Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Jun 11th 2021, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health II

Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
J can you earn a certain amount and still get your government payments? Here fast food is paying around $10 per hour and is almost all part time. Probably same for the many mini-marts.
Yes, BC has earning exemptions for people on disability, it varies from 15,000 to 30,000 a year exempt before disability benefits are cut, depending on family composition and status, I think ours is $18,000 and some change.

So working part-time earning 18,000+ disability would be about 40,000 a year.

$10/hr here is illegal so wont find $10/hr jobs, min wage is $15.20, so I believe if I did the math right, I could work 22.3 hours a week without disability being cut, once over the earnings exemption, they deduct disability dollar for dollar.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 11th 2021 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Every pharmacy and every hospital gets a daily drug delivery from their wholesaler. This service is done by small contract companies with small vans. Nursing homes get delivery’s every two or three days from pharmacies that contract to nursing homes, many of which have no retail function. Security companies provide guards to hundreds of businesses. All of these jobs have need for partime workers and want to hire your age group. There must be countless other possibilities. Unless Canada is shadow of the US economy I would expect many job opportunities. You could do quite well on minimum wage with your government benefits. I would embrace your present situation and make it work for you. No need to be unhappy worrying about situations that may never be.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Every pharmacy and every hospital gets a daily drug delivery from their wholesaler. This service is done by small contract companies with small vans. Nursing homes get delivery’s every two or three days from pharmacies that contract to nursing homes, many of which have no retail function. Security companies provide guards to hundreds of businesses. All of these jobs have need for partime workers and want to hire your age group. There must be countless other possibilities. Unless Canada is shadow of the US economy I would expect many job opportunities. You could do quite well on minimum wage with your government benefits. I would embrace your present situation and make it work for you. No need to be unhappy worrying about situations that may never be.
I did try to do security, while the training isn't difficult, it is a licensed profession which in itself isn't an issue, however part of the application process includes a mental health condition form to be filled out by ones doctor, and doctor wasn't supportive of that type of job, and having a serious untreated mental health condition didn't help me either...

Never thought of pharmacy deliveries, I shall look into that see if I can find out names of companies who do such deliveries.

It's not really a lack of postings at the moment that is the issue, just the lack of getting interviews, but its hard to explain my gaps, but disclosing mental health issues upfront in a resume tends to backfire, even after being employed, employers are not typically the most accommodating lets say, and will find ways to force you out, I learned the mistake of disclosing to employers a few times, most doctors don't recommend it either.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 11th 2021 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 9:46 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Never thought of pharmacy deliveries, I shall look into that see if I can find out names of companies who do such deliveries.
Yes. Sounds good
Old Jun 11th 2021, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I did try to do security, while the training isn't difficult, it is a licensed profession which in itself isn't an issue, however part of the application process includes a mental health condition form to be filled out by ones doctor, and doctor wasn't supportive of that type of job, and having a serious untreated mental health condition didn't help me either...

It's not really a lack of postings at the moment that is the issue, just the lack of getting interviews, but its hard to explain my gaps, but disclosing mental health issues upfront in a resume tends to backfire, even after being employed, employers are not typically the most accommodating lets say, and will find ways to force you out, I learned the mistake of disclosing to employers a few times, most doctors don't recommend it either.
Many part time pharmacy delivery possibilities if you can work weekends. When I was in Dental school in Milwaukee I got a part time job delivering to nursing homes. The pharmacy was mainly setup for nursing home support and I changed out the carts at four nursing homes one about 60 away in a small town. Sometimes new orders require special deliveries over and above the regular cart change out. This type of job does not want younger types but someone older and dependable like yourself and can be trusted with schedule two narcotics. I would definitely spin any mental problem questions like a politician. Look for drug wholesalers like McKesson, Cardinal etc and they can maybe point you in right direction.

Last edited by ddsrph; Jun 11th 2021 at 10:57 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Many part time pharmacy delivery possibilities if you can work weekends. When I was in Dental school in Milwaukee I got a part time job delivering to nursing homes. The pharmacy was mainly setup for nursing home support and I changed out the carts at four nursing homes one about 60 away in a small town. Sometimes new orders require special deliveries over and above the regular cart change out. This type of job does not want younger types but someone older and dependable like yourself and can be trusted with schedule two narcotics. I would definitely spin any mental problem questions like a politician. Look for drug wholesalers like McKesson, Cardinal etc and they can maybe point you in right direction.

I'll look into over the weekend and next week, there is a chance it could be the provincial health services that does it but I don't know for sure, I'll find out hopefully though.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy the things that can lead to happiness...

Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Money also buys access to appropriate mental health treatment which then increases quality of life and eases mental suffering.

All around not having money really leads to a lower quality of life when in a society that revolves around money and everything requires money.

Canadian's often proclaim how much better the system in Canada is healthcare wise vs the US, but they rarely mention to the outside world just how much healthcare needs is not covered at all, or very limited in coverage, its not as universal access as it seems on the surface.

Old Jun 13th 2021, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Money also buys access to appropriate mental health treatment which then increases quality of life and eases mental suffering.

All around not having money really leads to a lower quality of life when in a society that revolves around money and everything requires money.

Canadian's often proclaim how much better the system in Canada is healthcare wise vs the US, but they rarely mention to the outside world just how much healthcare needs is not covered at all, or very limited in coverage, its not as universal access as it seems on the surface.
Are their any countries out there that have top notch free mental health treatment? Here in US if it can be treated by drug therapy some help is available. Maybe a yearly consult with psychiatrist and monthly monitoring of drug therapy by family physician. It’s long term/lifetime talk therapy that will always be hard to get due to cost and hard to measure endpoints. Imagine if Medicare opened up treatment by psychologist the potential for abuse would be unlimited.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are their any countries out there that have top notch free mental health treatment? Here in US if it can be treated by drug therapy some help is available. Maybe a yearly consult with psychiatrist and monthly monitoring of drug therapy by family physician. It’s long term/lifetime talk therapy that will always be hard to get due to cost and hard to measure endpoints. Imagine if Medicare opened up treatment by psychologist the potential for abuse would be unlimited.
US is so variable, the plans I had last did cover psychologists, $50 co-pay annual maximum was 6,000/yr but at that time I had not yet been diagnosed with BPD, and so was still being medicated and being seen by psychiatrist.

Medicaid in some states will cover psychologists, depends on states, Medicare may cover them as well, depends.

From the BPD groups I am in, the Australians seem to have the best access to help regardless of ability to pay, followed by Americans with insurance or have SSDI benefits, followed by UK members, us Canadian members are the most consistently unable to access treatment. Australia just seems to have a lot of BPD resources in general, a good chunk of the BPD resource sites I visit are Australian based, so while I don't know how their system works fully, it does seem to be better than Canada.

Canada's system is single payer, no private option, and so the only way the system is viable is if the government limits what is covered, and well back in the 1960's when the system was being designed, mental health treatments were still in their infancy, it was medication and hospitalization so that is what they covered, but now 50 years later, hospitalization is a last resort, science now knows medications are not wonder drugs that work for all mental health issues, and psychologists are a very important component of a mental health system.

BC where I am, things not covered:

services that are deemed to be not medically required,
dental services, except as outlined under benefits;
routine eye examinations for persons 19 to 64 years of age
eyeglasses, hearing aids, and other equipment or appliances
prescription drugs (thee is limited coverage depending on income level under a different program)
acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, naturopathy, physical therapy and non-surgical podiatry services

preventive services and screening tests not supported by evidence of medical effectiveness (for example, routine annual "complete" physical examinations, whole body CT scans, prostate specific antigen (PSA) tests);
services of counsellors or psychologists;
medical examinations, certificates or tests required for school, employment, life insurance, sports, immigration,

The above are not covered at all, the below the service provider such as a hospital may charge a fee for.

Devices, such as pessaries, IUDs, crutches, splints, braces, and tensor bandages
Material upgrades where the cost of the upgrade is significant relative to the cost of the standard item, such as fibreglass instead of plaster casts
Extensive dressings and special bandages, such as dressing for a major burn

Old Jun 14th 2021, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They told me I would be a below average student. And they were right.

They told me I wouldn’t go to college. They were mostly right, I did try, but did not have the academic ability to succeed.

Apparently according to the mental health group I was supposed to answer them in a positive way, but eh I was a below average student, that is a fact, might be a negative fact, but it's still a fact, 2.8 gpa is below average.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 2:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

They told me I would be a below average student. And they were right.

They told me I wouldn’t go to college. They were mostly right, I did try, but did not have the academic ability to succeed.

Apparently according to the mental health group I was supposed to answer them in a positive way, but eh I was a below average student, that is a fact, might be a negative fact, but it's still a fact, 2.8 gpa is below average.

Don't measure yourself or your abilities by other people's standards set up to match only one measure of achievement within one social system.

You have already dealt with far more than many people, and you're still standing.

You are you in your own right, and you don't have to fit or conform to anybody's system of measurement of evaluation. Yes, I know that sometimes we are required to fit in and it's difficult if you don't, but that shouldn't affect your own valuation of yourself.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 2:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Psilocybin. Mushrooms, for all you old hippies out there.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of their medicinal uses in particular for anxiety, depression, PTSD recovery, etc? The practice is slowly gaining momentum and in some places legality.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 4:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Psilocybin. Mushrooms, for all you old hippies out there.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of their medicinal uses in particular for anxiety, depression, PTSD recovery, etc? The practice is slowly gaining momentum and in some places legality.
I've been taking them a bit and there's been some discussion on the cannabis thread. Since I'm taking a gram at a time (usually, but sometimes half) I'm not following the micro-dosing protocol. Also not doing them regularly; more like every 2 - 3 weeks. This afternoon might be a good time to get into some, after I get all my driving done.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I've been taking them a bit and there's been some discussion on the cannabis thread. Since I'm taking a gram at a time (usually, but sometimes half) I'm not following the micro-dosing protocol. Also not doing them regularly; more like every 2 - 3 weeks. This afternoon might be a good time to get into some, after I get all my driving done.

Does it do any good? I've seen two approaches - the micro-dosing one, and the full-on trip but under supervision.

Maybe I should move this discussion to the cannabis thread in Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.