Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

General Election - Voting

General Election - Voting

Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default General Election - Voting

This post on Twitter advises that, in the event of a December election, there will not be time to send postal ballots. Advises apply for proxy vote:
Old Oct 29th 2019, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: General Election - Voting

Thanks for the information but to be fair it seems to be incorrect.

This morning I contacted the Electoral Manager for my voting district in the UK and this was his very speedy response: (bold highlight has been added by me):

"With any election regardless of how much time we get, we cannot issue an postal votes packs until the last day for receiving nominations from candidates passes and all ballot papers have been approved. This happens 19 working days before election, so the earliest dispatch of overseas postal votes is 18 working days before the election.We have separate Royal Mail licences set up for this and our printers know numbers and packs and been pre-prepared. So will we have the same amount of time we have at any election involving overseas electors.

The problem is, as I mentioned previously, is once we hand postal packs over from our printers to Royal Mail, we have no control over postal services in destination countries. The postal ballot packs are specifically designed with purple flashes on the envelopes son Royal Mail can easily fast track them through system when in the UK. We have to receive the postal pack before the time polling stations close on election day for the vote to be included in the counting of votes

Your options are to vote by post, but there are certain risks with this"

Basically his reply states postal voting is still a viable option (even with a snap election) but it is subject to all the liabilities that any postal service is prone to encounter.

He confirms a proxy vote is the more definitive method to ensure your vote is cast as long as the "proxy" meets the legal criterion and acts on your instructions.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macsta View Post
He confirms a proxy vote is the more definitive method to ensure your vote is cast as long as the "proxy" meets the legal criterion and acts on your instructions.

​​​​​What your post outlines is my understanding of the postal voting system. One thing to be aware of re proxy voters is they must cast your proxy vote at the voting station you are registered to vote at
Old Oct 29th 2019, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22 View Post
​​​​​What your post outlines is my understanding of the postal voting system. One thing to be aware of re proxy voters is they must cast your proxy vote at the voting station you are registered to vote at
Our Proxy is registered to vote by post for us.

Old Oct 29th 2019, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret M View Post
Our Proxy is registered to vote by post for us.
This however is not a default position.

If you have already nominated a proxy and the proxy cannot attend the polling station that you are registered under (as Bobd22 correctly stated) then your proxy can apply to vote on behalf of you by post.

They can only do so if they apply to vote by post (and complete the required application form) by 5pm, 11 working days before the poll.

More details:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter
Old Oct 29th 2019, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macsta View Post
This however is not a default position.

If you have already nominated a proxy and the proxy cannot attend the polling station that you are registered under (as Bobd22 correctly stated) then your proxy can apply to vote on behalf of you by post.

They can only do so if they apply to vote by post (and complete the required application form) by 5pm, 11 working days before the poll.

More details:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter
This is why we set it up several months ago.

Old Oct 29th 2019, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

LiamUK87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would I be right in saying that my proxy voter must be in the same constituency that I previously voted in?
Old Oct 29th 2019, 11:19 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiamUK87 View Post
Would I be right in saying that my proxy voter must be in the same constituency that I previously voted in?
Yes.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

LiamUK87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General Election - Voting

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Yes.
Ok, thank you.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 11:33 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiamUK87 View Post

Ok, thank you.
I have to amend my short answer here as it is not quite correct.

The vote still needs to be cast in what was your home constituency. The proxy voter can live outside of that area BUT there will be problems with that being a postal vote.

I know as I have done this one time.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I have to amend my short answer here as it is not quite correct.

The vote still needs to be cast in what was your home constituency. The proxy voter can live outside of that area BUT there will be problems with that being a postal vote.

I know as I have done this one time.
Can you elaborate on this please, as our proxy voter lives outside of the area. What was the problem?
Old Oct 30th 2019, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I would add that if voters in Portugal were relying on Royal Mail ...ie GLS to deliver their vote... they can whistle for it. Royal Mail is no longer the company it used to be. It is German owned and its GLS 'subsidiary' in Portugal is a shed , up a steep hill, in the middle of nowhere. Proxy is the only way for Portuguese ex-pats
Old Oct 30th 2019, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
I would add that if voters in Portugal were relying on Royal Mail ...ie GLS to deliver their vote... they can whistle for it. Royal Mail is no longer the company it used to be. It is German owned and its GLS 'subsidiary' in Portugal is a shed , up a steep hill, in the middle of nowhere. Proxy is the only way for Portuguese ex-pats
Our postal vote papers arrived 2 weeks after the last election, which is why we set up the proxy.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 5:10 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

At least that's an improvement on Canada Post....
Old Oct 31st 2019, 7:42 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a voter in Portugal.

I have had my ballot paper delivered by CTT, the PT equivalent of the Royal Mail, in plenty good enough time to complete and return for arrival well in advance of voting day. Three times so far since I first registered for a postal vote prior to the Brexit referendum.

GLS only kicks in for parcel deliveries over a certain weight. Letters and small parcels go from RM to CTT and take around 2 working days UK postbox to PT letterbox

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.