthology series was coming out so I was caught up in the second wave of Beatlemania in the mid-90s. And now with Get Back about to be released there's a third wave coming and I'm totally here for it.

My dad was (is) a folkie so that was always around in the house too. When I started learning violin in school he taught me stuff like Flower of County Down (which actually happened to be a piece in my learn the violin music book) and The Little Beggarman which he'd play along with on his guitar. I haven't even really looked at my violin for about 25 years though but I could probably plunk them out on a mandolin . My friend's girlfriend's dad around the time I just left school was involved in the folk 'scene' in Whitehead of all places so I used to go hang out in a little pub down there too and listen to them and play along if i was handed something with strings on it. I have since discovered The Dubliners and I love their stuff too.

I enjoy punk/ska but I wasn't around for it's inception.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 4:42 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

It's all good, there was tons of great stuff flying around back then. The Beatles just did it for me in a way the others didn't, probably because iwas more used to hearing them around the house and whatnot. When I 'rediscovered' them (by which I mean started listening to them more than just in passing) when I was 15/16 it was when their Anthology series was coming out so I was caught up in the second wave of Beatlemania in the mid-90s. And now with Get Back about to be released there's a third wave coming and I'm totally here for it.

My dad was (is) a folkie so that was always around in the house too. When I started learning violin in school he taught me stuff like Flower of County Down (which actually happened to be a piece in my learn the violin music book) and The Little Beggarman which he'd play along with on his guitar. I haven't even really looked at my violin for about 25 years though but I could probably plunk them out on a mandolin . My friend's girlfriend's dad around the time I just left school was involved in the folk 'scene' in Whitehead of all places so I used to go hang out in a little pub down there too and listen to them and play along if i was handed something with strings on it. I have since discovered The Dubliners and I love their stuff too.

I enjoy punk/ska but I wasn't around for it's inception.
I'm grateful for having been around when and where I was - bucking the showband trend to support the Kinks was an early choice. Then, when I came to the UK in my early teens, I had an older friend who introduced me to this "unknown" group called Cream (unknown then to most people as they weren't a pop group).... and we ended up at the Goodbye concert because his old man was a property developer and had free tickets - I was 14 at the time! A few months later, I walked into Bath one afternoon and saw a poster for a festival of Blues on the Recreation Ground the following Saturday, the "unknown" bands then being Fleetwood Mac (the original lineup), Ten Years After and a new band called Led Zeppelin, amongst others. I think that ticket cost me 17s6d (87.5p!!). A year after that, I bounced the second Bath Festival (the big one) with my Biker buddies (!) with Zeppelin, Canned Heat, the Byrds, Steppenwolf, etx., but also Pentangle and Fairport Convention nodding me to the folk side. After that, it became "interesting" as property development in Bath went crazy and the money backed bands like Roxy Music, Hawkwind and Mott the Hoople who played free concerts - plus Zeppelin (again) at the pavillion and exposure to early-ish ska and moon-stomp - and breathe! Uni brought Tangerine Dream, Queen (at the Gaumont in town), Planxty, Five Hand Reel, Talking Heads, Foxx.... Dr. Feelgood played at one of the halls of residence every 5 minutes, then the Stranglers and the Clash (at the Top Rank, '77) plus trips to London and the Marquee (thrown out!) and the Roxy (wish I had been!). Back to Ireland and a vain attempt to ignore "Country and Irish" and steep myself in trad, before a return to the UK and the post-punk period. I think that was a fairly wide experience!

So many folkies I met were "with the Dubliners before they got famous", but there was a lot of talent and a lot of Irish bouzouki and bodhran - however, the Dubs were a bit "pubby" to me (so many like them in the pubs around Kilburn and Hammersmith), but if you've never had exposure to De Dannan, for the clever "Irishization" stuff, some links below...... (they start straight but slowly get more Irish!)

