Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Like catching an STD from a tractor seat!

( Seinfeld addict...sorry!)

ha ha I forgot how funny that episode was....

Old Nov 29th 2020, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
ha ha I forgot how funny that episode was....

https://youtu.be/pQ73NKS3B1c?t=89
A real classic!
Old Nov 29th 2020, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
My direct manager has been great in checking how I'm doing, but I think I'm making some of the Control Room staff uncomfortable

Our Control Room has to call staff to try and cover shifts, and the first question they alawys ask is "How are you today?"

So I tell them I'm feeling emotional, as I was officially diagnosed with Leukaemia last week (it was actually a few weeks ago) and that I'm having a bad time processing it (I'm not really ).

Cue uncomfortable silence, followed by, "I'm sorry to have disturbed you." Then they hang up.

AITA?
YNTA!! Good thinking, I say.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 10:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Ugh, nasty. My father had it on his face and head. No joke at all.

Also, still get the vaccine. Unlike CP, you can get shingles more than once.
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Be careful with this. It can come and go . Half the time you don't realise it is flaring until it flares which is too late for any anti-viral med. If you can obtain and be given the vaccine then do that kimilseung. I will be doing that this year as it is now affordably available for me. I've had some really nasty reoccurrences over the years, mostly when I am somewhat run down.

Hope this is the end of it for you.
I fully expect my doctor to say you can't get it again - or most people don't get it again - when I ask him about the vaccine. One of my brothers says he has flare ups, usually when down but I think that might be his way of saying stressed.

I'm not going through this again. Being in bed for 12 hours overnight as well as going back there morning and afternoon because there's only one position for relief - on my left side - and then getting a bit of an ache in my left thigh from spending so much time lying on it. No painkiller worked although the odd oxy fugged up my head so I slept. Three nights I thought I was done for until I got to lie down.

@ Bevs Have your flare ups begun the same way?

Old Nov 29th 2020, 10:36 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
@ Bevs Have your flare ups begun the same way?
No. Not really although they are all similar. I have had several flare ups over the years following the mighty first time. None as bad as the first mind you.
Usually I just feel a bit off to start with . A bit headachy and achy. Like the start of a flu bug. Just a big ugh and fuggy which does not go away.
Then I realise there is a little outbreak by which time it is of course too late. Normally not too many pustules but enough to be painful and uncomfy where they turn up. For me that can be more from lower body down one of my legs passing --- um ---- nether regions as it all follows the nerve lines. Sometimes it is around my face and mouth.
It zaps you.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 11:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No. Not really although they are all similar. I have had several flare ups over the years following the mighty first time. None as bad as the first mind you.
Well I suppose that's some comfort. Thanks for info.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 12:29 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose that's some comfort. Thanks for info.
OK. Welcome. I think perhaps it will be a bit different for everyone. Get the vaccine if you can. I should be able to get it this year and will be thankful for that.

-- and ---- Not sure how long it has been with you now but I hope it fades off shortly.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:00 am
Oscar nominated

OK. Welcome. I think perhaps it will be a bit different for everyone.
I think so too apart from 3-5 weeks seems to be normal.
-- and ---- Not sure how long it has been with you now but I hope it fades off shortly.
Thanks Four weeks this weekend but the first 10 days or so it was only mild discomfort.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I fully expect my doctor to say you can't get it again - or most people don't get it again - when I ask him about the vaccine. One of my brothers says he has flare ups, usually when down but I think that might be his way of saying stressed.

I'm not going through this again. Being in bed for 12 hours overnight as well as going back there morning and afternoon because there's only one position for relief - on my left side - and then getting a bit of an ache in my left thigh from spending so much time lying on it. No painkiller worked although the odd oxy fugged up my head so I slept. Three nights I thought I was done for until I got to lie down.
I completely missed this. I'm so sorry you have this horrible thing Bristol, from the little I know about shingles (Mum had it) it's a hellishly painful thing. Everything crossed that it's over for you soon you poor thing
Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I completely missed this. I'm so sorry you have this horrible thing Bristol, from the little I know about shingles (Mum had it) it's a hellishly painful thing. Everything crossed that it's over for you soon you poor thing
I think the home straight is in sight now, thanks. It's been painful leaning over the keyboard for more than a line or two. I hope to be able to give everyone the benefit of my wisdom more thoroughly soon.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think the home straight is in sight now, thanks. It's been painful leaning over the keyboard for more than a line or two. I hope to be able to give everyone the benefit of my wisdom more thoroughly soon.
You've really been through the wringer. You won't know yourself when you're 100% again - I hope that's very soon
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

On the bright side Bristol...you will be as good as new for Christmas.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:11 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

This should maybe be in the pithed off thread because I am so fed up what with one thing and another.

