Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

General Election - Voting

General Election - Voting

Old Nov 1st 2019, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

cvmerlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General Election - Voting

I lived in the UK for 8 years, first as EU citizen, then as UK citizen, and have since then moved to another EU country. I tried to register as an overseas voter earlier this year, but my application was refused. The council stated that since I was registered to vote as an EU citizen in my council (although I was also a UK citizen at the time), I am now not eligible to register as an overseas voter.

Doing some further research on the web, I keep reading that the only criteria to vote overseas are that you are a UK citizen and were registered to vote in the UK. Nowhere does it state that it matters whether you were registered as a UK or EU citizen. Also, since I applied for citizenship with the same council that I am trying to register with now, it should be fairly easy to match my records to check that I am the same person.

Am I correct, or is there a criterion mentioned anywhere that states that you need to have been registered to vote as a UK citizen while in the UK? If so, any chance you could refer me to where it says so?
Old Nov 1st 2019, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cvmerlin View Post
I lived in the UK for 8 years, first as EU citizen, then as UK citizen, and have since then moved to another EU country. I tried to register as an overseas voter earlier this year, but my application was refused. The council stated that since I was registered to vote as an EU citizen in my council (although I was also a UK citizen at the time), I am now not eligible to register as an overseas voter.

Doing some further research on the web, I keep reading that the only criteria to vote overseas are that you are a UK citizen and were registered to vote in the UK. Nowhere does it state that it matters whether you were registered as a UK or EU citizen. Also, since I applied for citizenship with the same council that I am trying to register with now, it should be fairly easy to match my records to check that I am the same person.

Am I correct, or is there a criterion mentioned anywhere that states that you need to have been registered to vote as a UK citizen while in the UK? If so, any chance you could refer me to where it says so?
It sounds like you should have registered each year, but it still says that you can re-register if you have been away for less than 15 years.

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

Renewing your registration

You have to renew your registration every year. You’ll get a reminder when it’s time to renew.

If you do not renew your registration, you’ll be removed from the register and must make a fresh application in order to vote again.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 8:48 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cvmerlin View Post
Would that not have been specific to that particular election - the EU election? You specify whether you want to be able to vote in your home country or country of residence for those.

Old Nov 16th 2019, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Alianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond reputeAlianco has a reputation beyond repute

I have to amend my short answer here as it is not quite correct.

The vote still needs to be cast in what was your home constituency. The proxy voter can live outside of that area BUT there will be problems with that being a postal vote.

I know as I have done this one time.
I don't know what the problem would be here. We are registered in Folkestone, the last place we lived before coming to France. Our friend in Leamington Spa votes by post on our behalf. We haven't had any problems. I guess the UK postal service could lose the envelope, but I don't think that's much of a risk.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:30 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Postal voting papers received and returned on the 26,11, 2019.