Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Is FSC the "best" source for football here?

Is FSC the "best" source for football here?

Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

McginleyHamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is FSC the "best" source for football here?

Just wondering if the general consensus is that subscribing to a sports package is the most efficient way to get access to football matches in the US. We do currently but have toyed with the idea of canceling our cable in favor of something like Hulu plus or Netflix streaming services BUT my husband is from Northern Ireland and I couldn't ask him to go completely without the football. I don't think a sling box would be a good option for us and the VPN proxy stuff might be good but not sure if it would really save us any money which is the goal of getting rid of cable.

Anyone made all these comparisons on a cost basis before?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is FSC the "best" source for football here?

There are quite a few threads on footie, using VPN's and the like.

VPN is only handy if you've got access to someone with Sky etc back in the UK. VPN should be about a fiver a month or so.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/ Isn't a bad source for online feeds, but the quality can be hit or miss.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I recently found the Tunein Radio app to be excellent at streaming any BBC radio station and bypassing any regional restriction.

Useful if you want to listen to local radio coverage or blocked events like the Six Nations.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:50 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Currently the channel ESPN2 show the Saturday noon kick off, 99% of the time.

Fox Soccer Channel show one Saturday 3pm game, and then the 5pm match. Sunday they show the 4pm kick off.
Occasionally ESPN2 will show a Saturday 3pm game at the same time. But not always.

Fox Soccer Channel Plus is a channel not shown on my Comcast cable, so I can not elaborate much about it other than to link you to these tv schedule sites:

This site for both FSC and FSC+

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/tvschedule

For all ESPN USA schedules:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_...soccer-futbol/

This is a fan site, and collates the above information:

http://www.epltalk.com/premier-league-tv-schedule

I check this website all the time.

I also subscribe to a legal USA streaming site called http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/

But, it's $20 a month, and they generally show the games from Fox Soccer Plus, and 99% of all of the Saturday 3pm games.

Check the site often, and 'like' Fox Soccer on Facebook as they often do 7 day free trials.

There is also the tv channels ESPN Deportes, and Goltv but these in my experience are channels you can only see if you pay for the expensive cable packages.

Last edited by Brucky; Mar 15th 2012 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

McginleyHamilton is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure if what we have now is FSC or FSC+. My goal, though, is to not pay any cable subscriber come this summer. I'll have Dh look at the FS2go site and see if he thinks that would work for him. It looks like the closest to what I was imagining., especially if he can stream it from the computer to the tv.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Hubby has the FSC/FSC+/ESPN2 channels etc in our cable package and also does the VPN (he has his mates Sky details back home) so he's definitely covered. Should be able to shop around these days for a decent cable/Fios package. We pay $100 a month for phone (inc free int calls), internet and TV. Have to say I also use the VPN quite a bit for BBC/ITV/Channel 4, costs us $10 a month, so you may be able to manage just on that then use Netflix/Hulu for stuff over here.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:59 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

If he's ever used the dodgy websites to stream the footie back in England, he'll be very pleased with the quality on Foxsoccer2go.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:00 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Do not forget that ESPN sports are free for many Internet subscribers, even with no TV package. Check this list to see if your Internet provide is included.

I make do with ESPN 3, VPN and downloads. No cable for me, and certainly no extra add on package. But its all down to how much your are prepared to pay and the need to watch.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 15th 2012 at 6:03 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by McginleyHamilton View Post
Just wondering if the general consensus is that subscribing to a sports package is the most efficient way to get access to football matches in the US. We do currently but have toyed with the idea of canceling our cable in favor of something like Hulu plus or Netflix streaming services BUT my husband is from Northern Ireland and I couldn't ask him to go completely without the football. I don't think a sling box would be a good option for us and the VPN proxy stuff might be good but not sure if it would really save us any money which is the goal of getting rid of cable.

Anyone made all these comparisons on a cost basis before?
To be fair, if you don't support an English team in the Premiership you are not going to see much on FSC.

I love it as Sunderland seem to be on quite a lot and it stops me spending $100 a week on trains and beer (wife likes it for the same reason even more)..

I personally spend the $14.95 a month for FSC+ even though its not in hd.

The Slingbox can be a great option for you if you have someone with at least a 1meg upload, otherwise its all down to VPN.

I have an uncle back in the UK that provides services to people like yourself. If you want his details send me a PM and I will give em to you.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:06 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem View Post
To be fair, if you don't support an English team in the Premiership you are not going to see much on FSC.

I love it as Sunderland seem to be on quite a lot and it stops me spending $100 a week on trains and beer (wife likes it for the same reason even more)..

I personally spend the $14.95 a month for FSC+ even though its not in hd.

The Slingbox can be a great option for you if you have someone with at least a 1meg upload, otherwise its all down to VPN.

I have an uncle back in the UK that provides services to people like yourself. If you want his details send me a PM and I will give em to you.
Me too and it really pisses me off - the one included in the standard package is HD and the premium one isn't. Switching from FSC to FSC+, you really notice how poor the picture you always used to watch is. The most annoying part is, FCS+ is available in HD, just not on my network.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
I recently found the Tunein Radio app to be excellent at streaming any BBC radio station and bypassing any regional restriction.

Useful if you want to listen to local radio coverage or blocked events like the Six Nations.
I thought so as well, until I got the "due to rights restrictions, this program is not available" message.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
I thought so as well, until I got the "due to rights restrictions, this program is not available" message.
Hmm, worked for me a few weeks back listening to England fall apart against the Welsh in the final minutes. Maybe they've cottoned on.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

I use http://liveonlinefooty.com which is a good deal at six quid per 2 months. Unfortunately, they closed the site for new sign-ups, even invites. Watching the Man City-Sporting Lisbon game in hi-def at the moment.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cluedweasel View Post
I use http://liveonlinefooty.com which is a good deal at six quid per 2 months. Unfortunately, they closed the site for new sign-ups, even invites. Watching the Man City-Sporting Lisbon game in hi-def at the moment.
Checks scores,... ewww
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:50 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
It still works on my computers, but not with browser plugins, I need to disable them and open the stream in VLC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.