Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What tunes are you listening to right now?

What tunes are you listening to right now?

Old Nov 13th 2021, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What tunes are you listening to right now?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
There was a miraculous period for rock-type music, imo. Roughly 1965 - 1985. I know there were good people afterwards of course, but the concentration during those years was extraordinary.
It all stems down to the fact that four amazing musicians grew up within minutes and months of each other in a post-industrial city in postwar England. If Paul hadn't gone to see the Quarrymen that day, if he hadn't rode the bus to school with George, if they hadn't run into the best drummer in Liverpool while in Hamburg, how much of that music to come would we have been denied?
Old Nov 13th 2021, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

None because someone keeps removing the videos
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It all stems down to the fact that four amazing musicians grew up within minutes and months of each other in a post-industrial city in postwar England. If Paul hadn't gone to see the Quarrymen that day, if he hadn't rode the bus to school with George, if they hadn't run into the best drummer in Liverpool while in Hamburg, how much of that music to come would we have been denied?

And if it hadn't been for all those overlooked old bluesmen in the US, too.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

And if it hadn't been for all those overlooked old bluesmen in the US, too.
I know and if Dylan hadn't introduced The Beatles to dope in 1964 they'd have probably never done Rubber Soul or Revolver.

To be fair, the boys themselves were always really good at recognizing and highlighting the music that influenced them.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I know and if Dylan hadn't introduced The Beatles to dope in 1964 they'd have probably never done Rubber Soul or Revolver.

To be fair, the boys themselves were always really good at recognizing and highlighting the music that influenced them.
Yes, they and the Stones both credited their sources well.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:18 pm
I have a comma problem

Yes, they and the Stones both credited their sources well.
Even Oasis weren't shy in admitting they ripped off The Beatles 30 years later
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:21 pm

Even Oasis weren't shy in admitting they ripped off The Beatles 30 years later

I could never see the point of Oasis. They just seemed like a Beatles cover band in spirit. I'd rather listen to the Beatles themselves.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 5:35 pm
I have a comma problem

I could never see the point of Oasis. They just seemed like a Beatles cover band in spirit. I'd rather listen to the Beatles themselves.
I preferred to listen to The Beatles at the time too, and actually they came out right when I was beginning to get properly obsessed with The Beatles as well.

I can't explain why I like them so much but I still listen to their first two albums very regularly and at the time they were one of my favorite bands.

Maybe it's because I was a teenager when the whole Britpop thing really took off in earnest, and was in the middle of my own musical awakening. I also liked Blur almost as much. I am a total sucker for anything 90s too.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 6:06 pm

I preferred to listen to The Beatles at the time too, and actually they came out right when I was beginning to get properly obsessed with The Beatles as well.

I can't explain why I like them so much but I still listen to their first two albums very regularly and at the time they were one of my favorite bands.

Maybe it's because I was a teenager when the whole Britpop thing really took off in earnest, and was in the middle of my own musical awakening. I also liked Blur almost as much. I am a total sucker for anything 90s too.

We get attached to the music of our adolescence, almost irrespective of quality. I still like some really silly stuff from mine.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 6:10 pm
I have a comma problem

We get attached to the music of our adolescence, almost irrespective of quality. I still like some really silly stuff from mine.
I just recently got into all the electronic music I rejected growing up so its like get to relive the whole decade again!
Old Nov 13th 2021, 6:21 pm

I just recently got into all the electronic music I rejected growing up so its like get to relive the whole decade again!

Brilliant. Do you get to wear rebellious-looking clothing and annoy the adults?
Old Nov 13th 2021, 6:26 pm
I have a comma problem

Brilliant. Do you get to wear rebellious-looking clothing and annoy the adults?
I guess I could buy a Packers shirt and kill two birds with one stone.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 6:46 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

It's odd, when I was thinking of growing up, it seemed that it was a bit 'tribal', that one was either a Beatles or Stones person ... at that point I was Beatles (I blame my mum for that).

If I remember correctly, there was a similar 'tribal' thing going on much later with Oasis and Blur?

Blur, me
Old Nov 13th 2021, 6:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
It's odd, when I was thinking of growing up, it seemed that it was a bit 'tribal', that one was either a Beatles or Stones person ... at that point I was Beatles (I blame my mum for that).

If I remember correctly, there was a similar 'tribal' thing going on much later with Oasis and Blur?

Blur, me
I don't know if it was the same in the 60s (Beatles all the way ) but I liked both Oasis and Blur in the 90s and I think a lot of that 'rivalry' was made up or exaggerated. I still liked Oasis I little better because they had a heavier sound.
Old Nov 13th 2021, 7:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
There was.

And Ocean Colour Scene slipped under the radar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.