Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop

Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop

Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop

Am thinking of moving so having a general sort out.As someone who has had multiple homes in many locations I am amazed at what I have accumulated since my last move,although I was "gifted"some bits when my daughter went back to UK & couldn't refuse such "largess".I do still have a working model which plays those(now) obsolete videos but I thought I would keep a few favourities & take the rest to a local charity shop.There was a look of amusement but I was told that there were people who still had such an ancient machine.Which has made me have a second look at what I no longer want to keep.I have 2 unused,never opened Step Counters which I remember buying years ago in an English Sports shop,a huge torch that I don't recall buying but looks like it was designed for cave exploration under the Russian perma frost,a gadget that I think is a knife sharpener for which I have no use thankfully as it may be deemed anti-social,an old book entitled"Secret France" which appears to describe all the places we Brits.have relocated to since the 1990's,& of course my daughter's leftovers,the pretty little jam pots,honey pots & what about the 4 little prawn cocktail dishes.There is also the Scottish cake server which ,I suppose,could be used to hand out a small portion of a pizza take away,& a cheese shaver,at least I think it is although have never used it to my knowledge,it could equally be for shaving hairs from gooseberries,& the butter curler which I am familiar with.In the old days no tea in Scotland would be served without the tea bread being accompanied with a dish of little butter curls,but nowadays it's the plastic tub of Flora which is so much healthier.This could also be quite a challenge for the recycling bins.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 4:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you are embarrassed to take to the charity shop

Originally Posted by dougal03 View Post
Am thinking of moving so having a general sort out.As someone who has had multiple homes in many locations I am amazed at what I have accumulated since my last move,although I was "gifted"some bits when my daughter went back to UK & couldn't refuse such "largess".I do still have a working model which plays those(now) obsolete videos but I thought I would keep a few favourities & take the rest to a local charity shop.There was a look of amusement but I was told that there were people who still had such an ancient machine.Which has made me have a second look at what I no longer want to keep.I have 2 unused,never opened Step Counters which I remember buying years ago in an English Sports shop,a huge torch that I don't recall buying but looks like it was designed for cave exploration under the Russian perma frost,a gadget that I think is a knife sharpener for which I have no use thankfully as it may be deemed anti-social,an old book entitled"Secret France" which appears to describe all the places we Brits.have relocated to since the 1990's,& of course my daughter's leftovers,the pretty little jam pots,honey pots & what about the 4 little prawn cocktail dishes.There is also the Scottish cake server which ,I suppose,could be used to hand out a small portion of a pizza take away,& a cheese shaver,at least I think it is although have never used it to my knowledge,it could equally be for shaving hairs from gooseberries,& the butter curler which I am familiar with.In the old days no tea in Scotland would be served without the tea bread being accompanied with a dish of little butter curls,but nowadays it's the plastic tub of Flora which is so much healthier.This could also be quite a challenge for the recycling bins.

Charity shops don't really look that carefully anyway.

Last week my OH picked up a glass specially designed for toasts that dates to about 1750-1760 at the local charity shop - for 99 cents Those things sell for $200-$400 at auctions So if you've got any of those, let me know...
Old Jul 6th 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously charity shops in your neck of the woods are less concerned,perhaps just grateful for all offerings.Can't help you with your request for valuable glassware.However I do have 4 nice prawn cocktail dishes in a stylish shade of dark green???
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:03 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

My Mother
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember around mid 200s, charity shops near us politely asked people NOT to leave Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" as their shelves were already groaning under multiple copies (which nobody was at all interested in buying)
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 View Post
I remember around mid 200s, charity shops near us politely asked people NOT to leave Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" as their shelves were already groaning under multiple copies (which nobody was at all interested in buying)

Yeah, those were more of a recycling opportunity than a reading opportunity.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03 View Post
What a great post - I'm still laughing at the gadget that is either a cheese shaver or a gooseberry hair shaver
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:14 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering why the huge torch.

What sort of shape is it?
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Take it in and they'll sort it out.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:51 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
My Mother

Got some family members as well ... if only

Old Jul 7th 2018, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I take a lot of stuff to Goodwill. Only if they are working. If they are dirty , I clean it up first. If they need repair I either repair it or if it I can't then I don't donate cause I find it embarrassing to donate an item that isn't working.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I scored a once in a lifetime find at a Goodwill in Portland a few weeks back. A Tumi Alpha 2 laptop bag, in black leather, absolutely brand new, still with the tags on it. It is not a knock-off as I registered it with Tumi the next day (i.e. serial number accepted). I paid $20 for a bag that lists for $675. What a deal. On the other end of he spectrum, Goodwill outlets are one step away from Hell. I've seen used toilet brushes, cat litter boxes with turds still in there, skiddy underpants, used car oil filters and once a pink dildo. Just what are some people thinking?
Old Jul 7th 2018, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I take a lot of stuff to Goodwill. Only if they are working. If they are dirty , I clean it up first. If they need repair I either repair it or if it I can't then I don't donate cause I find it embarrassing to donate an item that isn't working.
I am the same, I only take working items to GW. It's amazing how many people will drop off completely useless dead crap. What is the point?
Old Jul 7th 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by TimFountain View Post
I scored a once in a lifetime find at a Goodwill in Portland a few weeks back. A Tumi Alpha 2 laptop bag, in black leather, absolutely brand new, still with the tags on it. It is not a knock-off as I registered it with Tumi the next day (i.e. serial number accepted). I paid $20 for a bag that lists for $675. What a deal. On the other end of he spectrum, Goodwill outlets are one step away from Hell. I've seen used toilet brushes, cat litter boxes with turds still in there, skiddy underpants, used car oil filters and once a pink dildo. Just what are some people thinking?

My recent Goodwill scores - the 18th century glass mentioned above, 99c; two sterling silver baby bristle brushes dating from 1912 and 1913 respectively, $1.99 the pair; an early 19th century Aynsley platter, $2.99; a new Filson men's shirt, $5.99; a Stella McCartney ski jacket, $9.99; a new North Face 3-season sleeping bag, $4.99. There has been more, too.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 7:46 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
My recent Goodwill scores - the 18th century glass mentioned above, 99c; two sterling silver baby bristle brushes dating from 1912 and 1913 respectively, $1.99 the pair; an early 19th century Aynsley platter, $2.99; a new Filson men's shirt, $5.99; a Stella McCartney ski jacket, $9.99; a new North Face 3-season sleeping bag, $4.99. There has been more, too.
I picked up a nice set of Jane Austen's novels at an Oxfam shop, £4.99. The cheapest I've seen that particular edition listed at elsewhere is £1,500.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.