Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Apr 11th 2019, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

The last time I was in the UK I was looking forward to 'proper' Fish & Chips, I was very disappointed and I tried several places. Cod seemed in short supply and hard to find in Hull of all places, although the fishing industry does exist in Hull any more.

Craving for British Grub? Buy the book

Old Apr 11th 2019, 4:17 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I made cupcakes for one of the doctors at work who's going off on maternity leave tomorrow .
Old Apr 11th 2019, 4:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy, they're gorgeous!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I bet they taste as good as they look too!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 8:18 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Dorothy, they're gorgeous!
Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
I bet they taste as good as they look too!
Thank you, ladies . Baking is my therapy .
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:24 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I'm not sure I'd like salt'n'vinegar crisp faux batter. There again I don't like salt'n'vinegar crisps. Ole MrBEVS on the other hand might go for that.
Fish is expensive here but we sometimes score reasonable cheap fish via a courier that delivers to Talleys locally. It is a bit of a mix bag of course but usually very good nevertheless.

What with this and the sausage pasta thing MrVEVS will become a podgechops.

Was that batter good though. Did those crisps become soggified or something?
Expensive? You surprise me, why is that, do you think?
Old Apr 11th 2019, 10:48 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
...I like salt and vinegar crisps but I didn't detect that flavour at all. .Probably the frying removes the taste.
Thanks for the heads up on the lack of flavour added, that would push it back down my 'to try' list a bit. If it's not done for taste then it can only be for the texture?
Old Apr 11th 2019, 11:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy the cupcakes wonderful. What a great idea.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 1:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the lack of flavour added, that would push it back down my 'to try' list a bit. If it's not done for taste then it can only be for the texture?
Using crushed chips (crisps to you) as breading is nothing new and a tasty variation for fish and probably chicken and pork chops as well. I've even stockpiled the fine stuff from the bottom of the bag and used it all flavours mixed together with good results. That being said, it isn't necessarily my favourite or something I do regularly. The big bowl of dried bread crust gets the most use. One thing I like to use for breading fish is corn flakes or other similar breakfast cereal. Crushed and with a little Greek oregano added it works well for breading white fish like walleye.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 2:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps. But maybe it's a healthier option in that it doesn't absorb oil or whatever it's cooked in. Sometimes you can get fish in a batter that is a bit...I want to say soggy but that's too much.

I ate this fish using my hands - the others with me had burgers so I wasn't out of place - and they were not greasy like they would be eating the usual battered fish, sausages, whatever. It was light but crunchy.

Possibly there are a few more calories in the 'batter' mix but fewer in the end result with less absorption of fat.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 4:10 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Using crushed chips (crisps to you) as breading is nothing new and a tasty variation for fish and probably chicken and pork chops as well. I've even stockpiled the fine stuff from the bottom of the bag and used it all flavours mixed together with good results. That being said, it isn't necessarily my favourite or something I do regularly. The big bowl of dried bread crust gets the most use. One thing I like to use for breading fish is corn flakes or other similar breakfast cereal. Crushed and with a little Greek oregano added it works well for breading white fish like walleye.
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Perhaps. But maybe it's a healthier option in that it doesn't absorb oil or whatever it's cooked in. Sometimes you can get fish in a batter that is a bit...I want to say soggy but that's too much.

I ate this fish using my hands - the others with me had burgers so I wasn't out of place - and they were not greasy like they would be eating the usual battered fish, sausages, whatever. It was light but crunchy.

Possibly there are a few more calories in the 'batter' mix but fewer in the end result with less absorption of fat.
Thanks both. Every time I see a reference to walleye it comes through as WALL·E

I use home gathered breadcrumbs a fair bit but always ground down (I even grind panko down).

The search for "the perfect batter" is an ongoing fun task for me; beer, water - flat or fizzy - herbs, pepper, other spices, the combinations seem endless.

I've had reasonable success using a 'double batter' one dry, one wet, but not yet tried it on fish. Or small robots.

Soggy/greasy to me means that either the oil/fat is knackered and/or is at too low a temperature.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 4:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both. Every time I see a reference to walleye it comes through as WALL·E
For you, use the word zander, except for lacking a white spot on the tail I think it's the same fish.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 5:45 pm
European

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
For you, use the word zander, except for lacking a white spot on the tail I think it's the same fish.
Thanks, that's close enough for me, Wikipedia says of zander "It strongly resembles, both in looks and in taste, the closely related American walleye (Sander vitreus)."

It's 'snoekbaars' in Dutch, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen that either on a restaurant menu or on a fish counter recently.

Good taste and few bones.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 10:46 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Expensive? You surprise me, why is that, do you think?
I don't know Expatrick. It is just the way it is.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 11:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I normally consider $20+ for a big piece of cheese excessive but the Parmigiano Reggiano lasts so long and is so good I consider it a bargain. It probably replaces twice it's price in shaker cans of inferior stuff. Getting near the end of this one as I engineer chicken parm for supper.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.