Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
haven't heard that word for years!

Nice place Pawleys Island, we were there last weekend
I love it here, it is obviously a little bit different to Sunny Sheffield. I have been here 3 months now and am slowly getting used to life over here.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:17 pm
Banned

tarantula is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chayowl View Post
Me and the wife doing our shopping list, Ryan (9 years old SC born and bred) takes a look and says "we have enough food for a lot of meals" I say "there should be enough to make meals to last a fortnight" says Ryan "or maybe enough for Five nights" ........I didn't know fortnight had not made it over here.
Nope Neither has thrice -- we say three times On the other hand, once and twice is accepted.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here, it is obviously a little bit different to Sunny Sheffield. I have been here 3 months now and am slowly getting used to life over here.
There are at least 5 other expats in this area now, we should try getting a meet-up going after the Easter hols if anyone fancies that?

Glad you are enjoying it here, it is a very pretty area of SC. Just wait till the humidity starts, see how you like it then!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:28 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

There are at least 5 other expats in this area now, we should try getting a meet-up going after the Easter hols if anyone fancies that?

Glad you are enjoying it here, it is a very pretty area of SC. Just wait till the humidity starts, see how you like it then!
Does it snow in SC? You might get a 6th soon
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

That would be great to try and get something going, we could bore our other half's to death sharing even more tales of the old country and the good old days

I have been warned of what to expect come the summer, of course both boys play Baseball for various teams so I have a whole summer of 3 hour Baseball games to look forward to. I have already made the point very strongly that 85F and above see's me at home with the AC for company.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
We had our snow storm on Saturday. It lasted about 30 mins at best, nothing settled and that was it probably for the year. The last time it snowed was 3 years ago, so it is not very common
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:27 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We had our snow storm on Saturday. It lasted about 30 mins at best, nothing settled and that was it probably for the year. The last time it snowed was 3 years ago, so it is not very common

Our worst season in the 8 years I've been here was 2007/08. We accumulated 92" that winter ...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:27 pm
Banned

tarantula is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be great to try and get something going, we could bore our other half's to death sharing even more tales of the old country and the good old days
Nope, I never tire of hearing those stories. Especially when we are in England and my husband gets together at the pub with his mates. I truly miss the pubs and the fun evenings. I think it's a hallmark of an island nation. The natives are so much friendlier and fun-loving
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

When I was around five years old, my grandfather started taking me places on his motorcycle (the pub mostly, much to my mothers dismay).

He is long gone now, but I have a photograph of us together on the bike, taken around 1966-7.

A friend of mine in England, went back to the spot the photo was taken, as near as he could judge it, and took a new shot. He then overlaid one with the other into a sort of forty five year time-lapse. The roofline on the houses matches pretty well, as does the remains of the telegragh pole.

Just decided to pull it out and look this morning... It's one of the few pics I have of him. He was a great guy.

Anyhow... figured I would bore you guys with a pic of an old man none of you know.

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:15 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
When I was around five years old, my grandfather started taking me places on his motorcycle (the pub mostly, much to my mothers dismay).

He is long gone now, but I have a photograph of us together on the bike, taken around 1966-7.

A friend of mine in England, went back to the spot the photo was taken, as near as he could judge it, and took a new shot. He then overlaid one with the other into a sort of forty five year time-lapse. The roofline on the houses matches pretty well, as does the remains of the telegragh pole.

Just decided to pull it out and look this morning... It's one of the few pics I have of him. He was a great guy.

Anyhow... figured I would bore you guys with a pic of an old man none of you know.

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-pfx7gT8-L.gif

Cool

Awww..how cute you were nice bike
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Our worst season in the 8 years I've been here was 2007/08. We accumulated 92" that winter ...
Not 'real' snow The winters here are mostly pretty mild, we had a bit of snow 3 yrs ago, about an inch, lasted almost the full day, but most of the schools closed down!!

I was in IL for that one, have some really pretty pictures of it, it was the freezing rain there that was the worst part, loss of power trees down etc!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have been warned of what to expect come the summer, of course both boys play Baseball for various teams so I have a whole summer of 3 hour Baseball games to look forward to. I have already made the point very strongly that 85F and above see's me at home with the AC for company.
I will try and get in touch with the others and work something out, I think it would be fun

Do not envy you and those b'ball games, you will not find me sitting outside anywhere for 3 hours during the hot 'n' humid Summers here!!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How cool is that!!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely old pic.

Nice bike, too.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Lovely old pic.

Nice bike, too.
Triumph Tiger 90... he gave it to me on my 18th birthday. He also had a BSA Starfire.. Not sure where that one went.

I remember he had wooden blocks on the rear footpegs so I could reach em. One of my main jobs was to run back and fetch his hat (old flat cap) when it blew off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.