British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Mouse gone or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/mouse-gone-not-663142/)

scankaroo Apr 8th 2010 2:08 pm

Mouse gone or not

I've been on vacation on/off the past 3 weeks and at the weekend was rocking my 9 month old son to sleep at around 2am. I swore I heard dust or dirt hitting my bedroom window and thought nothing of it, continued rocking, got my son to sleep and viola, got to sleep myself.

Anyway, 2 days later I'm up in my loft storing stuff away and took a glance at a tray of poison I always leave full and up there. It was empty! I quickly realised that, that dust on my window wasn't dust, but very likely a mouse running up the inside of my wall, probably to the loft above me.

Anyway, that was 6 days ago - the discovery of the empty tray, so immediately I filled it again, and put another tray up there too, to poison the things out if they were still there. Anyway, up till today, them trays haven't been touched so I've been thinking, they're gone however last night around 2am I swore I heard noises under my bedroom floor, likely scurrying and what I'd best describe as someone doing a single tap on my plumbing pipes now and again.

To be fair though, my 9 month old son hasn't been well of late where he is actually getting a low temperature rather than a fever. So whilst doing the obvious of wrapping him up well, taking doctor's advice, etc.. I've had my heating set a bit higher at night to keep him warm.

I'm hoping that them noises and what I think was scurrying was the heating cooling down. Mental man that I am, when my son woke at 2.15am, I asked my wife to take him downstairs for half an hour. I uprouted my bedroom, prising up 3 small floorboards with a hammer and I put traps loaded with chocolate, and poison in there. These are the paths I think the mice are taking, if infact there are mice.

Anyway, 3am, bedroom is back to norm, my wife and son return to bed. I switch the heating of completely rest of night and to be fair I didn't really hear much later that night. I'm hoping that my mind was playing tricks with me and it wasn't a case of the mice being scared of by hammering and movement by me.

Going back to the two trays being untouched the last 6 days I'm hoping that means the mice are gone. I moved their location this morning to other parts of the loft just incase they are keeping to tried and trusted pathways.

What are people's gut feelings about the two untouched trays? My house isn't that big, it's an end terrace here in North West England.

I think this evening will be interesting if there are a few dead in the traps or the poison has been disturbed.

Englishtart Apr 8th 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Mouse gone or not

Dead mice have a very distinct smell:eek: You will find out pretty soon if you have dead ones in your attic or walls!;)

We put poison in our garage, usually around this time of year, we always know when there is a dead one in there, it's a PITA finding them, but that smell is ****** horrible, so they have to be found!:frown:

another bloody yank Apr 8th 2010 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by scankaroo (Post 8481512)
What are people's gut feelings .

My gut feeling is that you're some kind of nut for prying up your floorboards to catch a mouse and then using that experience as material for your first post on an internet forum.

Englishtart Apr 8th 2010 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8481574)
My gut feeling is that you're some kind of nut for prying up your floorboards to catch a mouse and then using that experience as material for your first post on an internet forum.

:rofl:

Uncle Ebenezer Apr 8th 2010 2:30 pm

Who was that "Joe" twerp, who was posting a week or two back? My deja-vu gland is tingling.

AmerLisa Apr 8th 2010 2:31 pm

What? You're not supposed to pry up your floorboards at 3am? :blink:

Englishtart Apr 8th 2010 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8481590)

Only to hide dead bodies;)

another bloody yank Apr 8th 2010 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8481590)

It's a mouse, not a komodo dragon FFS. This fellow is acting as though the mouse is going to burst out of the wall plaster and launch itself at his neck as he's sleeping.

To the OP, put the bait wherever you want, the mouse will find it. No need to demolish the house to serve it to him.

On second thought, do you own a shotgun?

cindyabs Apr 8th 2010 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8481612)
Only to hide dead bodies;)

No, no, no backyards work better as HS can attest!

Leslie Apr 8th 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8481636)
It's a mouse, not a komodo dragon FFS. This fellow is acting as though the mouse is going to burst out of the wall plaster and launch itself at his neck as he's sleeping.

To the OP, put the bait wherever you want, the mouse will find it. No need to demolish the house to serve it to him.

On second thought, do you own a shotgun?

You said "fellow". :lol:

another bloody yank Apr 8th 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8481686)
You said "fellow". :lol:

When I thought of the OP, that's the word that popped into my head. I went with it. ;)

Englishtart Apr 8th 2010 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8481645)
No, no, no backyards work better as HS can attest!

oh yeah :o

Uncle Ebenezer Apr 8th 2010 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 8481587)
Who was that "Joe" twerp, who was posting a week or two back? My deja-vu gland is tingling.

Justjoe - this guy:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=20

Englishtart Apr 8th 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 8481704)

hmmmm ya think?

AmerLisa Apr 8th 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8481636)

Well I never! Everyone knows you're supposed to be afraid of things that go bump in the night....:frown: Maybe the mouse is on steroids and is as big as a komodo dragon? Honestly, have you no imagination!?! :rolleyes: