Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Mental Health II

Mental Health II

Old Mar 27th 2021, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health II

We may end up in a little short term debt but long term it will even out in the end for the better.

We have to break our lease early by a couple months and current landlord is not being cooperative, not the end of the world, and they may never go to the RTB, but if they do we will lose and be ordered to pay, but eh short term pain is worth long term gain in this instance.

Old Mar 29th 2021, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Youth of today will be who are able to push the system forward I think more than previous generations have been able to.

Looks like a Hospital in Victoria, BC has a poor Psychiatric Emergency Service department which doesn't surprise me, its the same over in many hospitals in BC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ange-1.5965691

""Having to go to Royal Jubilee Hospital's Psychiatric Emergency Service (PES) is terrifying," said Epp. "My brother had cancer for his whole life … [But] my mom says she would rather have a kid with cancer than a kid with mental illness, I think that shows how broken our system is."

Old Mar 29th 2021, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I often wonder if part of mental health healing is being in a place where one can see a future, and achieve it.

Where I am the cost of say housing is so high there is 0 chance of ever achieving that goal, I have no feasible way to earn 100,000 a year and save 50,000-100,000 for a 10% down payment which is what it would take to achieve the dream of having a house.

Maybe being stuck in a place where there really isn't any achievable future plays a larger role in how I feel than I give it credit for.

Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think rejection letters from applying for jobs are almost more of a negative than a positive to mental health, I lean more towards not wanting to hear anything unless its good..ha ha

Apparently I am not even good enough for an overnight, min wage front desk job at a homeless shelter.

I need to try and decide if the risk of taking on 10,000 in student loan debt is worth it, obviously never a guarantee of a job when going to school for training, just not sure if the debt load that I would take on would be worth the risk. If I got a job after training it would be $22 to $24/hr depending on health authority, mostly causal to part-time to start since that is how most jobs in healthcare operate these days.

And why does 4 month long training program cost so much anyhow? Vocational training for whatever reason costs a lot more than a 4 year academic degree, seems we as a society must subsidized academic degrees more than vocational training.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Mar 30th 2021 at 6:20 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:13 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I think I told you this once.
It was deemed I wasn't a good fit for the job of cleaning the local bogs in our teeny mall in the village.
I'd been doing it for months as a favour for the neighbour whose job it was because she had ill health. Local 6 shops were pleased enough with the standard. Once she resigned , I applied and........
............ got turned down .

Old Mar 30th 2021, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I think I told you this once.
It was deemed I wasn't a good fit for the job of cleaning the local bogs in our teeny mall in the village.
I'd been doing it for months as a favour for the neighbour whose job it was because she had ill health. Local 6 shops were pleased enough with the standard. Once she resigned , I applied and........
............ got turned down .
Pain ain't it?

I keep trying to get into pre-requisite course I need to get into the training program I want to take, but damn do they fill up fast, just opened registration a week ago and its already filled. Maybe next year, this was the last chance to try for September, so next intake is May 2022, I was just hoping for something productive to do, and keep busy and school would solve both, but eh life sucks when you don't have money...ha ha

Old Mar 31st 2021, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Watching aquarium companies in the US on youtube, and I was thinking how most of these folks if they were in Canada wouldn't have the opportunity to do what they enjoy for their job because the population is too small to support such ventures.

Old Apr 1st 2021, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I truly think apartment living is really a huge negative for my mental health, I watch youtube and others who live in houses and there are so many more things one can do when they have a house. Have a pond, aquarium, a yard to plant and take care of, putter around doing odd projects and such.

Apartments really stifle what you can do, limited to what the landlord wants, and no freedom over your housing at all, always at the mercy of someone else.

Old Apr 4th 2021, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I often wonder if part of mental health healing is being in a place where one can see a future, and achieve it.

Where I am the cost of say housing is so high there is 0 chance of ever achieving that goal, I have no feasible way to earn 100,000 a year and save 50,000-100,000 for a 10% down payment which is what it would take to achieve the dream of having a house.

Maybe being stuck in a place where there really isn't any achievable future plays a larger role in how I feel than I give it credit for.
J
I agree your lack of a way forward for decent future is a big part of your problem. So what are you waiting for? Will you be in the same place ten years from now? It is really very simple, you need a job in a part of the US that will allow you to own a home and have the life you desire. That would be my primary focus and do what it would take to make it happen. Along the same lines as your previous jobs could you work for UPS, Amazon, major truck shipping terminals, truck driving? Thousands of shipping type jobs that pay decent and offer health insurance which is a necessity for you and your wife. Can your wife work also? As long as one of you has company health insurance available they can cover the other. You don’t even have to burn any bridges with your current situation. Could your wife stay and you get that job and then she move later? It is not easy and with no guarantees but if maintain the status quo for several more years your options will diminish and mental outlook may suffer also.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are going to use the savings on rent so I can go to a psychologist, seems like a reasonable use of funds, it will keep us struggling a bit for a year longer maybe longer, but it seems to be the only option at this point, can't continue going on like this and feeling this way, and the healthcare system isn't a viable option, and so self pay it is, not sure if it will work not being a proper BPD program, but maybe it will work, time will tell.

Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to use the savings on rent so I can go to a psychologist, seems like a reasonable use of funds, it will keep us struggling a bit for a year longer maybe longer, but it seems to be the only option at this point, can't continue going on like this and feeling this way, and the healthcare system isn't a viable option, and so self pay it is, not sure if it will work not being a proper BPD program, but maybe it will work, time will tell.
Sounds like a good plan and a very worthwhile thing to do with the money you are saving on rent. The psychologist may also be able to recommend some excellent websites for you to use.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

J
Check into a university based behavioral health clinic. Low costs with hopefully cutting edge treatment. Also flexibility in getting with a good fit provider rather than getting stuck with one solo practice person.
Old Yesterday, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Yesterday, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Sounds like a good plan and a very worthwhile thing to do with the money you are saving on rent. The psychologist may also be able to recommend some excellent websites for you to use.
It's worth a try. I may start at 2 times a month which is around $400 a month, then maybe work up to 3 times a month, so we can get caught up a bit on everything and such. Just in the process of looking for a psychologist who is experienced with borderline, and many wont treat borderline so its a bit of work sorting through it...ha ha
Old Yesterday, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth a try. I may start at 2 times a month which is around $400 a month, then maybe work up to 3 times a month, so we can get caught up a bit on everything and such. Just in the process of looking for a psychologist who is experienced with borderline, and many wont treat borderline so its a bit of work sorting through it...ha ha
Good luck...I hope it works out for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.