Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Apr 8th 2019, 11:39 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Food thread

For anything food related. Unusual recipes. Meat substitutes. Whatever you want to do.

I'm starting the ball rolling with the fact that since leaving England I have missed good fish and chips. I tried it in several places and it has been very poor; no better than my local chippy back in Bristol which was absolutely awful.

So called English style fish and chips has not resembled what I had in England (or Wales, come to that) in any way. The best I had was the frozen kind, baked in the oven. Nice enough, but not fish and chips.

It seems to exist elsewhere in Canada, just not my part.

Until shortly before Christmas when a new restaurant - part of the chain Kelseys - opened up. Their menu showed they served Cod and that was at least an improvement on the Pollock that you get every else. It was advertised as breaded. Not as good as batter but it was at least cod.

We went, I had the fish and chips and it was absolutely brilliant. The batter (that was a surprise) was crunchy. It's described as Salt and Vinny Fish and Chips and I did wonder about the vinegar because there wasn't any.

We went again yesterday and it was every bit as good and I paid more attention to the coating this time. I made a discovery.

See, when I read salt and vinegar chips, I'm still thinking English chips, so I'm thinking fish and chips with salt and vinegar.

But the chips are crisps and even though I'm used to that, with a Canadian family who say chips but mean crisps I'm still thinking fries.

So the batter is actually salt and vinegar crisps

Mind you, I would still prefer this version

But for now I'm just happy to have found nice fish and chips once in a while. Of course it's just the fish.

But what else could you do something similar for?

Cheese and Onion crisp batter? Pringles Sour Cream and Onion (my favourite) on what?
Old Apr 8th 2019, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

One food I miss is Mexican food, more specifically what is found in San Diego and other parts of So. California, have never been able to find anything comparable in Vancouver, its one miss I really miss having.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:51 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite Pasta. Various recipes on-line, sounds odd and yuk, but its actually tasty.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have an existing food/recipe thread that was very popular. For those that are interested you can find it here...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/loun...thread-435791/
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:42 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 View Post
Marmite Pasta. Various recipes on-line, sounds odd and yuk, but its actually tasty.
Good to see Marmite has been introduced so early!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:55 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We have an existing food/recipe thread that was very popular.
It started 12 years ago, has about half a dozen posts last year, the most recent of which was August and even that was 7 months after the previous one. It seems to have died before that after I put the kiss of death on it by posting.

I thought it was time for something new but I was also hoping for more than 'just' recipes, although there's room for some of that too, given habits and tastes change.

I see you were busy deleting spam posts.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It started 12 years ago, has about half a dozen posts last year, the most recent of which was August and even that was 7 months after the previous one. It seems to have died before that after I put the kiss of death on it by posting.

I thought it was time for something new but I was also hoping for more than 'just' recipes, although there's room for some of that too, given habits and tastes change.

I see you were busy deleting spam posts.
I know and well done you for opening this thread. I thought foodies may be interested in some of the recipes contained in the old thread.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:03 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

"Child as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:
"Please, sir, I want some more."
The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupefied astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.
"What!" said the master at length, in a faint voice.
"Please, sir," replied Oliver, "I want some more."
The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arms; and shrieked aloud for the beadle."

Found a wonderful caviar restaurant / shop on Sunday, yum...
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:14 pm
A girly swot

Well that was a twist I didn't expect

Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:17 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Meat substitutes. ….
They have no place on a food thread!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:23 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
They have no place on a food thread!
There's certainly no substitute for a juicy (meat) steak, or nice roast pork with crackling, but using Quorn, say, instead of chicken for a curry or stir fry...that's a different kettle of fish.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:44 pm
Dedicated European

There's certainly no substitute for a juicy (meat) steak, or nice roast pork with crackling, but using Quorn, say, instead of chicken for a curry or stir fry...that's a different kettle of fish.
Is Quorn fish?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:49 pm
A girly swot

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Is Quorn fish?
Apparently it can be.

But I've mostly used it as chicken...but not in Canada where it's not allowed.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

A simple question... why do non meat and/or fish eaters want their food to look like meat or fish? For example making a non fish thing look like a fillet of fish?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:19 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
A simple question... why do non meat and/or fish eaters want their food to look like meat or fish? For example making a non fish thing look like a fillet of fish?
Careful now -

I asked recently a similar question about "veggie meatballs" (why not just veggie balls?) - & got a very snotty answer! Unfortunately I can't find aforesaid post.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.