Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

What made you smile today? Part III

What made you smile today? Part III

Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
Always happy to throw a hand grenade into the mix Will sort something out when it's not 11pm on a Friday.
It's not now. Oh you didn't mean that literally did you?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
It's not now. Oh you didn't mean that literally did you?
How about now?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
How about now?
I think she's messing with us. It's midnight there.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:56 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t know whether this should be in Made Me Smile or Pissed Me Off, coz dollops of both.

Home on leave. Only car is the wife’s (a BMW). Off to see my mother one afternoon, notice what I thought was a stone in the tyre tread, but on closer inspection realised it was a nailed cable clip, with the nail straight into the tyre. Off to Kwik Fit in town; new tyre coz the nail was near the edge between the tread part and the side wall, so £159 the poorer but at least it happened while I was home, and they had a replacement tyre in stock. Plus and minus for that one.

100 yards from Kwik Fit, tyre warning light comes on (red, not the first-stage yellow). Back to Kwik Fit – “sorry mate, forgot to reset it” (even though the light hadn’t been on before). Fixed (or so I thought).
Next day (yesterday), 20 miles from home, red tyre pressure warning light comes on, but I could feel that there was no substantial inblanance in the tyre pressures. Back to Kwik Fit: tyre pressures ok, re-set light again, said they’d try to arrange a “colleague” with plug-in diagnostics to find out what was going on. In the meantime I rang BMW, with whom we have an extended warranty: “Can’t tell if the problem is covered by the warranty, can only find that out by doing some diagnostics which would be free of charge if the problem is covered, but £105 per hour if not, can’t tell how long the diagnostics will take till we do them… would you like to make an appointment?” Not at the moment, thanks. Kwik Fit couldn’t get in touch with the diagnostics mate, said they’d call later in the day; they didn’t. Overall on the minus side, ‘cept didn’t shell out any loot.

Today. 40 miles from home, red tyre pressure warning light comes on while I’m doing 70mph, but can tell there’s no serious pressure imbalance. Drove on to destination, visually checked tyres, re-set light, did shopping, drove to BMW dealer from where we bought the car and had arranged the extended warranty, which was on the way home. “Very busy at the moment, but we’ll look at it asap, can’t tell you how long it’ll take, but will definitely finish it by 5pm (it was 2:30 then). We’ll arrange a taxi free of charge into Harrogate and will call you when it’s done, and arrange a taxi for you back. There’ll be no charge.” So far so good. Late lunch at Betty’s, a definite plus.

Back to BMW at 5. “Did all the diagnostics, no problem with the sensors or the on-board computer. How did you re-set the light?” “By holding down the button: red light changes to orange, then goes off.” “Ah… that’s not how to do it, there’s a specific sequence [which the mechanic kindly demonstrates]. Any further problems, please don’t hesitate to come back.” Drive away with no charge.

So, apart from the light coming on after having a new tyre (did the system know a wheel had been off?), it seems like the problem was a failure to RTFM (Read The F’ing Manual) by both Kwik Fit and me, so I was somewhat embarrassed. On the other had, BMW mechanic did admit that the re-set sequence was buried deep in the instruction manual (anyone actually read one?).

So: Pissed off because:
• BMW seem to make it difficult to have a tyre replaced by anyone other than them.
• The “normal” (is it normal?) method of re-setting the tyre pressue warning light of holding it down the related buttion till the light goes off is, in fact, not a method of re-setting it, despite that doing so causes the light to go out. You have to dig deep into the Instruction Manual to find out how, and go through a more convoluted procedure.
• I still don’t know what effect holding down the button till the light goes off has, other than just causing the light to go off – it it doesn’t re-set the function, what the **** does it do?
• Kwif Fit didn’t know the correct procedure, or did but couldn’t be arsed to follow it.
• A new tyre costs £159.
• I lost about a day of my holiday sorting out a ****ing puncture.
• I felt embarrassed by not knowing how to re-set the warning light (although the people at BMW were very nice about it and didn’t make me feel like a prat).

Smiling, coz:
• I failed to RTFM but BMW solved (touch wood) the problem foc
• I got the problem fixed while I was home, rather than having to sort it out from a distance
• We had lunch at Betty’s.

Give me a Capri on which I can change a head gasket in 60 minutes flat…
Old Apr 1st 2016, 11:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Don’t know whether this should be in Made Me Smile or Pissed Me Off, coz dollops of both.

