Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:47 pm
  #21211  
Still mal-fonted. Why?
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 3,638
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
And steak.
Whippy whoo, crossing my fingers...

You serious about thinking of getting out of the land of the free?
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:54 pm
  #21212  
Still mal-fonted. Why?
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 3,638
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
You can laugh... my eldest is 27 at the beginning of September and still has a year to do at the VERY LOCAL uni. He'll be the oldest engineering graduate the world has ever seen.
AND HE STILL LIVES AT HOME.
Mind you, so do the other two.
I laugh at people who complain about the cupboards being bare 2 hours after shopping.. here, food doesn't even make it into the cupboards.
Love it!

Our eldest ~ aged 29 ~ only moved out a few months back when she twigged that we were selling the house from under her feet.

Edit, odd characters due to Swiss/French keyboard, not on my usual machine.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Aug 17th 2018 at 10:56 pm.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 2:37 am
  #21213  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,856
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What? Do you have a private jet or something?


Hubby has just asked me to order M&S sandwiches...to be delivered for lunch tomorrow.

Seriously...30 hr delivery from UK to Canada...brilliant.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:10 am
  #21214  
BE Forum Addict
 
lizzyq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College PA, finally!
Posts: 2,464
lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Tentative congrats on your empty nest, but best of luck to both boys as well, of course.

I always realize when I see posts like this that my wife and I have never been in a situation when it was just us. My son was already six when I inherited him (he is now 20 and has plans to join the coastguard but has no immediate plan to move out ), then we had our daughter when he was 12. I hope she isn't sick of me by the time we are all by ourselves
The same situation for us. Steveq and I met just before my daughter's 5th birthday, now she is 30 and a mum herself. Having been a mum since I was 20 I'm looking forward to having my wild twenties in my fifties
lizzyq is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:38 am
  #21215  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Hmm. Different tactic. A friend of my parents, on his silver wedding anniversary, said that the reason his wife had put up with him for so long was that because he traveled for business she had actually only had to live with him for half that amount of time.

So maybe a new job?
Retirement (or semi-retirement) beckons for me next year. Bahtatsprog3 is flying the nest this month, so Bahtatgirl will have the house to herself. I've been abroad for 10 years on my own - re-settling isn't going to be smooth, and I think one of the reasons why the waters have been relatively calm during that time is the Japanese maxim: "The ideal husband is healthy, wealthy and absent".
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:40 am
  #21216  
BE Forum Addict
 
Ingles's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Alcobaça
Posts: 4,823
Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Remember the "good old day's" before the inmates took over the asylum !
Not only made me smile , but also sad
http://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-...ency-interview
Ingles is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 1:26 pm
  #21217  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
Remember the "good old day's" before the inmates took over the asylum !
Not only made me smile , but also sad
http://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-...ency-interview
"lunatics"
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 2:38 pm
  #21218  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out of place
Posts: 51,829
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Whippy whoo, crossing my fingers...

You serious about thinking of getting out of the land of the free?
Yes, I've had enough freedom thanks. The decision is made, it's the funds that are lacking.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:01 pm
  #21219  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,626
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Love it!

Our eldest ~ aged 29 ~ only moved out a few months back when she twigged that we were selling the house from under her feet.

Edit, odd characters due to Swiss/French keyboard, not on my usual machine.

(You are lucky you are not using a Hungarian keyboard!) - 44 Alphas!


Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 18th 2018 at 3:06 pm. Reason: English only
Expatrick is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2018, 11:08 pm
  #21220  
Officially Bewildered
 
Dreamy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Posts: 5,399
Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Retirement (or semi-retirement) beckons for me next year. Bahtatsprog3 is flying the nest this month, so Bahtatgirl will have the house to herself. I've been abroad for 10 years on my own - re-settling isn't going to be smooth, and I think one of the reasons why the waters have been relatively calm during that time is the Japanese maxim: "The ideal husband is healthy, wealthy and absent".
When my parents married, my dad was in the merchant navy and spent long periods at sea. After my younger brother was born, Dad came home from sea to work in the local steelworks. Shift work, endless shift work for the next 30 plus years. Both my brother and I left home as soon as we were able to - then my brother emigrated to Greece and we emigrated to Australia. My parents have an age gap of about 5 years so they both retired at more or less the same age.

Three years after my dad retired, my mam kicked him out. I just think they had absolutely nothing in common, my mother had developed her own life whereas my dad hadn't (too ******* exhausted after decades of shift work!) and he didn't like being left all day while she went out socialising. They didn't speak to each other for 4 years after the separation but had something of a rapprochement last year when my mam needed someone to look after the dogs so she could go on holiday (I'm not making any judgement... well, okay I am).

Anyway, this waffle is just to say... have a plan for retirement!

