Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:50 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
What you should have done is hit the ‘report post’ icon. That way as mod for this forum I would have seen it.

Anyways...all well that ends well. This thread has now sprung into life.
The triangular warning thingy bottom right? I will try and remember that. Thank you

Left, left, good grief. Bedtime, methinks.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
The triangular warning thingy bottom right? I will try and remember that. Thank you

Left, left, good grief. Bedtime, methinks.
Yup...that’s the one. That sends an email to the mods for that forum, all supermods and BEVS. There is usually one of us around to help out.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:03 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty as charged.

Heck I never even thought about the other potential meaning, not that I would ever use that term.
It's all integral.
I was also meaning moments of the mini eruption kind. I have volcanoes on my mind at the moment.

Now I'm in trouble too for being off topic.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:54 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
It's all integral.
I was also meaning moments of the mini eruption kind. I have volcanoes on my mind at the moment.

Now I'm in trouble too for being off topic.
Good thread in the making.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... Wheeze, cough & drag... 'If you don't cut out the cheese, fish & chips, sausages & the red wine, you won't make 50!" thundered the inspecting Dr, at my induction annual insurance co. medical. He gave me a long printed list of no-no items. So I left him to take another drag on his fag balanced on an ashtray filled with butts.....
I still have his list somewhere, rather faded though......

Love that The heart surgeon in NL who I nicknamed 'Bubble Boy' on my first visit to him.( he being as tall as he was round, maybe 20 stone) Told me 'conversationally', as he squeezed behind his desk .That after six months of periodically testing me, terrorising me, and giving birth to the Phobia I am now :stuck with. there was nothing wrong with me or my heart. Altho... He staring hard at my boobs. You could lose some weight.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 8:56 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

The triangular warning thingy bottom right? I will try and remember that..
Said the trainee gastro surgeon!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 9:40 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have just discovered that one of the symptoms of a fatty liver is - confusion, that explains a lot!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:17 pm
Dedicated European

Something we have been taking for years is a Soya based natural product, LECITHIN, laughingly known as fat pills! These are a source of choline, glycine, necessary to synthesise betaine, good for metabolising fat & for cell health. Not sure why we started taking these but reading up today they seem to be a "very good thing".
In fact an ex colleague of mine (ex Nurse) who was very big into vitamins, supplements, etc waxed lyrical about Lecithin.

Also essential, B12, as found in Marmite - there, got the thread round to Marmite, now someone just needs to bring Father Ted into context "Oh no, not Toilet Duck again"!

Thinking on, its a shame for us that BB is moving to BE. With his over enthusiastic gastro thug on board and for a small consideration we could have used BB as our surrogate patient for consultancy purposes and cut out visiting the Doctor ourselves!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 5:28 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
... we could have used BB as our surrogate patient for consultancy purposes ...
In your dreams!

I shall continue to report back obviously, but I won't be missing gastro thug at all...

In a weird kind of way I'm sort of looking forward to that part of the migration. We know already that our healthcare costs will be around 25% of what we pay here today, and OH is convinced that the coverage (and service overall) is better than here. My eldest B-I-L spent a chunk of time in one of the best hospitals around Antwerp about this time last year, we visited a couple of times, and I was very impressed with what I saw of the hospital and staff. They also got him up and running again and back on the golf course fairly quickly, which is where the sad git is really at home.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:55 pm
European

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
I have just discovered that one of the symptoms of a fatty liver is - confusion, that explains a lot!
Alright, I'll bite - but I'm convinced that you're messing with me.

The confusion thing has been interesting me for some time now - no idea for how long - but I just had it down to the ageing process, fatigue and the general 'spread of stuff' that can come and go as one continues on with this hoop-jumping business.

My 'bottom right', no, no, left, left of the other evening is a perfect example. I knew where the icon was, but the message got transomethinged somewhere along the line. I don't try to hold too much in my head these days; my previous almost 'photographic memory' seems to have deserted me since stopping work, so what's with that? Pressure off my boy, just write it down, and sort it in a timely fashion?

In the words of the brilliant Robert Palmer (RIP), I'm looking for clues.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 10:11 pm
Dedicated European

The confusion thing has been interesting me for some time now - no idea for how long - but I just had it down to the ageing process, fatigue and the general 'spread of stuff' that can come and go as one continues on with this hoop-jumping business.

