Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jul 15th 2018, 3:02 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

This -

Memorials in Salzburg
Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:50 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Very fitting & dignified thing to do.
Not in the UK though - I saw an article about a Welsh resident so fed-up with all the pot holes he began repairing the roads in his own time & cost - the local govt. tossers went berserk...... UK, the Little Tin Gods rule....
Old Jul 16th 2018, 6:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Very fitting & dignified thing to do.
Not in the UK though - I saw an article about a Welsh resident so fed-up with all the pot holes he began repairing the roads in his own time & cost - the local govt. tossers went berserk...... UK, the Little Tin Gods rule....
There's another place where locals started to fill the holes with soil and plant shrubs etc, they were soon filled in.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:25 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
There's another place where locals started to fill the holes with soil and plant shrubs etc, they were soon filled in.
The problem is that local councils have now evolved a class of operative who now thinks that just dumping a bucket of cold-fill tarmac into a pothole will cure it - despite ample evidence to the contrary. A 4-inch deep hole on my nearest road junction has just been "repaired" for the third time since January. The equivalent of me taking half an hour filling a hole in my driveway left half the junction coned-off for 2 days and sporadic visits during this time (I presume, I didn't actually see anyone ). On past form, this repair will start to look a bit ragged within 10 days and the hole will reappear within a month. The clock is ticking........
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

That after having four 'refresher' golf lessons that completely ruined my swing, I went out today with the coach and OH and played the game of my life !.. Neither could believe how well I I hit the ball .The coach even said that after only seeing my performance on the driving range, he could be excused for believing he was playing with a different woman out on the course- Something must just have clicked. Great feeling.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:24 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The clock is ticking towards my flight to Portugal and I've fimally secured the "necessities" - LED SES bulbs, RSPCA cat and dog treatments, Ibuprofen gel and, finally, calamine cream. This last was the most difficult - because everywhere wants to sell you their own relief cream, none of which seems to work for SWMBO. Only seven different shops.......
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:25 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
That after having four 'refresher' golf lessons that completely ruined my swing, I went out today with the coach and OH and played the game of my life !.. Neither could believe how well I I hit the ball .The coach even said that after only seeing my performance on the driving range, he could be excused for believing he was playing with a different woman out on the course- Something must just have clicked. Great feeling.
Good for you!

I don't play, I tried 18 holes once many, many years ago, hit ONE good - nay, brilliant - shot in all eighteen holes - perfectly placed bang between two trees, coming to rest just off the green in 3. Despite the hole being a par 4, I finished 3 over.

I decided that I would end up more frustrated than enthusiastic, so that was the end of my foray into 'a good walk ruined'.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:32 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The clock is ticking towards my flight to Portugal and I've fimally secured the "necessities" - LED SES bulbs, RSPCA cat and dog treatments, Ibuprofen gel and, finally, calamine cream. This last was the most difficult - because everywhere wants to sell you their own relief cream, none of which seems to work for SWMBO. Only seven different shops.......
AND, bring a good anti-mozzi spray/band/patches or whatever macliam.
I have more bites on me this week than ever before- They're the ultra-weeny, weeny type too this year - they got through two layers of nets!!!
..... As a final defence you could cut out a picture of Trump...
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:41 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
AND, bring a good anti-mozzi spray/band/patches or whatever macliam.
I have more bites on me this week than ever before- They're the ultra-weeny, weeny type too this year - they got through two layers of nets!!!
..... As a final defence you could cut out a picture of Trump...
I was thinking of inviting some of our BE colleagues - one bite and the melga would die.
I'm hoping I've missed the annual horse-fly invasion - those are the buggers that always get me.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of inviting some of our BE colleagues - one bite and the melga would die.
I'm hoping I've missed the annual horse-fly invasion - those are the buggers that always get me.
You should invite Nutek. He loves the outdoors.

Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody clegs. I don't miss those bastards one bit.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Bloody clegs. I don't miss those bastards one bit.
OK come on, the Lib Dems were pretty feeble, but not as bad as horse flies...
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
OK come on, the Lib Dems were pretty feeble, but not as bad as horse flies...

I think that must be a Scottish/Irish name for them, never thought of that. I think we still get horse flies here but I don't remember ever seeing one.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:18 pm
Resident Cynic

I think that must be a Scottish/Irish name for them, never thought of that. I think we still get horse flies here but I don't remember ever seeing one.
What we call them down south can't be printed.......
(actually, it's creabhar, but we tend to use a shorter English expression!)
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:19 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

We had clegs in Buckinghamshire, but I can't remember if that was general, or just a term used by my celtic dad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.