Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

The Christmas Thread

The Christmas Thread

Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:08 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christmas Thread

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not even remotely Christian, I just think the music and the place are lovely, and when you sit there, or in one of the great cathedrals, and listen to the music and the voices floating about it's spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtiCLJvyePw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HErO89bEl8g
I'm right with you there. Christmas music is great, and doubly so when it's in a +/- 1,000 year-old stone building all echoey and atmospheric.
Oh
Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I'm right with you there. Christmas music is great, and doubly so when it's in a +/- 1,000 year-old stone building all echoey and atmospheric.
Oh

Last time I was at a carol service, it was at Winchester Cathedral a few years ago. I took the Little Lion since I though he should have exactly that experience. He hadn't grown up singing them of course, like I did, and the Bishop in all his get up made him think he was in a medieval story - but of course that was part of the point.

Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:24 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I was at a carol service, it was at Winchester Cathedral a few years ago. I took the Little Lion since I though he should have exactly that experience. He hadn't grown up singing them of course, like I did, and the Bishop in all his get up made him think he was in a medieval story - but of course that was part of the point.

Beautiful building. I grew up Anglican and every Sunday we went to a church that was started in about 1180. Not quite as impressive as Winchester, mind you, but still impressive in its own way.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful building. I grew up Anglican and every Sunday we went to a church that was started in about 1180. Not quite as impressive as Winchester, mind you, but still impressive in its own way.

Little, ancient churches are good too, even the simplest.

Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:48 pm
Hail Satan!

They are, but mine falls somewhere in between. Don't have any of the inside but here is a picture I took a few years back.

Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:12 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

A bit off topic (aren't we all?!!) but for my 50th we went to Santiago de Compostela, not because of any religious leanings, but because anywhere that has been visited by people for over 1000 years had to be "special". What we didn't know was that this happened to be one of the "special" years for Santiago, where the main doors of the Cathedral were open and many events were taking place and, amazingly, we picked a dry, sunny week in a region renowned for rain (they say when the Celts sailed from Galicia to Ireland they didn't notice any change in the weather!!).

So, after a brilliant chocolate con churros in the old market, we went to a Mass in the Cathedral for the spectacle - and what a spectacle it was! From an incense-burner the size of a washing machine swinging across the heads of the congregation pulled by half a dozen men, to the many priests celebrating each in their own language and to the nun who sang the responses in a voice so perfect it ripped you up. Santiago was great on many levels, but that hour was never to be forgotten!

Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:14 pm

Don't tell me the UK is full of nothing but angry people. This is a lovely old geezer as are the young people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-50760...ed-with-a-tree
Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:15 pm

They are, but mine falls somewhere in between. Don't have any of the inside but here is a picture I took a few years back.
Interesting history.

Saint Nicholas Church, Carrickfergus
Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
A bit off topic (aren't we all?!!) but for my 50th we went to Santiago de Compostela, not because of any religious leanings, but because anywhere that has been visited by people for over 1000 years had to be "special". What we didn't know was that this happened to be one of the "special" years for Santiago, where the main doors of the Cathedral were open and many events were taking place and, amazingly, we picked a dry, sunny week in a region renowned for rain (they say when the Celts sailed from Galicia to Ireland they didn't notice any change in the weather!!).

So, after a brilliant chocolate con churros in the old market, we went to a Mass in the Cathedral for the spectacle - and what a spectacle it was! From an incense-burner the size of a washing machine swinging across the heads of the congregation pulled by half a dozen men, to the many priests celebrating each in their own language and to the nun who sang the responses in a voice so perfect it ripped you up. Santiago was great on many levels, but that hour was never to be forgotten!

I hope they check the condition of the rope and the knot on that censer regularly.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:29 pm
Hail Satan!

It is a bit, yeah. The Normans sure loved building castles and cathedrals though, didn't they?
Old Dec 12th 2019, 3:29 pm

It is a bit, yeah. The Normans sure loved building castles and cathedrals though, didn't they?

Hearts and minds. Also, force.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are! Whenever I'm in England I check out as many little village churches as practical. As a family-history fan, I especially love seeing where my ancestors went to church.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Yes they are! Whenever I'm in England I check out as many little village churches as practical. As a family-history fan, I especially love seeing where my ancestors went to church.

My great grandfather was Rector of this one, in Sussex.

Old Dec 12th 2019, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

My great grandfather was Rector of this one, in Sussex.
Ahh, I envy you! None of my ancestors was ever a rector - as far as I've been able to discover. But I have vivid memories of the churches of All Cannings in Wilts, Widcombe in Bath, and (of course!) Barlow in Derbyshire. I was saddened to see that some of "my" Herefordshire churches had been allowed to deteriorate. Much Cowarne and four nearby churches were locked and inaccessible because they all shared one priest, and he was never at the one I wanted to see the inside of.

My favourite of all time is the Bathampton parish church outside Bath where my English grandfather was baptised.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Ahh, I envy you! None of my ancestors was ever a rector - as far as I've been able to discover. But I have vivid memories of the churches of All Cannings in Wilts, Widcombe in Bath, and (of course!) Barlow in Derbyshire. I was saddened to see that some of "my" Herefordshire churches had been allowed to deteriorate. Much Cowarne and four nearby churches were locked and inaccessible because they all shared one priest, and he was never at the one I wanted to see the inside of.

My favourite of all time is the Bathampton parish church outside Bath where my English grandfather was baptised.

All Cannings - not that far from Great Cheverell, where some friends of our lived in the Old Rectory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.