My 'bottom right', no, no, left, left of the other evening is a perfect example. I knew where the icon was, but the message got transomethinged somewhere along the line. I don't try to hold too much in my head these days; my previous almost 'photographic memory' seems to have deserted me since stopping work, so what's with that? Pressure off my boy, just write it down, and sort it in a timely fashion?

I must admit the confusion thing was a new one on me!

Short term memory is a strange thing, it has to be worked vigorously & constantly.
That's why road signs at roundabouts etc are repeated so quickly!

My career forced me to develop mine considerably but since retiring it has left me, probably never to be seen again!

​​​​
Old Jul 5th 2018, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

.... I have a theory on tha BB (Yes, 3Volt brain* here has an opinion).
Work of a kind that's repetitive acts as both a basic 'floor' stress & at the same time provides a calming atmosphere - ie. the brain & body adapts and, providing regular rest is included, that norm provides a sort of anaesthetic to performance, for the regular absorbtion of detail and data. When you stop work the brain feels deprived like someone suddenly giving up sugar or alcohol; - it will feel confused. Memory does decay with age, but that's natural. I was told one way to check for STM problems is to write a three word phrase, cover it, and then try & write the letters backwards.
(* Think I'll go & tell a pilot how to fly his plane now)
Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:05 pm
European

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
.... I have a theory on tha BB (Yes, 3Volt brain* here has an opinion).
Work of a kind that's repetitive acts as both a basic 'floor' stress & at the same time provides a calming atmosphere - ie. the brain & body adapts and, providing regular rest is included, that norm provides a sort of anaesthetic to performance, for the regular absorbtion of detail and data. When you stop work the brain feels deprived like someone suddenly giving up sugar or alcohol; - it will feel confused. Memory does decay with age, but that's natural. I was told one way to check for STM problems is to write a three word phrase, cover it, and then try & write the letters backwards.
(* Think I'll go & tell a pilot how to fly his plane now)
I'll be back on this one.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:35 pm
European

Got a call late this afternoon from my GP. How is it going, are you ok?

No I am bloody well not, Switzerland just got dumped out of the world cup.

Oh well, never mind, do you want to come and talk about vitamins?

You're on.

And we did, just after lunchtime. It's taken me months to work out that the whole practice 'comes down' for an hour and a half over lunch, so it's only the 'trusted' patients that get seen during that window.

I pitched up early, receptionist looked up and said "I thought it was tomorrow", I replied "Hope not, I'll be ways away".

Receptionist diasppears, doc back in one minute; "So how's it going?"

"Good-ish, happy to hear your thoughts".

"Ok, I looked at all the screenings, and have had all the bloodwork run as in ALL the blood work. Shall we start with that"?

"Sure". Mostly ok, certain deficiences, so I want to bump up vitamin B3 - I asked about B12, she said no.

Next Folic acid - vitamin D3, Colecalciferolo - English explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholecalciferol

That's about it, you?

PPIs kicking in well, oedema coming down but still suffering with this heat. An aquaintance suggested Lecitithin, soya based, anything there? That's not in our "Medicine for dummies" book, ask in a pharmacy.

Ok, so over to the tests over the last three weeks, I've been through the results of all three tests; MRI/scan was perfect, and the second 'quickie' showed the spine looking better than 15 months ago.

The Gastroscopy also ok, a small amount of inflammation in stomach and oesophagus, but the PPIs should short that.

Final 'deep dive' MRI also perfect, liver a teensy bit fatty, absolutely no cause for concern.

That just leaves the final colonoscopy, which 'G-T' <= my term wants in the next couple of weeks. I went into a rant about how I wasn't going to be around and found the whole thing exaggerated.

She grinned and said "I agree entirely, it's not required yet in my opinion. I've prescribed enough meds for three months, so you can get up and running in your new found village".

How do you want your medical records, email or do we photocopy them?

Love her, who wouldn't...

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jul 5th 2018 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:46 pm
Dedicated European

. That's not in our "Medicine for dummies" book, ask in a pharmacy.
I reckon we'll be writing that soon!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.