Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

SLingbox UK - up and running

SLingbox UK - up and running

Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
Does anyone have any idea if the US Slingbox works in the UK or will he have to buy a UK box from somewhere like Currys or Comet? (For example is it likely to blow up due to the different voltage?). We're wondering if someone has already taken one over the Pond or not.
I think it's easier to buy one there, don't know if the US one could handle a PAL signal etc...

and good lucks to your other half on the marathon
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are people using NTSC Slingboxes in PAL countries (most often with convertors), but Bob is right that it is probably worth the lack of headaches to get something 'native' for the UK and use it.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/...sion-SlingBox/
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
There are people using NTSC Slingboxes in PAL countries (most often with convertors), but Bob is right that it is probably worth the lack of headaches to get something 'native' for the UK and use it.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/...sion-SlingBox/
cheaper too, digital convertors get expensive, and just not worth the hassle...plus you get warrenty support if it goes tits up in the country you brought the box in.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:11 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: SLingbox UK - up and running

Thanks for your opinions.

By the way, I was at home early this evening and switched the telly on and it was showing 'The Simpsons' on Fox TV. I changed to NBC to watch the news and it kept reverting back to 'The Simpsons'.

I've never really got the hang of the TIVO controls and assumed that my son had set it to record 'The Simpsons'. I went to prepare supper instead.

About an hour later I was on the laptop talking to my husband on Skype (and could see him on the webcam). He complained to me that he was trying to watch 'The Simpsons' and I was interrupting it so he kept seeing the news reports instead....

.....he had checked into his hotel at Canary Wharf in London this evening and was watching "The Simpsons" via our house in New Jersey via the Slingbox! He said it was working really well and the picture and sound quality on his laptop was excellent.

Hopefully he will now go and get a UK Slingbox over the weekend and with a bit of grovelling will try and persuade his twin brother to install it at his house so we can watch all the UK TV programmes in real time over here in the US...
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:07 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how I would love to watch a UK slingbox!

UKNova recently disallowed music shows like Jools and TOTP (there was already a very stringent policy against most music shows).
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:03 am
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about UKNova. Their mods really are a bunch of pompous asses. The whole place is really tetchy I stopped using it a while ago, not because I got banned( I didnt) but because I got sick of them changing the rules every week and because of their attitude.
Demonoid works just fine even if it is much slower.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Oh how I would love to watch a UK slingbox!

UKNova recently disallowed music shows like Jools and TOTP (there was already a very stringent policy against most music shows).
you can find the stuff on other torrent sites, mininova sometimes has it...
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:58 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, the UK Sling box is wicked. I dont' have to pay anything but I would if I had to. It IS worth paying someone over the there to pay the cost for NTL or Sky to get you your own box. Especially with built in DVR. You can set it to record and watch anything whenever YOU want.

I watched the first 30 mins of the semi-final soccer yesterday on SKY over the Sling Box because the muppets at COMCAST forgot to turn on the switch.

I do pay 3 quid and 50 pence to get SKY SPorts to my Niece as that's what I watch when I want to see a game that FOX Sports doesn't show.

Also, the Spurs / Wigan game today wasn't even playing in the USA but I got to watch it Live
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:04 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

There is another benefit of a US Slingbox too. You are not tied to the TV location to watch it. I have a Comcast DVR and can watch any channel on my laptop anywhere in the house. The quality is a goods as any TV since it uses much higher bandwidth available in your local network.

With the DVR built in, I can pause live TV or a movie in the basement and continue watching it in bed after I've cleaned my teeth
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
Thanks for your opinions.

By the way, I was at home early this evening and switched the telly on and it was showing 'The Simpsons' on Fox TV. I changed to NBC to watch the news and it kept reverting back to 'The Simpsons'.

I've never really got the hang of the TIVO controls and assumed that my son had set it to record 'The Simpsons'. I went to prepare supper instead.

About an hour later I was on the laptop talking to my husband on Skype (and could see him on the webcam). He complained to me that he was trying to watch 'The Simpsons' and I was interrupting it so he kept seeing the news reports instead....

.....he had checked into his hotel at Canary Wharf in London this evening and was watching "The Simpsons" via our house in New Jersey via the Slingbox! He said it was working really well and the picture and sound quality on his laptop was excellent.

Hopefully he will now go and get a UK Slingbox over the weekend and with a bit of grovelling will try and persuade his twin brother to install it at his house so we can watch all the UK TV programmes in real time over here in the US...
that's brilliant. thanks for the giggle!
Old May 13th 2007, 12:58 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'd appreciate an invite to demonoid if anyone has one.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this website.

http://www.liveuktv.com/Sample-Stream.asp

What do you think? The sample is excellent. It is pricey though. It is $45 a month!
Old May 15th 2007, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb View Post
Check out this website.

http://www.liveuktv.com/Sample-Stream.asp

What do you think? The sample is excellent. It is pricey though. It is $45 a month!
Is it legal?
Old May 15th 2007, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Is it legal?
I don't know. I just found it. Maybe someone here has used this??
Old May 15th 2007, 2:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Is it legal?
probably not as they are re-broadcasting...and policy says no refunds once you've paid for a stream, so they could well cut and run on you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.