Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hows your 'Friends' count?

Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:24 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hows your 'Friends' count?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
.... the parents/coaches in my daughter's soccer club) .....
We drifted closer to the parents of a couple of our daughter's friends in the years after she started school, but then one couple upped and went to Florida, and the others divorced, so that all fell apart too.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:27 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
We drifted closer to the parents of a couple of our daughter's friends in the years after she started school, but then one couple upped and went to Florida, and the others divorced, so that all fell apart too.
There's only one set of parents of a friend of our daughter's that we've spent time with outside of a school/birthday party setting. Unfortunately the two girls had a falling out last year and both want to make up but both are too stubborn to make the first move, so we haven't seen much of them for a while

But lots of her friends have moved out of state over the years, that kind of thing happens a fair bit.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There's only one set of parents of a friend of our daughter's that we've spent time with outside of a school/birthday party setting. Unfortunately the two girls had a falling out last year and both want to make up but both are too stubborn to make the first move, so we haven't seen much of them for a while

But lots of her friends have moved out of state over the years, that kind of thing happens a fair bit.

People move around this country like nobody's business. It's really annoying. They move, and are just gone from your life. Ditto when they change jobs.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:29 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
People move around this country like nobody's business. It's really annoying. They move, and are just gone from your life. Ditto when they change jobs.
I can't criticize, I would like to move somewhere where it doesn't snow.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:32 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I can't criticize, I would like to move somewhere where it doesn't snow.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:35 pm
Hail Satan!

It's bloody 66 in Charlotte right now, I don't need reminding
Old Feb 6th 2020, 3:37 pm
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
As someone who moved from Australia to the UK (and back again), I can honestly tell you that British people make wonderful, loyal friends. Sure, they may come across as being a little reserved initially if you're used to something different, but I don't see that as a bad thing, quite the reverse. A friendship formed in five minutes isn't a true friendship, it's an acquaintance. It takes time and shared experiences to form a lasting friendship, ones that will go the distance and that you know you can count on to be there for you no matter what.

I dont mind them being reserved. I intend to live here so im looking for those friendships you described.
I did have a few friends back in the day but they have all moved out of the UK to dubai. So theres that hehe.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 4:09 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

It's bloody 66 in Charlotte right now, I don't need reminding. ...

66 ..... and very very wet ... I am considering planting rice in our vegetable garden.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 4:10 pm
Hail Satan!

66 ..... and very very wet ... I am considering planting rice in our vegetable garden.
Sounds like you have the same kind of drainage in your yard as our next door neighbors do. Doesn't take much rain before there's a pool by the end of their drive that ducks will actually come by and swim in
Old Feb 6th 2020, 4:29 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Sounds like you have the same kind of drainage in your yard as our next door neighbors do. Doesn't take much rain before there's a pool by the end of their drive that ducks will actually come by and swim in
I have drainage through my yard ..... Storm water from both sides of the street enters my yard from the road, [1] on one side where the ditch ends, because the developer didn't bother to put a pipe under our driveway, and I had to put in a plastic pipe to stop it flooding down our driveway.

[2] On the other side water comes under our neighbour's driveway, where he put a pipe to stop storm water running down his driveway, and he diverted the water into the drainage easement down the side of our yard.

Then [3] water from the street comes through the yard of several neighbours on our side of the street, into a natural gully behind their houses, and comes into our yard along side our home. I think that there must have been some sort of creek bed across our yard until our lot was graded for building.

Then [4] water comes from the back yard of the house next door into the far back corner of our yard ..... where it meets up with [5] water from the back of the properties in the next road behind us. I think there are a couple of other storm water courses into our property further back in the woods too.

And when it has been raining a lot, we have a spring that appears about 30 feet off to one side of our house. All told, I believe that somewhere around 15-20 acres drain through our yard.

And all these sources of storm water have to get to the lowest point, which means the farthest corner of our property from where all the water enters - I liken it to the fingers of a hand, where the water needs to run down the wrist. One day I may get around to putting in some proper drains, that carry the "100 year flood storms" that we typically get 2-3 time a year, and that would be necessary if we were to install a swimming pool.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2020 at 4:37 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 4:32 pm
Hail Satan!

I have drainage through my yard ..... Storm water from both sides of the street enters my yard from the road -
[1] on one side where the ditch ends, because the developer didn't bother to put a pipe under our driveway, and I had to put in a plastic pipe to stop it flooding down our driveway.

[2] On the other side water comes under our neighbour's driveway, where he put a pipe to stop storm water running down his driveway, and he diverted into the drainage easement down the side of our yard.

Then [3] water from the street comes through the yard of several neighbours on our side of the street and into a natural gully and comes into our yard along side our home. I think that there was some sort of creek until our lot was graded for the house we bought.

Then [4] water comes from the back yard of the house next door into the far back corner of our yard ..... where it meets up with [5] water from the back of the properties in the next road behind us. I think there are a couple of other storm water courses into our property further back in the woods too.

And all these sources of storm water have to get to the lowest point, which means the farthest corner of our property from where all the water enters - I liken it to the fingers of a hand, where the water needs to run down the wrist. One day I may get around to putting in some proper drains, that carry the "100 year flood storms" that we typically get 2-3 time a year, and that would be necessary if we were to install a swimming pool.
Oh wow, that is a lot of water.

Our town is full of old kettle moraine glacial hills, so as a result our lot is graded in such a way that it slopes down from the far back end to the driveway. This means we're very lucky with drainage and all the water runs out of our yard into the road. Where it probably flows to next door's duck pond.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 9:27 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I think mine's back up to zero again
Old Feb 6th 2020, 9:49 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Three of the best friends I've had in my 50+ years are people I met here on BE. We've supported each other through some really tough times (they've mostly supported me) and have had some incredible laughs.
If I'm not one of them I'm going to come over there and cut you into pieces
As for the support, it definitely goes both ways.

Friend wise - most of my very best friends (including the wonderful Dorothy) are from here and from when I was a frequenter of AOL UK forums - when those closed down, we all migrated over to FB and kept in touch that way. They've been an incredibly supportive bunch over the years and I've met most of them in person. I did reconnect with best friends from school (I didn't have a "best friend", I had a "best group of friends" ) on FB and we chat there and also met up when I went back to the UK for my 50th, and we'll be doing that again this year for Mr Dreamy's 50th. I'm not good at making proper friends, and I'm even worse at keeping them.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had some passing acquaintances over the years, but no real friends. The few friends I did have in California when I left we lost contact and I have no idea where they are today. Also have a couple acquaintances via my wife but wouldn't say they are my friends, I only know them through my wife and we don't have much in common and I never see them....

I do talk to my mom and dad every few months, but grew apart from my siblings and we rarely talks, and most of my nieces and nephews were either not born or too young when I left the US to remember me.

I had no friends in school so I don't have any from that part of my life.

I am not exactly in a region known for friendliness though, this area is known for not being that friendly and very cliquey in nature making it hard for outsiders, much like Seattle is known for.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Feb 7th 2020 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 3:37 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
If I'm not one of them I'm going to come over there and cut you into pieces .
🔪😢

Of course you're one of them you daft thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.