Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Phone calls to the UK

Phone calls to the UK

Old Jun 6th 2020, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone calls to the UK

I've been using Vonage VOIP for calling the UK, about $30/mo unlimited calls. My wife spends many hours talking to family.
Lately Vonage has been frequently dropping calls during a conversation. I'm looking a new VOIP service.
I'm sure many of you call the UK regularly, any suggestion as to the best options out there for calling family in the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 9:07 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone calls to the UK

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
I've been using Vonage VOIP for calling the UK, about $30/mo unlimited calls. My wife spends many hours talking to family.
Lately Vonage has been frequently dropping calls during a conversation. I'm looking a new VOIP service.
I'm sure many of you call the UK regularly, any suggestion as to the best options out there for calling family in the UK.
Not much use to you but I use Vonage as well and have good service. I have had them for years and when we did have dropped calls I talked to them about it. They sent me a new box.

Old Jun 6th 2020, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Not much use to you but I use Vonage as well and have good service. I have had them for years and when we did have dropped calls I talked to them about it. They sent me a new box.
I talked to them and was my upload speed was too slow and to call my internet provider "comcast" not much help I'm afraid.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 11:45 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I speak to SWMBO and other friends using Whatsapp or Viber from my Android phone...... both "free", but use your WiFi allowance - I have unlimited fibre.

I spend less than £10 every 2 months on actual phone calls, but have a landline (due to fibre) and a mobile for others to call me.... as well as the WiFi apps.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 3:04 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Not much use to you but I use Vonage as well and have good service. I have had them for years ....
Similar here, good quality, and no dropped calls, so I haven't needed a new box.

If it means anything, until recently the Vonage device was connected to a Spectrum 60Mbit cable service, and a couple of months ago the cable connection was upgraded to a 200Mbit nominal service, which is actually operating at around 240Mbit.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Similar here, good quality, and no dropped calls, so I haven't needed a new box.

If it means anything, until recently the Vonage device was connected to a Spectrum 60Mbit cable service, and a couple of months ago the cable connection was upgraded to a 200Mbit nominal service, which is actually operating at around 240Mbit.
According to the person from Vonage chat support. the ratio of download to upload internet speed should be 3:1, which my upload is nowhere near that. 325 mps to 8mps.
Something does add up there?
Basically they told me go talk to Xfinity my cable company.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 7:36 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

According to the person from Vonage chat support. the ratio of download to upload internet speed should be 3:1, which my upload is nowhere near that. 325 mps to 8mps.
Something does add up there?
Basically they told me go talk to Xfinity my cable company.
I am not sure about the significance of the ratio, but upload speed is commonly a small fraction of download speed, because while you need high download capacity for streaming video and interactive gaming, most people have no need to upload vast amounts of data quickly. Given the numbers you quoted, I would be much more concerned about the .325Mbit uploads than the ration of download to upload speeds.

If I remember correctly we only have about 20Mbit upload compared to 240Mbit download (actual measured speeds).

So, short answer, your upload speed, which is likely irrevocably linked to your download speed, is likely to be causing your problem, and if that is the case, switching to another VoIP service is unlikely to solve your problem with poor sound quality and dropped calls. .... So you might need to upgrade to more than 8Mbit - I presume that that is ADSL/ phone line linked service as that is extraordinarily slow for cable - 60Mbit service is entry level for Spectrum, and in fact we pay less for the upgraded "200Mbit" service than we did for 60Mbit.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not sure about the significance of the ratio, but upload speed is commonly a small fraction of download speed, because while you need high download capacity for streaming video and interactive gaming, most people have no need to upload vast amounts of data quickly. Given the numbers you quoted, I would be much more concerned about the .325Mbit uploads than the ration of download to upload speeds.

If I remember correctly we only have about 20Mbit upload compared to 240Mbit download (actual measured speeds).

So, short answer, your upload speed, which is likely irrevocably linked to your download speed, is likely to be causing your problem, and if that is the case, switching to another VoIP service is unlikely to solve your problem with poor sound quality and dropped calls. .... So you might need to upgrade to more than 8Mbit - I presume that that is ADSL/ phone line linked service as that is extraordinarily slow for cable - 60Mbit service is entry level for Spectrum, and in fact we pay less for the upgraded "200Mbit" service than we did for 60Mbit.
Sorry there was a typo there .325mps should be 325mps no decimal point. Xfinity web site is very user unfriendly, They want to sell all kinds of bundled packages. Unfortunately there aren't a lot choices locally.
Thanks for the response.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:32 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Sorry there was a typo there .325mps should be 325mps no decimal point. Xfinity web site is very user unfriendly, They want to sell all kinds of bundled packages. Unfortunately there aren't a lot choices locally.
Thanks for the response.
OK, so you're getting 8Mbit upload. .... Have you measured it to see if you're actually getting that? Because the problem you're getting with Vonage sounds like an upload speed problem (325Mbit download should be vastly more than adequate even if someone else in your home is streaming a movie, or gaming, and I would have thought that 8Mbit should be sufficient. ... Unless there is another user(s) in the house who is using up part of the 8Mbit.

Didn't you say you had one of your grandsons living with you? I don't suppose he's a gamer, is he?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 7th 2020 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, so you're getting 8Mbit upload. .... Have you measured it to see if you're actually getting that? Because the problem you're getting with Vonage sounds like an upload speed problem (325Mbit download should be vastly more than adequate even if someone else in your home is streaming a movie, or gaming, and I would have thought that 8Mbit should be sufficient. ... Unless there is another user(s) in the house who is using up part of the 8Mbit.

Didn't you say you had one of your grandsons living with you? I don't suppose he's a gamer, is he?
He is, or was but he no longer has any of whatever stuff it is you need anymore.

Last edited by johnwoo; Jun 7th 2020 at 9:47 pm.