Only car is the wife’s (a BMW).
That's the problem, right there.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 2:38 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Tibetan Buddhist monk in front of me in the convenience store this morning; he bought a pack of cigarettes and a lottery ticket.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 7:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
That's the problem, right there.
Probably right. Must get one for the girlfriend, too.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

My dog barking at light aircraft that 'buzz' our house some weekends whilst teaching people to fly.she really believes she 'see's them off' Lots of delighted tail wagging when they drop off the hill and head for the coast.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 5:32 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

The end of the UK tax year
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

My soon to be grandbaby is going to be born on April 15th ( scheduled c-section)

Daughter now saying they will name her Iris

( think about it...April 15th, Tax Day...IRS)
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
My soon to be grandbaby is going to be born on April 15th ( scheduled c-section)

Daughter now saying they will name her Iris

( think about it...April 15th, Tax Day...IRS)
That's a lovely name. Not long now SM.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post

Home on leave. Only car is the wife’s (a BMW). Off to see my mother one afternoon, notice what I thought was a stone in the tyre tread, but on closer inspection realised it was a nailed cable clip, with the nail straight into the tyre. Off to Kwik Fit in town; new tyre coz the nail was near the edge between the tread part and the side wall, so £159 the poorer but at least it happened while I was home, and they had a replacement tyre in stock. Plus and minus for that one.

100 yards from Kwik Fit, tyre warning light comes on (red, not the first-stage yellow). Back to Kwik Fit – “sorry mate, forgot to reset it” (even though the light hadn’t been on before). Fixed (or so I thought).
Next day (yesterday), 20 miles from home, red tyre pressure warning light comes on, but I could feel that there was no substantial inblanance in the tyre pressures. Back to Kwik Fit: tyre pressures ok, re-set light again, said they’d try to arrange a “colleague” with plug-in diagnostics to find out what was going on. In the meantime I rang BMW, with whom we have an extended warranty: “Can’t tell if the problem is covered by the warranty, can only find that out by doing some diagnostics which would be free of charge if the problem is covered, but £105 per hour if not, can’t tell how long the diagnostics will take till we do them… would you like to make an appointment?” Not at the moment, thanks. Kwik Fit couldn’t get in touch with the diagnostics mate, said they’d call later in the day; they didn’t. Overall on the minus side, ‘cept didn’t shell out any loot.

Today. 40 miles from home, red tyre pressure warning light comes on while I’m doing 70mph, but can tell there’s no serious pressure imbalance. Drove on to destination, visually checked tyres, re-set light, did shopping, drove to BMW dealer from where we bought the car and had arranged the extended warranty, which was on the way home. “Very busy at the moment, but we’ll look at it asap, can’t tell you how long it’ll take, but will definitely finish it by 5pm (it was 2:30 then). We’ll arrange a taxi free of charge into Harrogate and will call you when it’s done, and arrange a taxi for you back. There’ll be no charge.” So far so good. Late lunch at Betty’s, a definite plus.

Back to BMW at 5. “Did all the diagnostics, no problem with the sensors or the on-board computer. How did you re-set the light?” “By holding down the button: red light changes to orange, then goes off.” “Ah… that’s not how to do it, there’s a specific sequence [which the mechanic kindly demonstrates]. Any further problems, please don’t hesitate to come back.” Drive away with no charge.

So, apart from the light coming on after having a new tyre (did the system know a wheel had been off?), it seems like the problem was a failure to RTFM (Read The F’ing Manual) by both Kwik Fit and me, so I was somewhat embarrassed. On the other had, BMW mechanic did admit that the re-set sequence was buried deep in the instruction manual (anyone actually read one?).

So: Pissed off because:
• BMW seem to make it difficult to have a tyre replaced by anyone other than them.
• The “normal” (is it normal?) method of re-setting the tyre pressue warning light of holding it down the related buttion till the light goes off is, in fact, not a method of re-setting it, despite that doing so causes the light to go out. You have to dig deep into the Instruction Manual to find out how, and go through a more convoluted procedure.
• I still don’t know what effect holding down the button till the light goes off has, other than just causing the light to go off – it it doesn’t re-set the function, what the **** does it do?
• Kwif Fit didn’t know the correct procedure, or did but couldn’t be arsed to follow it.
• A new tyre costs £159.
• I lost about a day of my holiday sorting out a ****ing puncture.
• I felt embarrassed by not knowing how to re-set the warning light (although the people at BMW were very nice about it and didn’t make me feel like a prat).

Smiling, coz:
• I failed to RTFM but BMW solved (touch wood) the problem foc
• I got the problem fixed while I was home, rather than having to sort it out from a distance
• We had lunch at Betty’s.

Give me a Capri on which I can change a head gasket in 60 minutes flat…

And there you have the Apple vs Android issue in a nutshell....

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is a way to resign from your job, and stick two fingers up at it.

Flight Attendant Deploys Emergency Slide On Runway, Casually Saunters Away From Her Job Forever

The company says 'she's no longer working for us'

Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:59 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
[/B]

And there you have the Apple vs Android issue in a nutshell....

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Fair comment
Old Apr 6th 2016, 9:41 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
That's a lovely name. Not long now SM.
It is a rather fabulous name (it's First Born's name, too). No tax links here, though. Mine is actually named aftr the Greek godess of rainbows, rather than the flower.

Hope the birth goes smoothly, SM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.