Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hobbies

Hobbies

Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That's automation putting people out of work once again ...

Certainly sounds like it. Isn't he a Liverpool supporter as well?
He certainly is.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:00 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
He certainly is.
I thought I remembered you saying that before.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby got into computing in the mid 70’s...when he went to Germany to work with the US army. Came back a few years later and got a job with ICL, which is where we met.
Ahhh, It Can't Last!!! - betcha there aren't too many Usercode and 2900 VME programs in use these days - memories of cross-training courses at Windsor, 1981. Then on to IBM MVS (which seemed like a step back in functionality), a foray via SBCs, PCs, VAX VMS and IBM CMS and back to MVS until I moved off to management.

I love all things to do with vintage computers, even though today's machines absolutely smoke them for performance, they are still interesting as historical pieces, and the variety was nuts in the 70s/80s as well.
Then, programming was an art (with a bit of magic thrown in) - now it's almost irrelevant. Hardware was advancing, but nobody could see the way things would be 5 years down the line...... or what was around the corner. Even single LED indicators were rocket science (and no "white" available) Broadband.... what? Internet?.... Que? SWMBO was awoken by the chiming of a modem connection on many a night! But p​​​​erformance isn't everything - I was a mainframe DBA running a defined system spread across 2 geographically separated mainframes and which was designed NEVER to lose data. Then, as I moved off computing, they were attempting to rewrite it as a distributed "open system" (UNIX) Of course, it was more flexible and required less maintenance - but those were the duck legs under the water that the users never saw - and from their point of view, the replacement was slower and prone to data loss...... so hard to sell!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I remembered you saying that before.

A 4th thing you have in common...Irish ancestry. May find out you are related.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:11 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I remember driving from South Manchester overnight to Reading to deliver a reel of magnetic tape. Now it would take a second to hit a button. .
Early days our backup tapes went between computer centres by motorcycle courier...... we called it Hondanet!
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Early days our backup tapes went between computer centres by motorcycle courier...... we called it Hondanet!

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 10th 2019 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:27 pm
Brexicide Now

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Then, programming was an art (with a bit of magic thrown in) - now it's almost irrelevant. Hardware was advancing, but nobody could see the way things would be 5 years down the line...... or what was around the corner. Even single LED indicators were rocket science (and no "white" available) Broadband.... what? Internet?.... Que? SWMBO was awoken by the chiming of a modem connection on many a night! But p​​​​erformance isn't everything - I was a mainframe DBA running a defined system spread across 2 geographically separated mainframes and which was designed NEVER to lose data. Then, as I moved off computing, they were attempting to rewrite it as a distributed "open system" (UNIX) Of course, it was more flexible and required less maintenance - but those were the duck legs under the water that the users never saw - and from their point of view, the replacement was slower and prone to data loss...... so hard to sell!
Imagine looking at the graphics available in 1981, and then trying to explain to someone back then how realistic games would look today. Their minds would explode.

A 4th thing you have in common...Irish ancestry. May find out you are related.
That would be a bit of a surprise right enough, I'm pretty sure my lot is all accounted for. There aren't many of us
Old Jun 10th 2019, 7:55 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby got into computing in the mid 70’s...when he went to Germany to work with the US army. Came back a few years later and got a job with ICL, which is where we met.
I trained on ICL mid-late 70's, our local county council (I was at night school) could only muster a paper tape peripheral for the 15 mile hike up to the "big boy" in Aylesbury. Surprised that hubby went for ICL after the US army, but maybe they weren't running with IBM, but the "other American lot" instead?

I remember driving from South Manchester overnight to Reading to deliver a reel of magnetic tape. Now it would take a second to hit a button. ...
Early '90's we were 'centralising' our datacentres; I had been forced to park the processing and storage for two US mainframes in London for eight months (due to some dipstick in finance getting the numbers wrong) before the final swing into CH. Button pressing, hot copies were way too expensive back then for mere mortals in the commercial sector.

