Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 6:50 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

In between the Wikipedia page and the myriad other pages out there concerning the B group of vitamins I found this useful information from a good source.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/...ving/vitamin-b
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fatty livers - no gastro thugs this time.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I’m resurrecting this thread as it seems that it’s related to my recent episode of vasculitis as mentioned elsewhere. Sorry this is a bit of a long read.

<ramble>

What aggravated the current round of vasculitis was without doubt me; it comes and goes over periods of weeks or months, as it has done for three or four years now, only ever on the forearms; on occasion it can be quite itchy. This last time I was aware of the itch on one arm and had applied some cream before retiring. I awoke in the middle of the night feeling that something was ‘not quite right’ to find that I had obviously been scratching in my sleep, and the forearm was bleeding profusely in a couple of places. I applied a makeshift dressing to get through the night, and a closer inspection the next day prompted the visit to A&E.

My Swiss doctors had been aware of this and had said of no concern, but in fairness (??) it had never presented anywhere near that severely before.

A&E kicked me out having cleansed and dressed the wounds and supplied a referral letter for a dermatologist with whom I could only get an appointment a few weeks hence, so I got an appointment with the new family doctor for a second opinion a week ago. She pulled blood and booked me in for an abdominal ultrasound, and was back to see her Friday just gone to go through the results.

Fatty liver (again), other organs ok, but the bloodwork is apparently all over the shop.

Also I was down to my last two PPI’s - I’d been eking them out – so mentioned that that had been causing some mealtime discomfort of late. Was told to come off alcohol, was prescribed vitamins B1/B2/B6/B12 and folic acid, along with Xanax in case I wanted to come off alcohol cold turkey, and a new round of PPI’s.

Then on to diet, stop:

Fried food - I only eat fried food about once a fortnight, so playing that by ear.
White bread – I’m a wholemeal person.
Rice and pasta – bugger, that’ll be tricky.
Red meat – this surprised me.
Sugary drinks – I said my drink of choice is apple juice, she said ‘no’. This has me scrambling for Nutri-score info as I can easily get through a liter and a half a day, found an alternative with 50% sugar, and if I reduce daily consumption by 50%, that should do it. Sort of.

What I should be eating/drinking more of:
Avocado – no probs.
Walnuts – no probs.
Green veggies – ramp up the soup production.
Fish – I will need to swap out fish cakes for fish pie.
Oatmeal, but not muesli (?) – Ok, change of breakfast cereal.
Coffee – I’d been off for the best part of a year, may need to look at de-caff.
Green tea – no bloody way, I find it disgusting.
Milk/soya drink – no probs.

Get on with that and come back in a month for more bloodwork. There may be another ultrasound and maybe yet another gastroscopy in the offing though.

The vasculitis itself is healing very well, should only need dressing changing for another couple of days.

</ramble>

Sideline here is that as I still don't have my ID card, it's Pay As You Go - the doctors have bank-card readers, so she printed an invoice, I paid on the spot, coming home I checked a Swiss medical bill for a similar consultation period, this was about one sixth of the price. Also, the hospital, doctor and pharmacies all have access to the same database, so I can go to any pharmacy, show my registration number and that's sorted.
What about Bananas BB? They're slow release sugar but are high in .... Something... I'm still used into leeches.....
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:58 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fatty livers - no gastro thugs this time.

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
What about Bananas BB? They're slow release sugar but are high in .... Something... I'm still used into leeches.....
Potassium I believe, but I believe that can be a problem for the kidneys - again, not sure!
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:21 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Potassium I believe, but I believe that can be a problem for the kidneys - again, not sure!
I missed bananas off the list, they're definitely on there - anything to make the oats more palatable - and both radiologist and doctor said that the kidneys are fine.

They're good for vitamin B6 and provide a small amount of protein. The potassium would only be a potential problem if I were to pig-out on them repeatedly.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:24 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I missed bananas off the list, they're definitely on there - anything to make the oats more palatable - and both radiologist and doctor said that the kidneys are fine.