MrBEVS has an underactive thyroid. Has had for donkeys years and that runs in his family on his mother's side. Obviously he takes meds for that but the practice got slack on the blood tests recall , perhaps because of covid , so he and I agreed he would go and ask for that to get it done.

First result in is that his liver enzymes GGT are highly elevated . Well - yeh - and - so - and - we have been trying to get further with this for donkeys years as his Dad died through liver cancer.
Even when MrBEVS went totally teetotal for 18 months ,as the GP at the time would not believe he was not a heavy drinker in any way , the GGT did not reduce. In fact it went higher ! That all fell on cloth ears and nothing further has ever been investigated. All that is noted is the GGT is chronically elevated for years. BTW MrBEVS has never smoked and maybe has a few , as in 3 to 4 , bottles of beer of a weekend. He cannot hold booze. He falls asleep.

So what did I see against the latest high elevated GGT result from the blood test. He needs to cut down or stop alcohol ! I am beyond irritation with this. The assumption rather than look at the history and think oops. Something else may be awry here.

Now I face the hurdle of getting MrBEVS back down to the quack to remonstrate a bit over this untruth and have that note removed.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

This should maybe be in the pithed off thread because I am so fed up what with one thing and another.

MrBEVS has an underactive thyroid. Has had for donkeys years and that runs in his family on his mother's side. Obviously he takes meds for that but the practice got slack on the blood tests recall , perhaps because of covid , so he and I agreed he would go and ask for that to get it done.

First result in is that his liver enzymes GGT are highly elevated . Well - yeh - and - so - and - we have been trying to get further with this for donkeys years as his Dad died through liver cancer.
Even when MrBEVS went totally teetotal for 18 months ,as the GP at the time would not believe he was not a heavy drinker in any way , the GGT did not reduce. In fact it went higher ! That all fell on cloth ears and nothing further has ever been investigated. All that is noted is the GGT is chronically elevated for years. BTW MrBEVS has never smoked and maybe has a few , as in 3 to 4 , bottles of beer of a weekend. He cannot hold booze. He falls asleep.

So what did I see against the latest high elevated GGT result from the blood test. He needs to cut down or stop alcohol ! I am beyond irritation with this. The assumption rather than look at the history and think oops. Something else may be awry here.

Now I face the hurdle of getting MrBEVS back down to the quack to remonstrate a bit over this untruth and have that note removed.
Yep, having the same problem although the doctor I see for diabetes/ thyroid problem is a lot better than my regular PCP. He checks my liver functions every 3 months now and they are still elevated, not as much as they were in July but the same questions are asked each time: How much do you drink? Same answer: I do not drink alcohol at all!!!
It is frustrating. Sorry to hear Mr B has this problem and with no soloution

Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Yep, having the same problem although the doctor I see for diabetes/ thyroid problem is a lot better than my regular PCP. He checks my liver functions every 3 months now and they are still elevated, not as much as they were in July but the same questions are asked each time: How much do you drink? Same answer: I do not drink alcohol at all!!!
It is frustrating. Sorry to hear Mr B has this problem and with no soloution
I've had the same sort of issue but with Cholesterol. My levels were high for a while so had to keep a diary of every food eaten and drink drunk. Kept that up for a month, doctor went through it and agreed my diet was more than fine and Cholesterol was obviously nothing to do with diet and just 'me'. Every time the hospital check up for other stuff note the levels I get told to change my diet even though my doctors notes on the subject are in their system and are highlighted.

Last time I had my hospital check up I was asked if I had been doing my bone strengthening exercises to help with my Osteoarthritis. I said I don't have Osteoarthritis. He said yes you do, your levels are too whatever. I asked him what he was measuring them against, he said 'in a normal person'. That got my back up. I asked who the 'normal' person was. He said he thought it was someone in their 30s. I suggested he look at women in their early 60s who've had Hysterectomies. He looked a bit sheepish, did as I asked and then said 'Oh yeah, you're normal on that chart.' Arsehole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.