Last edited by macliam; Nov 22nd 2021 at 4:46 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 4:55 pm
Doin' It Right

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I'm grateful for having been around when and where I was - bucking the showband trend to support the Kinks was an early choice. Then, when I came to the UK in my early teens, I had an older friend who introduced me to this "unknown" group called Cream (unknown then to most people as they weren't a pop group).... and we ended up at the Goodbye concert because his old man was a property developer and had free tickets - I was 14 at the time! A few months later, I walked into Bath one afternoon and saw a poster for a festival of Blues on the Recreation Ground the following Saturday, the "unknown bands then being Fleetwood Mac (the original lineup), Ten Years After and a new band called Led Zeppelin, amongst others. I think that ticket cost me 17s6d (87.5p!!). A year after that, I bounced the second Bath Festival (the big one) with my Biker buddies (!) with Zeppelin, Canned Heat, the Byrds, Steppenwolf, etx., but also Pentangle and Fairport Convention nodding me to the folk side. After that, it became "interesting" as property development in Bath went crazy and the money backed bands like Roxy Music, Hawkwind and Mott the Hoople who played free concerts - plus Zeppelin (again) at the pavillion and exposure to early-ish ska and moon-stomp - and breathe! Uni brought Tangerine Dream, Queen (at the Gaumont in town), Planxty, Five Hand Reel, Talking Heads, Foxx.... Dr. Feelgood played at one of the halls of residence every 5 minutes, then the Stranglers and the Clash (at the Top Rank, '77) plus trips to London and the Marquee (thrown out!) and the Roxy (wish I had been!). Back to Ireland and a vain attempt to ignore "Country and Irish" and steep myself in trad, before a return to the UK and the post-punk period. I think that was a fairly wide experience!

So many folkies I met were "with the Dubliners before they got famous", but there was a lot of talent and a lot of Irish bouzouki and bodhran - however, the Dubs were a bit "pubby" to me (so many like them in the pubs around Kilburn and Hammersmith), but if you've never had exposure to De Dannan, for the clever "Irishization" stuff, some links below...... (they start straight but slowly get more Irish!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNYDsjZtcQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5sbS1cBS8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8zKqt8POhA
There were so many good bands about in the late 60s, you were really spoiled for choice. I suppose your 60s were my 80s, or thereabouts. I was still mostly just listening to what my dad listened to back then but we'd tape the top 40 off Radio 1 on a Sunday as well to listen to in the car going into school during the week so I had an ear on new stuff as well. I started to get properly into music on my own when I was around 11, my cousin lent me Queen's Greatest Hits and I got mad into them, eventually finding my way to Pink Floyd, and then getting caught up the early 90s with REM, U2, Nirvana and the whole grunge scene.

I was in uni in the late 90s, so Britpop was winding down but I was getting really into Radiohead at the time, as well as getting turned on to Dylan as part of my continuing Beatles fascination. That's kind of when my fascination with Knopfler started too because I was finally able to start learning to play his stuff.

I never realized the Dubs were considered that way but I suppose they kind of brought the trad stuff back in the 60s if my dad's to be believed. I've not run into any folkies that I haven't enjoyed yet though, I'll check those out later.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 5:10 pm
Resident Cynic

There were so many good bands about in the late 60s, you were really spoiled for choice. I suppose your 60s were my 80s, or thereabouts. I was still mostly just listening to what my dad listened to back then but we'd tape the top 40 off Radio 1 on a Sunday as well to listen to in the car going into school during the week so I had an ear on new stuff as well. I started to get properly into music on my own when I was around 11, my cousin lent me Queen's Greatest Hits and I got mad into them, eventually finding my way to Pink Floyd, and then getting caught up the early 90s with REM, U2, Nirvana and the whole grunge scene.

I was in uni in the late 90s, so Britpop was winding down but I was getting really into Radiohead at the time, as well as getting turned on to Dylan as part of my continuing Beatles fascination. That's kind of when my fascination with Knopfler started too because I was finally able to start learning to play his stuff.

I never realized the Dubs were considered that way but I suppose they kind of brought the trad stuff back in the 60s if my dad's to be believed. I've not run into any folkies that I haven't enjoyed yet though, I'll check those out later.
Yeah, just a word to the wise, the head on Frankie Gavin! He can fill an entire room......

There's even a Muslim Imam from London, Muhammad Al-Hussaini, who sings "Sean Nós" style in near perfect Irish...... and one from closer to home (for you)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.