Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 25th 2021, 4:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
What do you do if lockdown prevents you from going to your Aunty's funeral? If you're Ben the Australian sheep farmer, you make a heart out of sheep (with the help of some cunningly placed feed). The way Ben tells the story made me smile, the video made me teary. Watch the tweeted video, it's the one played at the funeral with Ben's chosen music.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...te-to-his-aunt

That's pretty clever.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 4:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's pretty clever.
Even if his first attempt 'looked like the shit emoji'

It was that bloody Bridge Over Troubled Water that made me cry

I hope you're having the bestest time.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 8:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I think we would all be better off if we didn't have this "must own a house at all costs" thing goin on.
The ability to own my own home is the only thing stopping me from becoming a Maoist
Old Aug 25th 2021, 9:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
The ability to own my own home is the only thing stopping me from becoming a Maoist

That's why The Man makes us all buy property. It keeps us down.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 9:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's why The Man makes us all buy property. It keeps us down.
I prefer to think of them as possessions. It's a less ugly word, don't you think?

Old Aug 25th 2021, 9:34 pm

I prefer to think of them as possessions. It's a less ugly word, don't you think?

Stuff.

I suspect home ownership and rise in housing value is what has kept the Tories in power. Don't get me wrong, it would be lovely to have somewhere to live where you are beholden to nobody and don't pour money into someone else's pocket every month. But it's also responsible for a lot of ills, creating disparity of wealth and, in the tiny UK, a housing shortage and unaffordable housing.

But anyway. Wrong thread.

Best stick to Almond Slices and Bakewell tarts.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 9:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Stuff.

I suspect home ownership and rise in housing value is what has kept the Tories in power. Don't get me wrong, it would be lovely to have somewhere to live where you are beholden to nobody and don't pour money into someone else's pocket every month. But it's also responsible for a lot of ills, creating disparity of wealth and, in the tiny UK, a housing shortage and unaffordable housing.

But anyway. Wrong thread.

Best stick to Almond Slices and Bakewell tarts.
Yes, wrong thread indeed.

Anyone remember those jaffa fingers? Kind of like an orange flavored Gansito for our North American readers, chocolate covered sponge with a bit of orange jam and cream on the top side. Good shit.

And that M&S chocolate layer cake that came in a block, with the lovely icing and chocolate sprinkles was a perennial favorite in my granny's house. There was a yellow sponge version too with jam and coconut. Yum.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 10:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
What do you do if lockdown prevents you from going to your Aunty's funeral? If you're Ben the Australian sheep farmer, you make a heart out of sheep (with the help of some cunningly placed feed). The way Ben tells the story made me smile, the video made me teary. Watch the tweeted video, it's the one played at the funeral with Ben's chosen music.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...te-to-his-aunt

Old Aug 26th 2021, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 26th 2021, 1:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

​​​​​​
Old Aug 26th 2021, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Been a while since I saw one of her videos. I love her "useless inventions."
Old Aug 26th 2021, 2:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Going through customs:
Old Aug 26th 2021, 3:06 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Going through customs:
I just saw that exact same post, you're obviously as bored as I am today ...

Also that's security, not customs
Old Aug 26th 2021, 9:14 pm

It's always a little easier knowing that home is 'there', even if have no immediate plans to go there.

Actually for all I know I'd be ok to travel but my sister said something about them not being allowed out here so that might be me over exaggerating a one-way problem. Wouldn't be the first time.

I really never knew how much I'd miss the sea air though. Even on a warm day, the air by the sea just feels more crisp than here. Like you could snap off a piece of it. I can feel it as soon as I walk out the airport door in Dublin.
You, coming from the US and being fully vaccinated are more than ok to go to Ireland, and the UK. UK rules are "yellow", ie covid test to get on the plane, a day 2 test once landed, no quarantine, and a test to go back to the US. Check it's the same in NI, but it should be no worse. The US isn't allowing anyone in from the UK unless they are US citizens, green card holders, and a few other hangers on.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 9:27 pm
I have a comma problem

You, coming from the US and being fully vaccinated are more than ok to go to Ireland, and the UK. UK rules are "yellow", ie covid test to get on the plane, a day 2 test once landed, no quarantine, and a test to go back to the US. Check it's the same in NI, but it should be no worse. The US isn't allowing anyone in from the UK unless they are US citizens, green card holders, and a few other hangers on.
Good to know but it's no big deal. Don't fancy 8hrs on a plane with a ****ing mask on anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.