Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Nov 18th 2021, 6:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I have found a new solution for my sweet tooth…rather than chocolate. Chop an apple into small pieces, then generously sprinkle with cinnamon.
You can do that with buns instead of apples.

/helpful
Old Nov 18th 2021, 6:30 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post

/helpful
You'd like it in the Alentejo!

Old Nov 18th 2021, 7:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
They put it in everything up here.

No idea why. Everything tastes so much better without it.

Old Nov 18th 2021, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

/helpful
What about cake?

Anything sweet flavoured with cinnamon is a hit with me.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 7:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
You'd like it in the Alentejo!
Churros?
They used to sell them at West Bay near the harbour when I was 15 and I remember making my own in the 70s.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 8:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Churros?
They used to sell them at West Bay near the harbour when I was 15 and I remember making my own in the 70s.
Similar, but bigger. Churros exist in Portugal too, but Farturas are more popular. As in most things Iberian, Spain shouts loudest, but not necessarily with reason. It's thought that the idea for the fried dough came from China and Portuguese traders sourced cinnamon from Ceylon in 1518 - remember, the east "belonged" to Portugal, whereas Spain got the Americas.

I do love "churros con chocolate", particularly as a hangover cure. Many moons ago I spent all New Year's night going from bar to bar in Rincon de la Vitoria with a group of guys who worked in Germany, but part-owned said bars. Much (and varied) strong liquor was taken. This ended with an early "breakfast" of churros on the seashore to "settle the liver". I deserved a hangover, I had worked for a hangover, I was owed a hangover...... but, nothing.

Old Nov 18th 2021, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

They put it in everything up here.

No idea why. Everything tastes so much better without it.
Agree! Cinnamon hides the real taste of everything.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 7:05 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Agree! Cinnamon hides the real taste of everything.
Hmmm, I'd agree that it's not appropriate "everywhere", but I guess it's a question of the amount used and how and where it's used.
But I have to disagree with you about it "hiding" the taste - unless it's used inappropriately.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 8:39 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Long ago when I would eat McDonald's food, their ketchup seemed to have extra cinnamon to hide the taste of rotten meat.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 9:13 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Long ago when I would eat McDonald's food, their ketchup seemed to have extra cinnamon to hide the taste of rotten meat.
But, but surely they use only "the finest cuts of British and Irish beef"?

Are you saying they tell porkies (or indeed that they add them to the recipe)?????
Old Nov 19th 2021, 9:23 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In 1974 I had to bring a friend's Irish Setter (Spud) into town to get his shots at the vet. I went to McDonald's with the dog, bought something for myself and a hamburger for the dog and we ate in the truck. He sniffed at the burger, flipped it apart with his nose, ate the bun and left the meat.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 10:13 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
In 1974 I had to bring a friend's Irish Setter (Spud) into town to get his shots at the vet. I went to McDonald's with the dog, bought something for myself and a hamburger for the dog and we ate in the truck. He sniffed at the burger, flipped it apart with his nose, ate the bun and left the meat.
Maybe it's an Irish thing? Strange as this may sound, whilst I have eaten burgers from other outlets, I have NEVER eaten anything from McDonalds..... although much of this was down to the presentation and the fact that I don't eat cheese

Old Nov 19th 2021, 10:58 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I had a friend who was a chef, and he said he'd never eaten a McDonald's hamburger, but confessed to having had the occasional filet-o-fish sandwich.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:18 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Maybe it's an Irish thing? Strange as this may sound, whilst I have eaten burgers from other outlets, I have NEVER eaten anything from McDonalds..... although much of this was down to the presentation and the fact that I don't eat cheese
You wont find cheese at McDonalds.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You wont find cheese at McDonalds.
Would you like yellow plastic with that? Ick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.