Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jan 17th 2018, 7:32 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Close but not quite.
It's the best I can do
Old Jan 17th 2018, 7:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

At least it won't get changed to Violent Elizabeth.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:36 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I became a Great Aunt yesterday Caoimhe Mary was born in Australia, to my English nephew and his Irish girlfriend. I hope one day I get to meet her.

Anyone want to guess phonetically how you say that? That poor child is going to have a hard time with substitute teachers
Congratulations Auntie Nicky.
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
At least it won't get changed to Violent Elizabeth.
She's already being called Lily. (The Elizabeth part is for her great grandmother who went by Lily). But I did joke about her being called Violent
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:36 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I became a Great Aunt yesterday Caoimhe Mary was born in Australia, to my English nephew and his Irish girlfriend. I hope one day I get to meet her.

Anyone want to guess phonetically how you say that? That poor child is going to have a hard time with substitute teachers
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I'd hazard a guess at it being pronounced 'Kee-va' based on girls I knew back home who had similarly spelt (though different) names.
Now there's an interesting one ..... I'd have thought Queevuh in the northern dialects, though it's more like Keevuh down in Munster. I guess the pronunciation will depend on where the mam comes from. Whichever, it's a beautiful name - and means just that, 'comely, beautiful, beloved, precious -even gentle. It's the female form of Caoimhin, or Kevin. Remember to put a silver coin in her hand, so she'll never know hardship.

Céad míle fáilte, a Caoimhe. May strong arms hold you, caring hearts tend you and may love await you at every step.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:06 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone want to guess phonetically how you say that?
Is it like "COME HERE!"?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:19 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Is it like "COME HERE!"?
In Limerick, that would be more likemore like "C'mere, I wancha"
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. I like being a Great Aunt. You have little to do with them but you sound really important.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's the best I can do
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Now there's an interesting one ..... I'd have thought Queevuh in the northern dialects, though it's more like Keevuh down in Munster. I guess the pronunciation will depend on where the mam comes from. Whichever, it's a beautiful name - and means just that, 'comely, beautiful, beloved, precious -even gentle. It's the female form of Caoimhin, or Kevin. Remember to put a silver coin in her hand, so she'll never know hardship.

Céad míle fáilte, a Caoimhe. May strong arms hold you, caring hearts tend you and may love await you at every step.
You were both so close. Qweeva apparently is the correct pronunciation.

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Is it like "COME HERE!"?
That's what I'd be saying, rather than trying to pronounce it

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Congrats. I like being a Great Aunt. You have little to do with them but you sound really important.
Yeah! I'd love a cuddle though, we only have a really small family, and my daughter was the last baby to be born into it, and she's 15 now.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:07 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

A package in the mail today

Tonight we will drink tea and say thanks to some very special lovely people.

Totally made my day
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:09 pm
Resident Cynic

You were both so close. Qweeva apparently is the correct pronunciation.
I'll leave you to argue that with my cousin on Shannonside. Go n-éirí leat!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well she should have left earlier.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
A package in the mail today

Tonight we will drink tea and say thanks to some very special lovely people.

Totally made my day
Perfect day for it!!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 19th 2018 at 11:13 am.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:18 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it funny how for such a small island, Ireland has such a wide variety of accents and dialects? You only have to travel maybe 10-15 miles outside of Belfast into the countryside and the accent changes dramatically.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:29 pm
Resident Cynic

Isn't it funny how for such a small island, Ireland has such a wide variety of accents and dialects? You only have to travel maybe 10-15 miles outside of Belfast into the countryside and the accent changes dramatically.
Since Irish was suppressed nationwide, it only survived in those poor areas where the authorities didn't care much, mainly in the West and far from Dublin and Belfast. There was little cross-fertilization. So you get the 3 main dialects, Ulster, Connacht and Munster - and they can have some real differences - for example, the wonderful tuber is called préata in Ulster, fata in Connacht and práta in Munster (or Potato as Béarla)

Even in dialects, there are differences in separated communities, like Mayo and Connemara. Then, to make things even more complicated, in the Republic, the state intervened and has "standardised" the language mainly on the Connacht dialect (a move resisted in Muster in my youth). In the North, I'm guessing that the Ulster dialect persists (from the little I've seen on the BBC).

The accent business is different - just between Limerick, Kerry and Cork there is enough variation to make your ears bleed, as an example:

... and, just for the craic
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:45 pm
Doin' It Right

Since Irish was suppressed nationwide, it only survived in those poor areas where the authorities didn't care much, mainly in the West and far from Dublin and Belfast. There was little cross-fertilization. So you get the 3 main dialects, Ulster, Connacht and Munster - and they can have some real differences - for example, the wonderful tuber is called préata in Ulster, fata in Connacht and práta in Munster (or Potato as Béarla)

Even in dialects, there are differences in separated communities, like Mayo and Connemara. Then, to make things even more complicated, in the Republic, the state intervened and has "standardised" the language mainly on the Connacht dialect (a move resisted in Muster in my youth). In the North, I'm guessing that the Ulster dialect persists (from the little I've seen on the BBC).

The accent business is different - just between Limerick, Kerry and Cork there is enough variation to make your ears bleed, as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEoPt7zKb_E

... and, just for the craic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbk5o9Ms6sI
Oh yeah, I was only talking about the variations in how they speak English, add in Irish to the mix and it's exponentially more varied.

Up in Norn Irn, we have our own kind of bastardized mix of English and Ulster Scots, I suppose you could call it. Full of colloquialisms, of course. Irish is spoken in parts of West Belfast still, there are bilingual street name signs, but it's mostly cultural, we don't have a mini-Gaeltacht or anything.

Irish is starting to gain a bit of traction, even in East Belfast, thanks to Linda Ervine (who's brother-in-law was the ex-PUP leader and former UVF member of all people ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.