Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Fatty livers & gastro thugs

Fatty livers & gastro thugs

Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:34 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fatty livers & gastro thugs

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Doc has diagnosed salmonella. I'm never eating 'ice cream' again!
Well there's your problem. Fish flavoured ice cream is not good.

Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bugger JS. IBS is no fun at all.

When my daughter was a toddler and we were taking her on holiday, my doctor told me to avoid ice cream and ice. Wise words it seems.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 3:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
When my daughter was a toddler and we were taking her on holiday, my doctor told me to avoid ice cream and ice. Wise words it seems.
Dairy that's been sitting around can definitely be a source, but apparently one of the worst culprits is rice that's been sitting around. I had no idea.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Well there's your problem. Fish flavoured ice cream is not good.
It was even worse than that!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Very wise. I'm usually so careful, but a moment of madness was all it took

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Dairy that's been sitting around can definitely be a source, but apparently one of the worst culprits is rice that's been sitting around. I had no idea.
Funny you should say that - this 'ice cream' had boiled rice in it. And corn, and stalks of lemon grass, and condensed milk. Sounds tasty doesn't it?
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say that - this 'ice cream' had boiled rice in it. And corn, and stalks of lemon grass, and condensed milk. Sounds tasty doesn't it?
Actually it does - but you do have to be careful. As a veteran eater of delicious ice creams from street vendors in sub-tropical central Mexico, don't buy from the ones that keep or keep rinsing their scoops in tubs of water that sit around all day. "Things" grow in there far more than in the ice cream itself which is on ice.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it does - but you do have to be careful. As a veteran eater of delicious ice creams from street vendors in sub-tropical central Mexico, don't buy from the ones that keep or keep rinsing their scoops in tubs of water that sit around all day "Things" grow in there far more than in the ice cream itself which is on ice.
You're a very nice person, but you're mad. It was bloody awful! The shop was a wooden dingy so the scoop was probably washed in the river. The vendor constructed the thing (I'm not going to call it an ice cream any more, there was no ice cream in it!), from an assortment of plastic tubs in the bottom of the boat. I practically invited Sam and Ella in.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:33 pm

You're a very nice person, but you're mad. It was bloody awful! The shop was a wooden dingy so the scoop was probably washed in the river. The vendor constructed the thing (I'm not going to call it an ice cream any more, there was no ice cream in it!), from an assortment of plastic tubs in the bottom of the boat. I practically invited Sam and Ella in.

The fact that you're apparently insane doesn't make me mad. I would not have eaten that.

I've actually been very lucky on my travels, and never had Moctezuma's revenge or anybody else's revenge, although I was stung by scorpions twice. I ate a lot of street food, but it had all been cooked very hot right there in front of me. The ice cream was a guilty pleasure from places like this:

Maybe I have acquired immunity.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 5:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favourite things in Old Mexico was the liquado stand cantelope milkshake made with unpasteurized milk and an egg. I consider myself lucky, despite the barrage of inoculations I had before going. I carried a bottle of chlorine drops and put a couple of blips in each glass of tap water before drinking. I had the quick-step for the first week, but so do most. First thing I ate south of the border was goat barbacoa that had been cooking in the ground for a few days, it was wonderful.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
One of my favourite things in Old Mexico was the liquado stand cantelope milkshake made with unpasteurized milk and an egg. I consider myself lucky, despite the barrage of inoculations I had before going. I carried a bottle of chlorine drops and put a couple of blips in each glass of tap water before drinking. I had the quick-step for the first week, but so do most. First thing I ate south of the border was goat barbacoa that had been cooking in the ground for a few days, it was wonderful.
It's spectacular. And Mexicans don't want to get ill any more than the rest of us As access to clean water improves, so does health.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 15th 2019 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bugger JS. IBS is no fun at all.

Nope it's not, and affects one's life more then many realize even keeps one from being able to work certain kinds of jobs even

Glad the doctor figured out the cause and can now hopefully fix you.

Old Sep 20th 2019, 4:16 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Grapefruit warning

A reminder about what a grapefruit or its juice can do for medication.

I've known for a long time that grapefruit juice can be a problem with some meds and some time ago I made sure not to have any because of one of my prescriptions.
After a time, that medication was cut as no longer needed. I rechecked and was satisfied that nothing I was taking was a problem. So I forgot about it.

Of course just as stopping one particular drug can mean it's no longer an issue, starting a new one could mean it is. So pay attention if that happens to you.

It had been so long that it stopped being relevant for me I didn't check on my last medication change. Luckily it was fine.

