Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Mar 8th 2022, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
In 1978 I was managing a factory in Ireland, but my family were in England, so I flew over to stay with them.

I flew from Dublin to Lulsgate (Bristol Airport), which was then a very basic setup and was the only place I ever saw three separate checks for new arrivals.... there was immigration, then there was customs.... and then there were some other bods in suits who asked to see documents (good old "Special Branch").

When I got to them, they looked at my passport and said "Oh yes, Mr.xxxxx, we know all about you..."

It worried me then, it still worries me now!!.
.....it's a strong "no thanks" from me to that situation.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
If anyone ever starts looking into some of my more disreputable relatives there's going to be hell to pay
Regarding the offspring, if he wants any help with CV stuff or ideas, I'm happy to offer any assistance, given I'm the world's greatest, and most modest, construction / engineering flesh trader.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 12:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

Regarding the offspring, if he wants any help with CV stuff or ideas, I'm happy to offer any assistance, given I'm the world's greatest, and most modest, construction / engineering flesh trader.
Thank you, that's a kind offer. Thing is he doesn't have very much to put on there yet, other than his uni coursework. His work experience consists of spooning out gelato before Covid hit which isn't as relevant to engineering as you might at first think. He's applied for a load of graduate job openings (including the one he can't tell me about). Let me see if I can extract his most updated one from him.

Old Mar 8th 2022, 12:59 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

When I got to them, they looked at my passport and said "Oh yes, Mr.xxxxx, we know all about you..."

It worried me then, it still worries me now!!.
Don't worry, they often do that anyway, just to rattle you. Had it done to me!

Old Mar 8th 2022, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that's a kind offer. Thing is he doesn't have very much to put on there yet, other than his uni coursework. His work experience consists of spooning out gelato before Covid hit which isn't as relevant to engineering as you might at first think. He's applied for a load of graduate job openings (including the one he can't tell me about). Let me see if I can extract his most updated one from him.
I'd not worry too much, people don't expect to see much on a grad CV, just that they can put something coherent together. Long, boring details about being a team player and organised in a shop job should be kept limited, in my opinion.

More relevant would be any internships / work experience in the relevant field if he has it.

Grad jobs are probably the most competitive jobs going when it comes to the big firms, but also, he must, must, must, must remember that the battle to attract good Grads is unreal. The offer to acceptance ratio of good school grads for top firms is outrageously low, because they'd have a few options to pick from. Be a bugger and go for as many as humanly possible - if in civil engineering use the list of companies that I'm sure will be on the ICE website (I imagine). I could pull a list but hopefully he already knows and has been to enough grad fairs to know who's worth targeting.

Be selfish with them as well, as objective as possible with the offers (money should be irrelevant basically) and pick something that offers growth quickly and the most rounded, structured and respected grad scheme....the one that gives the warm fuzzy feeling in the gut. Crusty old dinosaurs dominate the industry so a Grad scheme run by a younger generation would be really beneficial as the industry is moving and changing (slowly).

Happy to look at a CV but don't actually hire grads myself, it's done by another team so can try to help if needed.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't believe he is ready to graduate !! we are all proud of him.
No more Little Lion. We need to rename him
Old Mar 8th 2022, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A mate failed security clearance for an application with MI5 / MI6 or whoever. He applied for a laugh and then found out there's a cousin thrice removed and extended sideways and 2nd level somewhere in Ireland who was on hunger strike once.

Interesting way to do some family tree work, but was a well kept family secret on this side of the water it seemed!
What if they'd accepted him?
Old Mar 8th 2022, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
What if they'd accepted him?
They'd have known more about him than he did.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 2:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not worry too much, people don't expect to see much on a grad CV, just that they can put something coherent together. Long, boring details about being a team player and organised in a shop job should be kept limited, in my opinion.

More relevant would be any internships / work experience in the relevant field if he has it.

Grad jobs are probably the most competitive jobs going when it comes to the big firms, but also, he must, must, must, must remember that the battle to attract good Grads is unreal. The offer to acceptance ratio of good school grads for top firms is outrageously low, because they'd have a few options to pick from. Be a bugger and go for as many as humanly possible - if in civil engineering use the list of companies that I'm sure will be on the ICE website (I imagine). I could pull a list but hopefully he already knows and has been to enough grad fairs to know who's worth targeting.

Be selfish with them as well, as objective as possible with the offers (money should be irrelevant basically) and pick something that offers growth quickly and the most rounded, structured and respected grad scheme....the one that gives the warm fuzzy feeling in the gut. Crusty old dinosaurs dominate the industry so a Grad scheme run by a younger generation would be really beneficial as the industry is moving and changing (slowly).

Happy to look at a CV but don't actually hire grads myself, it's done by another team so can try to help if needed.

Thanks for the tips. One of the obstacles has been that the jobs fairs at his uni have been cancelled time and again due to covid, and now everything has gone online. The recruiting companies used to put up stands in the Engineering buildings for casual conversations, and he did talk to a couple of companies that way (one of whom was the interview he can't tell me about, and they said that most people don't go through on the first round but that's it's absolutely worthwhile retrying on the second round a little later this spring). He is onto ICE, so that's covered.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 2:55 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

They'd have known more about him than he did.
It's OK for you to laugh! Somewhere, in a dusty room, is a dusty file with my name on it........

I can only presume that nobody learned to read........
Old Mar 8th 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jolly Good View Post
I still can't believe he is ready to graduate !! we are all proud of him.
No more Little Lion. We need to rename him

I think he's stuck being the Little Lion for ever really. I will be there in July to see him do the cap and gown thing, though. His uni uses purple, as did mine over here, so we will have similar coloured tassels
Old Mar 8th 2022, 3:16 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's stuck being the Little Lion for ever really. I will be there in July to see him do the cap and gown thing, though. His uni uses purple, as did mine over here, so we will have similar coloured tassels
My faculty used pale blue and yellow...... so these days it might be accused of being "on trend"!!
Old Mar 8th 2022, 8:17 pm

My faculty used pale blue and yellow...... so these days it might be accused of being "on trend"!!

I'm struggling with the vestiges of medieval practice being on trend at all
Old Mar 8th 2022, 8:32 pm
Resident Cynic

I'm struggling with the vestiges of medieval practice being on trend at all
Ummmm.... what are the colours of the Ukrainian flag?
Old Mar 8th 2022, 8:59 pm

Ummmm.... what are the colours of the Ukrainian flag?

I did get it.

I'm slow, but not that slow....
Old Mar 8th 2022, 9:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.