Come the big weekend, we had dual tape copies couriered from London to Geneva, separate teams, separate flights, I was posted to London to oversee weekend activities. Saturday evening a message on pager "both tape sets arrived intact". Cool, so set off to kip and beer at a mate's place in Surrey, just before arriving received messages "tape xyz failed, secondary xyz snapped".

Rats. back to London, collect third tape, book on BA's first out of LHR Sunday morning. Landed, cleared customs, my man waiting in arrivals took the tape and I was back for the return leg, same aircraft, same crew - "is there a problem?" "Nope" and nicely in time for Sunday lunch at a watering hole in Guildford.

Bloody glad that that kind of stuff's no longer a 'hobby'...
Old Jun 10th 2019, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I trained on ICL mid-late 70's, our local county council (I was at night school) could only muster a paper tape peripheral for the 15 mile hike up to the "big boy" in Aylesbury. Surprised that hubby went for ICL after the US army, but maybe they weren't running with IBM, but the "other American lot" instead?
He worked with IBM in Germany. Decided he wanted to go home and lucky for me, got a job with ICL.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 8:22 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

He worked with IBM in Germany. Decided he wanted to go home and lucky for me, got a job with ICL.
IBM in Germany; wonderful people, I had soooo many good times with them when based in Frankfurt, mostly working weekends though...

I couldn't quite get the hang of ICL encoding, IBM seemed more logical to me.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Faster than sneakernet! Pigeons are good too https://m.phys.org/news/2009-09-carr...-internet.html
Old Jun 11th 2019, 1:03 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Faster than sneakernet! Pigeons are good too https://m.phys.org/news/2009-09-carr...-internet.html
There was a good rationale for this - to begin with, available transmission rates meant that large amounts of data took longer to transfer than it took a man on a motorbike to cover the 120 miles between datacentres.... and the cost of private wire rental was high too. Then, as transmission rates increased and costs fell, the serial nature of the data transmission meant that any loss would mean starting again...... and we were in a situation where the available update window was less than twice the transmission time - whoops!! Hondanet only failed to deliver twice over a 5-year period and carried 2 copies of the tapes...

Then, when transmission became the norm, there was still the issue of transmitted data packets arriving out of sequence and screwing up the remote update..

Update timescales seem mind-boggling today - falling back to an earlier image to recover from an error could take hours and a major change to the database required all data to be offloaded and then reloaded in the new format. I recall one "fun" update taking 26 hours over a weekend - and it had to be monitored. Understandably, we didn't do those too often........
Old Jun 11th 2019, 1:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my friend the pigeon link and he said "The highest bandwidth is still a truck full of blu-ray discs".
Old Jul 1st 2019, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Carolinus is an unknown quantity at this point

Traveling is one of my favorite hobbies. I love visiting friends and family, seeing historical sites, and experiencing new cultures. Throughout my life I have been blessed to travel to a variety of different places around the world. To date, I have been to 3 continents, 11 countries, and dozens of states. One of my favourite travel destination is Greece. It has great historical monuments and museums and the local cuisine is a must try.
I always use the same car rental service, by the way. Open a bottle of wine, enjoy the incomparable sunset, and feast on a fabulous Greek meal

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 1st 2019 at 5:56 pm. Reason: Looks very much like advertising
Old Jul 5th 2019, 2:51 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carolinus View Post
Traveling is one of my favorite hobbies. I love visiting friends and family, seeing historical sites, and experiencing new cultures. Throughout my life I have been blessed to travel to a variety of different places around the world. To date, I have been to 3 continents, 11 countries, and dozens of states. One of my favourite travel destination is Greece. It has great historical monuments and museums and the local cuisine is a must try.
I always use the same car rental service, by the way. Open a bottle of wine, enjoy the incomparable sunset, and feast on a fabulous Greek meal
Most of my travelling has been through work. As far as food goes, if I can't read the menu, I just point at a random dish and see what happens. I ended up with pig brain pate and warmed calves face once, which was interesting