Mr Dreamy is concerned that I'm planning the same thing... I've told him - don't turn into your mother and I won't turn into mine
Dreamy is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2018, 2:38 pm
  #21221  
Hail Satan!
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 46,400
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
The same situation for us. Steveq and I met just before my daughter's 5th birthday, now she is 30 and a mum herself. Having been a mum since I was 20 I'm looking forward to having my wild twenties in my fifties
My wife and I met right before our son's 6th. I was a little older though (25), and he's about to turn 20 . I'll be 49 when our daughter goes off to college, so I'll still have a few good years left in me
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2018, 5:18 pm
  #21222  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,847
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

A memory has just given me a smile. I was going through some paperwork related to an accident I had some years ago, which wrote off my company car (that's not the smiley bit!)

I was reminded of travelling to hospital in an ambulance, when my mobile phone rang. It was the very nice police officer who'd taken my statement at the scene and departed once the ambulance had arrived. He asked me what I was doing, which surprisingly didn't strike me at the time as a strange question (if he'd asked me what I was wearing, it may have). When I told him I was in the back of an ambulance, he said that he was very glad I wasn't behind the wheel because I didn't have a driver's licence.

If I wasn't in shock before, I was after hearing that. Boring reasons why I had forgotten to pay a fine for not having a train ticket, then moving house and not getting the reminders, with the result that my licence had been suspended. Nearly 2 years ago.

Although the accident was the other driver's fault, I was driving without a licence. Visions of having to come up with 40 grand for the company car, losing my job, going to prison (I wasn't thinking very straight!)

I wondered whose squeaky voice was asking him what was going to happen to me, it was mine. Honestly, I've never heard anyone squeak instead of talk, but I managed it. He told me to get online any time before midnight and pay the outstanding fine - my licence would be automatically reinstated and would show as valid on the date of the accident.

Bless that fine, 'dodgy in a good way', beautiful police officer!
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2018, 5:31 pm
  #21223  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Out of place
Posts: 51,829
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
A memory has just given me a smile. I was going through some paperwork related to an accident I had some years ago, which wrote off my company car (that's not the smiley bit!)

I was reminded of travelling to hospital in an ambulance, when my mobile phone rang. It was the very nice police officer who'd taken my statement at the scene and departed once the ambulance had arrived. He asked me what I was doing, which surprisingly didn't strike me at the time as a strange question (if he'd asked me what I was wearing, it may have). When I told him I was in the back of an ambulance, he said that he was very glad I wasn't behind the wheel because I didn't have a driver's licence.

If I wasn't in shock before, I was after hearing that. Boring reasons why I had forgotten to pay a fine for not having a train ticket, then moving house and not getting the reminders, with the result that my licence had been suspended. Nearly 2 years ago.

Although the accident was the other driver's fault, I was driving without a licence. Visions of having to come up with 40 grand for the company car, losing my job, going to prison (I wasn't thinking very straight!)

I wondered whose squeaky voice was asking him what was going to happen to me, it was mine. Honestly, I've never heard anyone squeak instead of talk, but I managed it. He told me to get online any time before midnight and pay the outstanding fine - my licence would be automatically reinstated and would show as valid on the date of the accident.

Bless that fine, 'dodgy in a good way', beautiful police officer!
Proper coppering.

But why do you lose your license over a train ticket?
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2018, 5:44 pm
  #21224  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,847
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Proper coppering.

But why do you lose your license over a train ticket?
It's very easy in my neck of the woods! Infringement notices (with fines attached) are issued by the police, local government authorities, government authorities such as public transport, and various others. You can get infringements for things like speeding, illegal parking, not registering your car, littering or failing to have safety equipment on a boat. You probably get one for picking your nose in public as well. If you don't pay the fine, your licence is suspended and you can't drive.

When travelling to work on public transport, I had to get a bus and then a train. I always bought a 'through' ticket on the bus. One day, I got a lift to the train station, and just jumped on the train as usual, forgetting that I hadn't been on the bus so didn't have a ticket. Of course, that was the day the ticket inspectors were out in force. It felt like everyone on the train was staring at me as I pulled out ticket after ticket from my bag, but of course not one for that day. So I got an infringement notice, moved house, forgot all about it - and thus embarked on a life of crime
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:08 am
  #21225  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 64,028
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
It's very easy in my neck of the woods! Infringement notices (with fines attached) are issued by the police, local government authorities, government authorities such as public transport, and various others. You can get infringements for things like speeding, illegal parking, not registering your car, littering or failing to have safety equipment on a boat. You probably get one for picking your nose in public as well. If you don't pay the fine, your licence is suspended and you can't drive.

When travelling to work on public transport, I had to get a bus and then a train. I always bought a 'through' ticket on the bus. One day, I got a lift to the train station, and just jumped on the train as usual, forgetting that I hadn't been on the bus so didn't have a ticket. Of course, that was the day the ticket inspectors were out in force. It felt like everyone on the train was staring at me as I pulled out ticket after ticket from my bag, but of course not one for that day. So I got an infringement notice, moved house, forgot all about it - and thus embarked on a life of crime
Surprised you got the visa to live in the UK with all that criminality going on.
moneypenny20 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.