But I get the occasional foot tingle/pain (nerve damage from diabetes proor to good control/diagnosis) and it's normally fine with acetaminophen/paracetamol. But sometimes it's not and it messes up a night's sleep. So I take a 5mg Oxycodone - but only at night. Daytime I can just focus on other things. I've done this a few times with no problems.

However, I now have to keep an eye on Potassium intake so I'm cutting out/down tomatoes, leaching or not eating potato and I swapped out orange juice and replaced it with guess what.

I don't drink much juice as it's high in sugar. I just sip some for swallowing pills (it's easier for me than water) and in the event of low blood sugar, I take a few gulps to bring it back up.

So Wednesday night, feeling very tired after a fairly active morning out and about, my sugar levels dropped and I had a few mouthfuls of grapefruit juice.
Later, I was getting a foot tingle that earlier acetaminophen had done nothing for. So I took an Oxycodone going to bed.

Slept like a baby. Got up, everything fine but after two minutes of moving suddenly felt as if I was having a small blood pressure drop - which I'm sometimes familiar with and pass in half a minute. But this time I had the mother of all dizzy spells. Had to hold the sink to stay upright.

It subsided enough to get back to bed where, of course, it ended and I've been fine since.

Later I checked and Oxycodone is indeed one of those where any side effects are likely to be exacerbated with grapefruit juice.

So I've had an important reminder and am now giving everyone else one.

Double check what meds you take and see if there's a problem if you eat grapefruit or its juice. And keep checking in the event of a meds change.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 5:23 pm

Default Re: A Grapefruit warning

I've known for a long time that grapefruit juice can be a problem with some meds and some time ago I made sure not to have any because of one of my prescriptions.
After a time, that medication was cut as no longer needed. I rechecked and was satisfied that nothing I was taking was a problem. So I forgot about it.

Of course just as stopping one particular drug can mean it's no longer an issue, starting a new one could mean it is. So pay attention if that happens to you.

It had been so long that it stopped being relevant for me I didn't check on my last medication change. Luckily it was fine.

But I get the occasional foot tingle/pain (nerve damage from diabetes proor to good control/diagnosis) and it's normally fine with acetaminophen/paracetamol. But sometimes it's not and it messes up a night's sleep. So I take a 5mg Oxycodone - but only at night. Daytime I can just focus on other things. I've done this a few times with no problems.

However, I now have to keep an eye on Potassium intake so I'm cutting out/down tomatoes, leaching or not eating potato and I swapped out orange juice and replaced it with guess what.

I don't drink much juice as it's high in sugar. I just sip some for swallowing pills (it's easier for me than water) and in the event of low blood sugar, I take a few gulps to bring it back up.

So Wednesday night, feeling very tired after a fairly active morning out and about, my sugar levels dropped and I had a few mouthfuls of grapefruit juice.
Later, I was getting a foot tingle that earlier acetaminophen had done nothing for. So I took an Oxycodone going to bed.

Slept like a baby. Got up, everything fine but after two minutes of moving suddenly felt as if I was having a small blood pressure drop - which I'm sometimes familiar with and pass in half a minute. But this time I had the mother of all dizzy spells. Had to hold the sink to stay upright.

It subsided enough to get back to bed where, of course, it ended and I've been fine since.

Later I checked and Oxycodone is indeed one of those where any side effects are likely to be exacerbated with grapefruit juice.

So I've had an important reminder and am now giving everyone else one.

Double check what meds you take and see if there's a problem if you eat grapefruit or its juice. And keep checking in the event of a meds change.

Wtf is it with grapefruit? It's dangerous with statins, too, apparently.

And why not other citrus?
Old Sep 20th 2019, 6:07 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>But this time I had the mother of all dizzy spells. Had to hold the sink to stay upright.

It subsided enough to get back to bed where, of course, it ended and I've been fine since. </snip>

Solid advice, also reminds me of potassium as pointed out up thread by 007Steve and Expatrick.

I had a horrible period of dizzy spells - when shifting from being seated to being upright - a couple of years back, doc said low blood pressure, but I had an idea that it was some kind of 'reactionary cocktail' as described here. I'll check my notes.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 6:15 pm
A girly swot

Wtf is it with grapefruit? It's dangerous with statins, too, apparently.

And why not other citrus?
Fortunately my Rosuvastatin (Crestor) is okay but Atorvastatin (Lipitor) may not be. Both statins.

Old Sep 20th 2019, 8:05 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

My Mother, who had a mild stroke some 15 years ago, has been told, emphatically, DO NOT EAT GRAPEFRUIT!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.