Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

SLingbox UK - up and running

SLingbox UK - up and running

Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:57 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
OK - once more and slowly for the thick girl at the back of the class please.

I need to find someone here with Sky+ and give them a slingbox. They hook that up to their Sky+ box and their PC or is it the phoneline? Then I sit in Houston watching Home & Away, Neighbours etc on my PC which has broadband. Am I getting it so far?

But what if my special someone here in UK wants to watch something else. Can I override their decision to watch football, rugby, cricket etc with my (obviously) more important Aussie soap addiction? - Who get's first dibs. And if I can use the slingbox to record something on the Sky+ can they delete it etc.

Sorry...I just don't get it and quite honestly theres not point in asking OH as he can't even get to grips with Sky+.
I have a Slingbox so I know what you need. Here it is in list form.

1.) Give Slingbox to UK friend.
2.) Have UK friend get an extra Sky converter box. (this box will solely be controlled by you)
3.) Have your friend get a cable splitter.
4.) Split the cable coming out of the wall.
5.) Have one cable go to your friends converter box.
6.) Have other cable go to YOUR converter box.
7.) Your friend will then connect YOUR converter box to the SlingBox device.
8.) The Sling device will end up having these items connected to it.
a.) YOUR converter box
b.) network cable leading to their broadband router
c.) infra-red device used to control YOUR converter box
d.) power cord
9.) On your computer you will need to install the SlingBox player software and configure it using the Finder. Follow the instructions from there. If you need help, contact me.

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
I have a Slingbox so I know what you need. Here it is in list form.

1.) Give Slingbox to UK friend.
2.) Have UK friend get an extra Sky converter box. (this box will solely be controlled by you)
3.) Have your friend get a cable splitter.
4.) Split the cable coming out of the wall.
5.) Have one cable go to your friends converter box.
6.) Have other cable go to YOUR converter box.
7.) Your friend will then connect YOUR converter box to the SlingBox device.
8.) The Sling device will end up having these items connected to it.
a.) YOUR converter box
b.) network cable leading to their broadband router
c.) infra-red device used to control YOUR converter box
d.) power cord
9.) On your computer you will need to install the SlingBox player software and configure it using the Finder. Follow the instructions from there. If you need help, contact me.

I hope this helps.
This is exactly what I've been wanting to know!

I have a couple more questions. If the UK person already has a Sky+ box that's using two signals coming in from the dish, can they install another Sky+ box that also requires two signals, or do they need another dish?

And at my end, can I only watch TV on a computer, or can I feed it to a TV, and if so how?

I am getting so excited at the thought of UK television again...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:14 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins View Post
This is exactly what I've been wanting to know!

I have a couple more questions. If the UK person already has a Sky+ box that's using two signals coming in from the dish, can they install another Sky+ box that also requires two signals, or do they need another dish?

And at my end, can I only watch TV on a computer, or can I feed it to a TV, and if so how?

I am getting so excited at the thought of UK television again...
They will need to purchase two cable splitters. They need to attach one cable splitter to one cable coming in from the dish and the other splitter on the second cable coming in from the dish. This will allow them to use two converter boxes using that single cable feed. I have a picture of what it looks like below so you can send it to your friend for reference.

Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

keithedge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there you guys

I am in the Uk and would be very interested in doing a slingbox exchange with someone in the US. I set you up over here, you set me up over there. I have looked into the Us slingbox hosting companies but they are quite pricey, with the set up fee and monthly subscription to the satellite channels. I have Setanta sports package which shows UK premier league footy, Plenty of Rugby and gaelic sports, Dutch and French eiredivise and championat live footy, has a dedicated Horse racin g channel with live UK and french racing on daily and much more....you would obviously have access to bbc, itv, ch4 etc i also have freeview which has all the bbc and terrestrial channels +1 etc so if you miss anything you can watch an hour later, and loads of other free channels. No sky though as ive cancelled as the £40 per month cost was too much.

I am only really interested in recieving The Golf Channel which shows live USPGA tour golf and i believe is broadcst on Directv, and Dish networks over there. I will be totally honest and say that although i recieve this coverage on setanta, it is about 1.5 minutes behind US live, and i need live as i am looking at involved in gambling on USPGA so live pics are essential.

I would also like to know from any experienced slingbox users if there is any delay in the relay of the pictures from US to Uk or vice versa, and if so how long is the delay?

I may need a bit of advice on set up but i can see from the posts on here plenty are ready to assist.

Only genuine replies please.

Many thanks

Keith
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:36 am
Just Joined

kr1stof is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Hello KEITH

I am interested in your exchange idea.I think I have what you need and vice versa.If you haven't yet got a partner yet please let me know.

kr1stof.

