Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Elton John's latest autobiography is reported to be a lot of fun.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 11:34 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Elton John's latest autobiography is reported to be a lot of fun.
Was there an earlier version?
Old Oct 17th 2019, 3:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Was there an earlier version?
I must have had a senior moment or something. I could have sworn the Guardian's review of "Me" contained a reference to an earlier autobiography but I've just re-read it and I see nothing to suggest that.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
.... Not a single reference to brave and defiant women such as Emily Hobhouse or Elise Hampel.... I wonder if she had it ghost-written for her Geni....

Maybe because many in the establishment felt that Emily Hobhouse was a traitor in supporting the Boers ,even thought she did it for humanitarian reasons ( which I would personally have agreed with )
Elise Hampel was German so probable didn't qualify for a book about British women
Old Oct 31st 2019, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Low level hell. A book about a scout helicopter pilot in Vietnam.Their job was to fly low to encourage the enemy to shoot at them so the Apache killer helicopters could locate them. Fasinating read.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 5:36 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Low level hell. A book about a scout helicopter pilot in Vietnam.Their job was to fly low to encourage the enemy to shoot at them so the Apache killer helicopters could locate them. Fasinating read.
I might have a go at that if I can find it anywhere.

About to read The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth .
Hopefully and simply for possible entertainment value within the pages. My MIL was such that I renamed her Smother-In-Law . May she RIP but honestly she was a trial to my patience, wit and heart.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:08 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

The guvnor, autobiography of Lenny McLean. Barry the Baptist in lock stock. A genuinely hard man physically and mentally. Makes you appreciate your upbringing too, his stepfather was knocking him about from age 5, his dad died at 28, his mum at 42. Great book.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I might have a go at that if I can find it anywhere.

About to read The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth .
Hopefully and simply for possible entertainment value within the pages. My MIL was such that I renamed her Smother-In-Law . May she RIP but honestly she was a trial to my patience, wit and heart.
Bought on kindle books
Old Nov 1st 2019, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
The guvnor, autobiography of Lenny McLean. Barry the Baptist in lock stock. A genuinely hard man physically and mentally. Makes you appreciate your upbringing too, his stepfather was knocking him about from age 5, his dad died at 28, his mum at 42. Great book.
I read this book quite a while ago and would recommend it to every one i read it in a few nights.Their used to be a bloke who lived in the same city as me he just like McLean a known sorter outer.When i was an apprentice he turned up on site i was on i told him i knew him he lived near my nan we became sort of friends and he said to me, you need me nipper you know where i am i did once he took care of it no more prob,s.a hard man . But a softy at heart he used to dress up as farther Christmas and hand Christmas presents out to the kids in the streets and did a lot of charity work
Old Nov 1st 2019, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Moneyland, by Oliver Bullough - recently published by Profile Books,

If you've lived by the Rules and by 'playing the game' but find it increasingly difficult to keep your temper these days, or your living standard, then DON'T-READ-THIS-BOOK.
Seriously.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:34 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Bought on kindle books
Wonderful. I do not own a kindle thing. 😛
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:52 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Their used to be a bloke who lived in the same city as me he just like McLean a known sorter outer.When i was an apprentice he turned up on site i was on i told him i knew him he lived near my nan we became sort of friends and he said to me, you need me nipper you know where i am i did once he took care of it no more prob,s.a hard man . But a softy at heart he used to dress up as farther Christmas and hand Christmas presents out to the kids in the streets and did a lot of charity work
His name wasn't Dinsdale was it, by any chance?

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
His name wasn't Dinsdale was it, by any chance?
I do not want to say his name because, well you know?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I,m sure you can buy it there in paper back and hardback as well on a kindle,finished it last night great read
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

BEVS ___ I vowed never to get a Kindle---- ' must hold a book I said'----- then about three years ago got one! Haven't put it down since.
Can take 'hundreds' of books while travelling, most 'classics' free, other books less expensive. Only negative ----not possible to view illustrations properly.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.