Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I know what you mean, back in those days of no insulation, no central heating and single glazing, keeping warm was a priority. We had a small window by the larder that meant a fridge was more a luxury than a necessity..... But I was lucky, my Da worked for a big electrical wholesaler and was an ESB-trained spark, so we were never without the latest electric heaters.........and since he'd bridged the meter, cost didn't matter either Ah, simpler days!

I've been trying to remember the Sunday schedule, I think it was "Family Favourites" then the comedy programme, then SSS (or something like that) - I must be going sealion as it ought to be burned into my memory forever!!
Apparently when the Light Programme finished and became Radio Two, SSS continued until 2001!! I'm shocked!
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:51 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
We had nowhere to escape to in winter so Sing Something Simple is a huge memory for me. If we left the room with the radio and fire we'd freeze to death!

Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
'This video is unavailable'. It's ok, it's been on a loop in my brain ever since Macliam mentioned it!
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:15 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaaargh!!

Imagine if it was still on today, easy listening rap.........
Old Oct 8th 2018, 1:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
'This video is unavailable'. It's ok, it's been on a loop in my brain ever since Macliam mentioned it!

Apparently you have to click through to watch it on YouTube. It won't play back on other sites.

It's ok though - you know what it sounds like.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:25 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I was speaking with my sister earlier and she reminded me of Sunday afternoons at home years ago, sitting in the kitchen, listening to the radio while mum did the ironing........ Making sure you were in time for "The Navy Lark", or "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" or "Round the Horne" and escaping before "Sing Something Simple"
You have transported me back to a certain tiny kitchen a long time ago.

There was no escaping Sing Something Simple. That was not long before tea-time I think.

Argh! What have you done. It's stuck in my head now, closely followed by launching straight into By the Light of the Silvery Moon.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 10:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
...It's stuck in my head now...
Allow me to remove it. Or replace it.

Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Programmes like 'Your hundred Best Tunes' and The Mike Samms singers. But the Sunday Comedy Hour was always the best, abd, although the majority of the listening public didn't get it, KW was always amazed just how much of the Gay language of the day he managed to get into his songs and sketches.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:51 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

I was speaking with my sister earlier and she reminded me of Sunday afternoons at home years ago, sitting in the kitchen, listening to the radio while mum did the ironing........ Making sure you were in time for "The Navy Lark", or "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" or "Round the Horne" and escaping before "Sing Something Simple"
She just sent me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJj3JeZVirw

Gone 30 years...... jeez it makes me feel old!
I know what you mean, back in those days of no insulation, no central heating and single glazing, keeping warm was a priority. We had a small window by the larder that meant a fridge was more a luxury than a necessity..... But I was lucky, my Da worked for a big electrical wholesaler and was an ESB-trained spark, so we were never without the latest electric heaters.........and since he'd bridged the meter, cost didn't matter either Ah, simpler days!
I've been trying to remember the Sunday schedule, I think it was "Family Favourites" then the comedy programme, then SSS (or something like that) - I must be going sealion as it ought to be burned into my memory forever!!
Now it's in my brain! Like one of those annoying 'hook' ad tunes....
The good news is that black & white TV's set to return to the UK next year! On at 6pm off at 10pm. It's cheap, saves energy on the national grid, has two channels, and the male-only newsreaders will wear collar & tie. That'll please some round here....
I try to keep a little sound archive so I've added the link above.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:51 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Programmes like 'Your hundred Best Tunes' and The Mike Samms singers. But the Sunday Comedy Hour was always the best, abd, although the majority of the listening public didn't get it, KW was always amazed just how much of the Gay language of the day he managed to get into his songs and sketches.

Last edited by macliam; Oct 10th 2018 at 9:57 am.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 2:27 pm

Still going strong....

Old Oct 10th 2018, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 10th 2018, 8:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That was being listened to in the last series of Unforgotten.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

At last, I'm actually too young to remember all of the above. That has made me smile
Old Oct 10th 2018, 11:59 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I have The Navy Lark on CD.

It's right though. Those Sunday afternoons radio listening were wonderful.

The only one I could not stand was the Clitheroe Kid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.