I am in the Uk and would be very interested in doing a slingbox exchange with someone in the US. I set you up over here, you set me up over there. I have looked into the Us slingbox hosting companies but they are quite pricey, with the set up fee and monthly subscription to the satellite channels. I have Setanta sports package which shows UK premier league footy, Plenty of Rugby and gaelic sports, Dutch and French eiredivise and championat live footy, has a dedicated Horse racin g channel with live UK and french racing on daily and much more....you would obviously have access to bbc, itv, ch4 etc i also have freeview which has all the bbc and terrestrial channels +1 etc so if you miss anything you can watch an hour later, and loads of other free channels. No sky though as ive cancelled as the £40 per month cost was too much.

I am only really interested in recieving The Golf Channel which shows live USPGA tour golf and i believe is broadcst on Directv, and Dish networks over there. I will be totally honest and say that although i recieve this coverage on setanta, it is about 1.5 minutes behind US live, and i need live as i am looking at involved in gambling on USPGA so live pics are essential.

I would also like to know from any experienced slingbox users if there is any delay in the relay of the pictures from US to Uk or vice versa, and if so how long is the delay?

I may need a bit of advice on set up but i can see from the posts on here plenty are ready to assist.

Only genuine replies please.

Many thanks

Keith[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I have read all the pages and am still unsure of what's required

If I convince my parents to have 2 sky + boxes installed and pay their subscription costs, including the extra £10 per month for multiroom, what do I do next.

Have I understood correctly that the slingbox would connect in to the second Sky + box and then it is good to go once the software is installed, or is it more complicated than this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:39 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

They will need an internet connection as well (and a hub/network cable).

Plug that into a sling box. Plug the sling box into the sky box, conenct the IR (infrared) and that's it.. You can watch/control the sky box from any PC you isntall the slingplayer on. (or for $30, a mobile device too.

I have 2 and they work like a charm..
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

Thanks franc11s.

They have a broadband connection - what do you mean by a hub/network cable?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but does the Sky + box need to be connected to the TV - they will not be using this box, so there is no need for the TV - it will also mean I can place the Sky + box in the same room as the broadband router.

Also, does my PC need to be configured with the slingbox at my parents house before I leave, or is it just a case of putting in a code once I arrive in the states?

Thanksk again
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:31 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by wokster View Post
Thanks franc11s.

They have a broadband connection - what do you mean by a hub/network cable?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but does the Sky + box need to be connected to the TV - they will not be using this box, so there is no need for the TV - it will also mean I can place the Sky + box in the same room as the broadband router.

Also, does my PC need to be configured with the slingbox at my parents house before I leave, or is it just a case of putting in a code once I arrive in the states?

Thanksk again
Read my post above. It should explain everything. Your parents will need a router in order to split up the broadband signal coming through the house. You can configure your Slingbox anywhere as long as you have the 'finder' code. You will need to assist your parents in configuring the router as well so that the Slingbox signal will pass through beyond the firewall to the rest of the world.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/A...5?cidp=Froogle

My apologies ugacrew, I did read your post above, but I am still confused

I have attached a link above, would this be suitable for a router, if so does the slingbox plug in to this and the sky + box?

Also, will this work without a tv?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:40 pm
Riding on silver wings

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/A...5?cidp=Froogle

My apologies ugacrew, I did read your post above, but I am still confused

I have attached a link above, would this be suitable for a router, if so does the slingbox plug in to this and the sky + box?

Also, will this work without a tv?
That looks like it will work. BTW, read the manual that I uploaded from SlingBox's website. It will tell you how to connect the devices. Just note that you will not need to connect the second Skybox to a TV.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Slingbox_PRO_QSG.pdf (5.95 MB, 121 views)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks ugacrew you are a star

Just two more questions, then I'll promise I'll leave you alone

If I get a descent upload speed in Houston will the picture quality be of good quality?

If I connect me laptop to my TV will the picture be of good quality?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:28 pm
Riding on silver wings

Thanks ugacrew you are a star

Just two more questions, then I'll promise I'll leave you alone

If I get a descent upload speed in Houston will the picture quality be of good quality?

If I connect me laptop to my TV will the picture be of good quality?
Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. To answer your's its all about Download instead of Upload. Your main concern is Upload wherever you have the Slingbox installed. Download is your main concern wherever you are viewing the content. I myself have cable and on average have more than 1.0mbps upload speed. I can view my Sing anywhere with no problem. I've been more than 1K miles away and didn't have any major problems. If your parents have broadband there shouldn't be an issue.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

My Parents were given a router when they signed up to their ISP's broadband service.

I have included a link below to ask if this would suffice when setting up the slingbox?

http://www.pipex.co.uk/downloads/ST585_UserGuide.pdf
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:00 pm
Riding on silver wings

My Parents were given a router when they signed up to their ISP's broadband service.

I have included a link below to ask if this would suffice when setting up the slingbox?

http://www.pipex.co.uk/downloads/ST585_UserGuide.pdf
Ask them how many ports or 'holes' they have on the device to plug in network cables. It's highly recommended that you have your Sling hardwired. Wireless is not recommended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.