They're good for vitamin B6 and provide a small amount of protein. The potassium would only be a potential problem if I were to pig-out on them repeatedly.
Good news, I've ordered the shares in bananas!
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:43 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Good news, I've ordered the shares in bananas!
And Marmite.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:46 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

What about exercise? Have you been put on a regimen of forced marches?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:50 am
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
And Marmite.

Old Feb 4th 2019, 1:16 pm
European

What about exercise? Have you been put on a regimen of forced marches?
I've been told to increase exercise, therein comes a slight problem due to the 'popped discs' in my back, it's still very weak. I can walk ok - I really need a stick for more than fifteen minutes or so - but I can't stand still for more than a couple of minutes at a time, which gets me some sideways glances in queues - "I don't remember him in the Full Monty post office scene". Also we're still moving furniture and stuff around a lot, and along with my now 'almost finished (yay!)' Cabinet project, my back gives out fairly quickly.

I'm using a Thera-Band to get strength up in the legs and arms, but there's no substitute for the real thing, I try and go around the block - about 15 minutes - when it's not tipping down, but definitely need to put more work into it.

When travelling by air I swap the walking cane for a crutch, which does wonders for the sympathy factor.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 4:56 pm

I've been told to increase exercise, therein comes a slight problem due to the 'popped discs' in my back, it's still very weak. I can walk ok - I really need a stick for more than fifteen minutes or so - but I can't stand still for more than a couple of minutes at a time, which gets me some sideways glances in queues - "I don't remember him in the Full Monty post office scene". Also we're still moving furniture and stuff around a lot, and along with my now 'almost finished (yay!)' Cabinet project, my back gives out fairly quickly.

I'm using a Thera-Band to get strength up in the legs and arms, but there's no substitute for the real thing, I try and go around the block - about 15 minutes - when it's not tipping down, but definitely need to put more work into it.

When travelling by air I swap the walking cane for a crutch, which does wonders for the sympathy factor.

Had you thought about one of those recumbent stationary bikes? You can exercise sitting down! And you can listen to music or watch a movie. What more could a person ask for?

Old Feb 4th 2019, 5:52 pm
European

Had you thought about one of those recumbent stationary bikes? You can exercise sitting down! And you can listen to music or watch a movie. What more could a person ask for?
That hadn't crossed my mind, thank you for the idea. I shall start researching.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

At a certain age everything begins to fall apart no matter what you do. One thinks of the past more than the future.
In the immortal words of Morrissey " I think about life And I think about death. And neither one particularly appeals to me"
Old Feb 4th 2019, 6:20 pm

That hadn't crossed my mind, thank you for the idea. I shall start researching.

You can probably eat frites and mayo while on that thing.

Seriously though, it supports the back but allows you to work your legs and get a bit of cardio in too. And if you invest in some handheld weights, you can wave those around while you pedal and get in a bit of upper-body exercise.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 6:40 pm
European

You can probably eat frites and mayo while on that thing.

Seriously though, it supports the back but allows you to work your legs and get a bit of cardio in too. And if you invest in some handheld weights, you can wave those around while you pedal and get in a bit of upper-body exercise.
Frites and mayo would be the reward after working out.

I already have some handheld weights, straight after the disc hernia I really needed to get my upper body muscles in proper shape.

I've found a reasonably priced recumbent trainer here, but as just been pointed out, going out walking will help to strengthen my back whereas this type of machine won't. I'm not dismissing it though - even if OH already has.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 6:47 pm

Frites and mayo would be the reward after working out.

I already have some handheld weights, straight after the disc hernia I really needed to get my upper body muscles in proper shape.

I've found a reasonably priced recumbent trainer here, but as just been pointed out, going out walking will help to strengthen my back whereas this type of machine won't. I'm not dismissing it though - even if OH already has.
I would say that walking and recumbent biking are not either/or. It's both. Walking will strengthen your back, but if you can't do it for very long yet it won't do much for you on the use blood sugar and calories/improve cardio fitness/improve blood lipids front.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.